Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Competition Shooting (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f48/)
-   -   shooting stages (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f48/shooting-stages-67159/)

jjfuller1 06-26-2012 09:57 PM

shooting stages

this is a what i have come up with for my next event. what do you guys think? i want all the positive or negative feedback ya have.

i will have a mix of shooters. 15 or less. with training from shooting twice. to a lifetime of shooting. so i tried to make it fair for every one.

Annual firearm enthusiasts competition
July 7th

Position 1.
At a known distance of 50 yards with AR-15 from the sitting or kneeling. Engage three targets with 5 rounds. use three magazines loaded 5-5-5. two minute time limit.
Scoring: hits 1 point. Misses 0 points and time.
Target: 1 silhouette, 2 dog targets

Position 2.
at known distance of 50 yards with AR-15 from the sitting or kneeling. engage one target with ten rounds, use two magazines loaded 5-5 rounds. Sixty second time limit.
Scoring: hits 1 point. Misses 0 points and time.
Target: silhouettes or dog targets

Position 3.
at a known distance of 25 yards with AR-15 from the sitting or kneeling. Engage two targets with 20 rounds. Can use one or two magazines. If one target receives more than 10 rounds they will be counted as zero’s. three minute time limit.
Scoring: bullseye 2 points. hits 1 point. Misses 0 points.
Target: paper, shoot n see

Position 5.
at a known distance of 25 yards with AR-15/22.lr engage 10 targets with 10 rounds. Shooting position is shooter choice.
Scoring: hits 1 point. Misses 0 points
Target: clay pigoens

Position 5.
at a known distance of 25 yards with .22lr of your choice. Engage target with 10 rounds. Shooting position is shooter choice
Scoring: bullseye 2 points. hits 1 point. Misses 0 points.

Position 6.
at a known distance of 25 yards with specific .22lr with iron sights . Engage target with 5 rounds. From the bench
Scoring: bullseye 2 points. hits 1 point. Misses 0 points

Position 7.
at a known distance of 75 yards with AR-15/22.lr engage 1 targets with 5 rounds.
from prone or bench.
Scoring: bullseye 2 points. hits 1 point. Misses 0 points

danf_fl 06-27-2012 11:16 AM

IMO, I would not mix round counts on one stage (i.e. position 1), keep the round count the same, but change position (stand, kneel, prone) and mag change at each position shift.

The key to stage design is to KISS.
Keep It Simple for the beginner, with enough to "stumble" for the expert.

jjfuller1 06-27-2012 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 850891)
IMO, I would not mix round counts on one stage (i.e. position 1), keep the round count the same, but change position (stand, kneel, prone) and mag change at each position shift.

The key to stage design is to KISS.
Keep It Simple for the beginner, with enough to "stumble" for the expert.

okay, perhaps i'll reduce the 10 to 5 as well.. thanks

mountainman13 06-27-2012 01:10 PM

No sidearm play? Could practice AR to sidearm transfer also. Maybe 1 mag of 10 rnds on stage one. 5 shots to first two targets and transfer to sidearm for last. Just an idea.

jjfuller1 06-27-2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13 (Post 850930)
No sidearm play? Could practice AR to sidearm transfer also. Maybe 1 mag of 10 rnds on stage one. 5 shots to first two targets and transfer to sidearm for last. Just an idea.

yeah i took them out of the picture for this event. last year i used them.. more focused on rifles this time around. good idea though

mountainman13 06-27-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjfuller1

yeah i took them out of the picture for this event. last year i used them.. more focused on rifles this time around. good idea though

Ahh. Didn't realize it was an annual event. That's cool man. Wish I could play.

jjfuller1 06-27-2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13 (Post 850947)
Ahh. Didn't realize it was an annual event. That's cool man. Wish I could play.

i posted about it like a month or 2 ago in the new york forum and no one even whispered. lol

mountainman13 06-27-2012 02:47 PM

That's a shame. It sounds like a good event.

jjfuller1 06-27-2012 10:47 PM

Indeed. We shoot then cook. Have a fire and beer after dark. Maybe next year

mountainman13 06-28-2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjfuller1
Indeed. We shoot then cook. Have a fire and beer after dark. Maybe next year

Let me know a few months in advance. I might be able to get some guys up there. No promises though it's a long haul.