Shot SSR at IDPA this morning. - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > Shot SSR at IDPA this morning.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013, 03:28 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2109 Times on 1161 Posts
Likes Given: 1386

I picked up an old police trade in a few days ago. I noticed that the stainless front sight was hard to see in the bright light. I took some florescent orange paint with a Q-tip and painted to edge of the sight. Now it practically screams at you when you look down the barrel. I went out to the dessert with it just to see how it shoots. I was shooting at paper plates at about 15 yards. I kept putting the gun at the ready position. I would quickly bring it up to eye level and fire one shot. Then drop it back down again. Only missed the plate once in 50 rounds shooting like that. It is a 64-6. It has some holster wear. But the gun seems to be in great shape. I bet it didn't get shot much. I am going to order a spring kit and some speed loaders.

I think there must be something wrong with me. Every time I get really good with a gun, I go buy another one and start from scratch.
dsc00828.jpg   dsc00832.jpg  
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:33 AM   #12

Liked 4795 Times on 2681 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Nothing wrong with a continual up date of your weapons system.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:40 AM   #13

I bought the 65-6 for $265. That might be about $10 or $15 high. But I feel like anything that has the S&W logo on it for under $300 is not a bad purchase. I had been in the market for a Smith in 38 Special for a while now. I though about a new 686. But I really didn't like the trigger on the new guns. I like the trigger better on this one. But I am still going to order a spring kit. Hey, for $14 I would like to experiment. I may even chamfer the back of the cylinder.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:42 PM   #14

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I used to shoot a lot of competitive skeet. I had a great instructor and I was doing OK. But I never really got the point of what he was trying to teach me until I started competing. Beating up on people that do not have the natural talent you have doesn't help your game. When you have 50 people that are just as gifted or better than you are is when you find your faults.

I am sure the same philosophy will apply to IDPA. Practicing at home or your local range is only going to help so much. Once you have the basics of the game in order you can't really judge your progress. Also you learn by watching shooters who are better than you.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:27 AM   #15
I used to play keyboards, but now ...
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2847 Times on 1731 Posts
Likes Given: 2847

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I used to shoot a lot of competitive skeet. I had a great instructor and I was doing OK. But I never really got the point of what he was trying to teach me until I started competing. Beating up on people that do not have the natural talent you have doesn't help your game. When you have 50 people that are just as gifted or better than you are is when you find your faults.

I am sure the same philosophy will apply to IDPA. Practicing at home or your local range is only going to help so much. Once you have the basics of the game in order you can't really judge your progress. Also you learn by watching shooters who are better than you.
Agree 100%. If you want a chance to watch VERY closely a bunch of people who are better than you, sign up for Safety Officer training. An SO at any significant match will see the entire roster for the match shoot. Closer than ringside seats. Just a thought...
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:56 PM   #16

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
You should just go Mountainman. Go to the IDPA website. It will give you info on local clubs. First time shooters are given a lot of leeway. Don't worry about the rules. Just be safe and have a good time.
I tried showing up at IDPA events as newbie on my own. That was one of the worst series of matches I have ever shot in my life. I ended up at a match that had a lot of people I shoot skeet with. I had a great time. I have been going to matches that my skeet shooting buddies attend. Whats funny is the people that treated me poorly are so nice since I have a bunch of friends at these matches. I am polite to them but I wouldn't stop for them if they had car trouble.

I really like the zombie matches. You can shoot each course of fire with the gun that will be the most fun. ZSA matches have very few rules other than general safety.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:08 PM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

At the risk of reviving an old thread, I just got a 686. I'm now trying to figure out what kind of holster and speedloader holder to get. Any suggestions?
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:15 AM   #18

I just shot my 64-6 today. This was also my first official Safety Officer function. It was a blast. The funny this is, when I got home my wife asked how I did. I had no idea. I was so busy watching the shooters in my squad, when it came to my scores I didn't even pay attention. I was the only revolver shooter. I just saw the scores. I placed 20th out of 23 people. So I beat 3 auto shooters with my revolver. Hey I can live with that! But I am shooting the 1911 next month.

I had a new shooter on my squad. New to IDPA. Not new to shooting. I was able to mentor him a little. I just told him not to shoot anybody and obey the safety rules. He did well and had a good time.

Hey Balota, I picked up a DeSantis holster for my 64-6. It will also fit your 686. I really ran well for me. It was around $50. I like it a lot. Here is a pick.
dsc00883.jpg  

Old 01-05-2014, 01:18 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
At the risk of reviving an old thread, I just got a 686. I'm now trying to figure out what kind of holster and speedloader holder to get. Any suggestions?
Do you already have speedloaders? If not I like the Safariland Comp2. I use a HKS speedloader pouch. They have them at Midway USA for around $12. They have them at Cabelas too.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:34 AM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post

Do you already have speedloaders? If not I like the Safariland Comp2. I use a HKS speedloader pouch. They have them at Midway USA for around $12. They have them at Cabelas too.
I got 4 HKS speed loaders. Figured 3 on the belt and one for an initial load. HKS pouch makes sense. I'll check Bass Pro. Got some gift cards for Christmas. They may have the DeSantis holsters too.

Thanks guys.

EDIT: Went cheap for my first try. If I decide I like shooting round holes with a round gun, I'll upgrade. Got two pairs of inexpensive holders. But I did get a Safariland holster. I like Safariland, it's what I use for everyday carry with my XDm 9mm. I didn't get the ALS system for the revolver since I don't expect to be carrying that.

Last edited by Balota; 01-06-2014 at 12:11 PM.