Shot Calling

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > Shot Calling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2008, 10:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Shot Calling

Figured my question would fit in this forum. Any one have any tips on shot calling? I watch a couple of Travis Tomasie tip videos but they're very vague. And it's extremely difficult to really find the initial lift of the front sight. I've been doing a lot of practice (I.E. have a target next to me and mark where i believe my shots hit and compare after) but I'm still having a little trouble. I know practice makes perfect but does anyone have any other tips?? please help!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-01-2008, 02:24 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Use a spotter? Ideally, you don't want to take you muzzle off target.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:56 PM   #3

Default Calling and plotting a shot string

Hi Metal,

Well, I'm new (here) and I see only one person took a stab at this. If I may. . .

Calls and plots is a self diagnostic tool a shooter uses to gauge proficiency and performance.

Your shooting eye (both ideally) should remain open during the entire shot sequence. You should remain focused on your front sight (or scope reticle, dot, etc) as the rifle/pistol/shot gun goes into recoil. This is act of making a call.

If you are at a range where someone is pulling targets for you and using a shot spotter you will soon discover that when you do things right, the spotter will be in the vicinity of where you last saw the sight just before the shot broke. This is the self diagnostic.

From there you plot your shots in some kind of log entry book. during slow fire each individual round should be recorded along with anything noteworthy that took place during the course of fire. You'll do this for awhile and patterns will emerge. Things like groups that shift down and right during offhand stages (assuming your a R/H shooter). This means your trigger control is a bit on the aggressive side and you need to either back off or dope the rifle into the ten ring for this stage of fire. (both are acceptable courses of action btw)

When things are going well then it works great, its when you call a shot at three o'clock in the ten ring and it winds up being a flyer out in the seven ring at 11 o clock that you have to worry.

I tell students that the follow through portion of marksmanship is the least important out of all the others, but it comprises 50% of a shot sequence.

Makes sense?