Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > Single Stack or Production

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 01:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 10 Posts

Default Single Stack or Production

About a year ago I went to my first and only pistol shoot and had a blast (no pun intended). When I signed up at the range office a buddy of mine, who is a regular competitor, told me that the S&W 4506 I was shooting qualified me for the Single Stack Division. After the shoot I joined the USPSA and after reviewing the rules I believe I should have been in the production division. Can anyone tell me what division I should be in?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-10-2012, 04:01 AM   #2

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 19

From my understanding(which is VERY limited) production class is "stock service pistol's." completely stock. No mods and that means NO mods.(extended slide release, upgraded guide rod, etc) whereas the single stack class is much more loose with the regulations. So you'd be running against the guys with the race gun 1911's and tricked out pea shooters! I myself prefer production because it allows you to see how you stack up against "shooters" not their "hardware."

If you've got one foot in yesterday, and the other in tomorrow, than you're pissing on today.
-unknown-

Old 10-10-2012, 04:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrthWhytHype
From my understanding(which is VERY limited) production class is "stock service pistol's." completely stock. No mods and that means NO mods.(extended slide release, upgraded guide rod, etc) whereas the single stack class is much more loose with the regulations. So you'd be running against the guys with the race gun 1911's and tricked out pea shooters! I myself prefer production because it allows you to see how you stack up against "shooters" not their "hardware."
When reading the rule book it said that single stack uses a 1911 style pistol with an exposed hammer and mag capacity not to exceed 8rds. My 4506 meets these standards however the 1911 is single action and mine is single / double. That's where it get confusing.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I found this on uspsa.org. It lists your gun under Production. So unless you've modified it, you should be OK.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 10-10-2012, 03:11 PM   #5

That's what I thought when I read the rules. I didn't see my specific gun mentioned bit that helps. Thanks

Ps. 82nd AB, thank you for your service. I was in 1st Cav.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utf59
I found this on uspsa.org. It lists your gun under Production. So unless you've modified it, you should be OK.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:34 PM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Your pistol would shoot in Production division. You would be shooting for minor scoring even though you are shooting major caliber. You will be short by 2 rounds with your 8 round mag for the division limit of 10 rounds.

Single Stack is the division for 1911 stock pistols (ok, mostly stock).
Limited-10 is one division you could run in with 10rd extended magazines. You would be up against fairly custom 1911's, and some areas there is not much competition in this division.

Personally, I would just shoot in Production. If you look at the USPSA site, there is a separate list of Production approved guns. They are not listed in the regular rule book.

-Bidah

Old 10-17-2012, 08:45 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman3980 View Post
That's what I thought when I read the rules. I didn't see my specific gun mentioned bit that helps. Thanks

Ps. 82nd AB, thank you for your service. I was in 1st Cav.
Thank you for your service as well.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 10-18-2012, 03:50 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2551 Times on 1339 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Many local clubs wil allow the 4506 in Single Stack. Scored major/minor by power factor. Production is always scored minor. Check with your local club. I shoot both a 4506 and a 1006 in Single Stack.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 10-25-2012, 12:28 AM   #9

Thanks for all the info. When I make it to my next shoot I check with the R/O prior to signing up just to be sure.