Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > Shooting a GSSF match with a G42

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2014, 03:10 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 176 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 491

Default Shooting a GSSF match with a G42

Not long ago I heard that GSSF was going to include the new G42 in their matches. I didn't know what kind of course of fire (COF) they would use but didn't think they would use the regular GSSF COF's. So I went to the Dayton, OH match over the weekend of 5/17-18/14 to try it out. I looked and looked at the registration room for any information about the G42 COF and couldn't find a thing. So I went ahead and signed up anyway for my usual divisions, and also the G42. Well, it finally dawned on me that they were going to use the regular COF's for the 42 as well. Now, that took a few minutes to sink in. I hadn't thought about that option and now I was going to shoot my 9's as usual and also the 42 at all those plates and targets out to 25 yards. Wow! That was a little overwhelming! My 42 was shooting a little to the left and I had adjusted the rear sight but, had not tested it out beyond 10 to 15 yards. Well, I'm happy to say that the little gun shot like a champ, even though I did not. I expected to have numerous misses on both the paper targets and more misses on the plates, but I didn't! I had no misses on the 5 to Glock or the Glock M and only 1 miss on the plates. I couldn't believe it! I had been impressed by the baby Glock but this put the icing on the cake! I've now tried about seven different types of ammo with zero malfunctions. I used Remington/UMC 95 grain FMJ RN for the match that I had just purchased the Friday before the match for about $90/250 rounds. I've yet to clean the 42 since I took it out of the box and, like all Glocks, it runs well dirty. I think I'll start including it in all the GSSF matches I shoot and also for IDPA BUG matches. It has passed all my tests for a carry gun, so I may start using it for CC soon. Nice little gun and feels more like a furring strip instead of a 2 x 4!

“The ultimate aim of martial arts is not having to use them”
― Miyamoto Musashi
"The only gunfight won is the one avoided."
― The Rukh
"Ignorance is treatable - stupidity is terminal."
― The Rukh

Axxe55 Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-25-2014, 09:35 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Another New IDPA Shooter

I got to introduce another young shooter to IDPA shooting this morning at Fort Harmar Rifle Club near Marietta, OH, the birthplace of Combat Pistol Shooting east of the Mississippi circa 1970 (also, the birthplace of IDPA). Five fun & instructive stages including a big, old Mercury/Lincoln that someone just had to put a bullet hole in. After all, it didn't have one! So someone thought it would look much better with a Buick-style hole in the left front fender.

― Miyamoto Musashi
― The Rukh
― The Rukh

Old 07-23-2014, 04:13 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Another GSSF Match!

Getting ready to shoot another GSSF match at the end of the month at my home club; Fort Harmar in Marietta, OH, last year's outdoor GSSF match of the year! Sent the 42 to my old friend at Bowie Tactical Concepts for a trigger job as the 42 was worse than terrible...even for a Glock! It came back a different gun, seemingly. The trigger is great! Thank you, David!! Off to the range tomorrow to see how it works and then this weekend at Ft. Harmar!

― Miyamoto Musashi
― The Rukh
― The Rukh

Old 07-29-2014, 04:05 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Ft. Harmar GSSF

Shot the GSSF match at Ft. Harmar on Saturday, July 26th and the little 42 was like a different gun after David Bowie of Bowie Tactical Concepts fixed my trigger! I had no misses, only one D hit and that was on the 25 yard target on the "5 to Glock" stage (only one C and the rest A's) and halved my total time from the Dayton GSSF match a couple of months ago. The trigger is tremendous! On the Friday before the match I had to drift the sight to the right more than I already had and it is hanging over the side of the slide by about 25/1000ths, but it is right on! Had a great time at a great club and we broke our record with over 500 entries for the two days! I will definitely shoot the 42 at all the GSSF matches now!

― Miyamoto Musashi
― The Rukh
― The Rukh