Shot SSR at IDPA this morning. - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > Shot SSR at IDPA this morning.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2014, 01:01 AM   #21
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1974 Times on 1198 Posts
Likes Given: 2150

OK, I'm doing some tedious dry fire practice with my new wheel gun. Trying to practice reloading. I have a shot timer app. I can set it low enough to hear either the click of the cylinder closing or the da trigger snap.

What is a realistic time for a revolver reload to start with? What is a reasonable goal?

Edit: After about an hour or so of practice I'm between 3.8 and 5.0 sec just to reload and close the cylinder. Started out between 5 and 6 sec. Still manage to fumble a round every 8 to 10 attempts. Ah, the joys of learning a new skill...

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Last edited by Balota; 01-07-2014 at 04:22 AM.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:23 PM   #22

Liked 1855 Times on 1038 Posts
Likes Given: 1231

Those are not bad times. I am a wheel gunner. I shoot a lot of revolvers. I am a little handicapped in that I am left handed. I must change hands to reload and then change back again to shoot.

I was watching a video of my shooting in the Colorado State IDPA Championships. My reloads take just under 4 seconds. And I have practiced a lot.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Last edited by Rick1967; 01-11-2014 at 05:25 PM.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:04 PM   #23

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Curious as to why speed loaders/speed strips over moon clips?

Is that a stupid question?

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 01-11-2014, 06:24 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
Curious as to why speed loaders/speed strips over moon clips?

Is that a stupid question?
Not a stupid question. But then, my motto is: "The only stupid question is the one you won't ask."

My SW686 has not had the back end of the cylinder machined to take moon clips (yet). Speed loaders seems to be the preferred approach in IDPA for SSR rather than speed strips. But for ESR, which allows moon clips, I think moon clips are actually preferred. Before I go getting my new gun machined, I want to see if I even like shooting revolver in IDPA.

Winds sent me some links about this topic. I found the following one to be the most useful to me:

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

vincent Likes This 
Old 01-11-2014, 09:01 PM   #25

Speed loaders are much faster than speed strips. And moon clips are much faster than speed loaders. But you need to consider something about ESR. ESR requires a much higher power factor than SSR. SSR requires a power factor of 105. ESR requires 165. That will be really hard to make in a 38 special. You can do it in a 158 grain 357 mag. But that is not much fun in competition with a lighter gun. I shoot a 195 power factor with my 44 mag. And it is actually not to bad to shoot. But I leave burn marks on all the barricades I stand next to.

If you want to shoot a 158 grain bullet it will have to travel 1044 fps to make the 165 power factor. And that is going to have serious recoil. That second shot is going to be a lot slower.

Shooting a 255 grain bullet in say a 45 Colt, 44 special or 45 ACP it would only have to travel 647 fps to make that same power factor.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:15 AM   #26

Well I learned something yesterday at the range. Revolver reloads in dry fire for practice are a lot faster than reloads in live fire with a cover garment. Looks like it's back to the dry fire practice WITH the cover garment.

I may try the revolver in a couple weeks at the next IDPA match. Or I may wait a month or so to let me minimize my embarrassment at pathetically slow, live reloads.

Balota

Old 01-14-2014, 02:25 AM   #27

Don't worry about being embarrassed. People are going to mess with you anyway. It wont matter how fast you are. I like it when people talk trash. I always watch the times of the big mouths. I am a safety officer and time keeper. I love it when I get to say to a big mouth, "Hey that was some good shooting you did. I only beat your score by 2 seconds...with my wheel gun." That is a nice 1911 you are shooting though!

winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 01-14-2014, 02:36 AM   #28

I just got certified as a safety officer in December.

In my only sanctioned match, I was in a closely contested battle for slowest gun in the Badlands. There were only about 3 people slower than me. They were all wheel guns and within about 10 seconds of my total (over 400)! I don't worry too much about being embarrassed. But the way I was failing on my reloads at the range, I'd be worried about safety! (Picture someone scrambling on the ground for the batch of live rounds that missed the cylinder...)

My goal is to make it into the top 10 best shooters (lowest points down) a few times. If I can do that or come close with some kind of consistency, then I'll worry about speeding up. Getting there slowly. Last match I had one stage with as many points down as the other 5 stages combined. Grrr... But maybe I'm down to just one bad stage in a match, that's progress...

Balota

winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 01-14-2014, 08:20 PM   #29

IDPA is supposed to be a balance of accuracy and speed. I practice accuracy. Speed comes on its own. I see guys that are just a blur when they shoot. But then when we go score the targets there are a bunch of "Failure to Neutralize" penalties. There is definitely such a thing as too fast.

I practice for real life. In real life it would be much better to slow down a little that to shoot a bunch of innocents.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:48 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
IDPA is supposed to be a balance of accuracy and speed. I practice accuracy. Speed comes on its own. I see guys that are just a blur when they shoot. But then when we go score the targets there are a bunch of "Failure to Neutralize" penalties. There is definitely such a thing as too fast.

I practice for real life. In real life it would be much better to slow down a little that to shoot a bunch of innocents.
+1! You get to be responsible for every round. If it take 3 shots to get one hit on the bad guy, the other two also hit something or someone.

Balota

Rick1967 Likes This