Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Competition Shooting (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f48/)
-   -   Single Stack or Production (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f48/single-stack-production-74049/)

lawman3980 10-10-2012 02:26 AM

Single Stack or Production
 
About a year ago I went to my first and only pistol shoot and had a blast (no pun intended). When I signed up at the range office a buddy of mine, who is a regular competitor, told me that the S&W 4506 I was shooting qualified me for the Single Stack Division. After the shoot I joined the USPSA and after reviewing the rules I believe I should have been in the production division. Can anyone tell me what division I should be in?

GrtWhytHype 10-10-2012 05:01 AM

From my understanding(which is VERY limited) production class is "stock service pistol's." completely stock. No mods and that means NO mods.(extended slide release, upgraded guide rod, etc) whereas the single stack class is much more loose with the regulations. So you'd be running against the guys with the race gun 1911's and tricked out pea shooters! I myself prefer production because it allows you to see how you stack up against "shooters" not their "hardware."

lawman3980 10-10-2012 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrthWhytHype
From my understanding(which is VERY limited) production class is "stock service pistol's." completely stock. No mods and that means NO mods.(extended slide release, upgraded guide rod, etc) whereas the single stack class is much more loose with the regulations. So you'd be running against the guys with the race gun 1911's and tricked out pea shooters! I myself prefer production because it allows you to see how you stack up against "shooters" not their "hardware."

When reading the rule book it said that single stack uses a 1911 style pistol with an exposed hammer and mag capacity not to exceed 8rds. My 4506 meets these standards however the 1911 is single action and mine is single / double. That's where it get confusing.

utf59 10-10-2012 03:53 PM

I found this on uspsa.org. It lists your gun under Production. So unless you've modified it, you should be OK.

lawman3980 10-10-2012 04:11 PM

That's what I thought when I read the rules. I didn't see my specific gun mentioned bit that helps. Thanks

Ps. 82nd AB, thank you for your service. I was in 1st Cav.

Quote:

Originally Posted by utf59
I found this on uspsa.org. It lists your gun under Production. So unless you've modified it, you should be OK.


Bidah 10-16-2012 11:34 PM

Your pistol would shoot in Production division. You would be shooting for minor scoring even though you are shooting major caliber. You will be short by 2 rounds with your 8 round mag for the division limit of 10 rounds.

Single Stack is the division for 1911 stock pistols (ok, mostly stock).
Limited-10 is one division you could run in with 10rd extended magazines. You would be up against fairly custom 1911's, and some areas there is not much competition in this division.

Personally, I would just shoot in Production. If you look at the USPSA site, there is a separate list of Production approved guns. They are not listed in the regular rule book.

utf59 10-17-2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawman3980 (Post 971479)
That's what I thought when I read the rules. I didn't see my specific gun mentioned bit that helps. Thanks

Ps. 82nd AB, thank you for your service. I was in 1st Cav.

Thank you for your service as well.

robocop10mm 10-18-2012 04:50 PM

Many local clubs wil allow the 4506 in Single Stack. Scored major/minor by power factor. Production is always scored minor. Check with your local club. I shoot both a 4506 and a 1006 in Single Stack.

lawman3980 10-25-2012 01:28 AM

Thanks for all the info. When I make it to my next shoot I check with the R/O prior to signing up just to be sure.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:48 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.