Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Competition Shooting (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f48/)
-   -   Shooting Coins (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f48/shooting-coins-2273/)

MrTouchdown 10-12-2007 04:18 PM

Shooting Coins

Is there anyone who can toss a quarter 10 feet above their head and shoot a hole through it? Would this create a hole through the quarter or just send it flying...

ScottG 10-12-2007 10:48 PM

I've never believed it is doable. Coin metal is rather hard. Maybe if you had a silver or gold coin. It seems to me you'd either dent it or blow it to pieces.

rickrem700 10-13-2007 02:24 PM

shooting coins

That is an old western trick from back in the day, it can be done, and people still do it to this day.
In the old days, the bullet would not pass through the coin, the ammo was not that powerful, but with todays ammo a .357 or larger will easly penetrate a coin, If you are talking about rifles, a 22 won't do the job, maybe a 17 hmr not sure, I think I will see for myself, and get back to you on that one, any other rifle cal should have no problems
Most people think of a quarter when shooting coins, in the old days the trick was performed with a silver dollar much, much larger, just the same I personaly have seen exebition shooters shoot a 325mg asprin out of the air with a pistol, as for me I would be happy to hit a dinner plate with a pistol!!! now with a persision rifle I shoot dimes at a hundred yards consistantly and two hundred yards with in two or three shots

longshot 10-14-2007 05:53 PM

A friend of mine shoots quarter's with a .22 cal rifle out of the air. The .22 doesn't penitrate the quarter, usually doesn't even dent it. We haven't tried it with any larger caliber rifle's do to safety concerns.

huckleberry 11-14-2007 06:19 PM

i watched a documentory on old west legends about shooting and one them was about coin shooting. they actually had a modern day commpetition shooter throwing coins the same size as a quarter and shooting them with a .22 rifle. then he went to asprin. it was remarkable. he would throw the asprin up into the air and all you would see was a small cloud of white dust. this was on the history channel the other night.

Righteous 12-30-2007 11:45 AM

I threw a Lifesaver up in the air and shot a hole thru the hole in the middle with a .22 once ;)

Coyote3 03-06-2008 12:48 AM

That isn't nothing. The other night I shot at a racoon in a tree and hit the moon. If you don't believe me, just look at the big crater I left. Haha!!!!!!

fluffo63 03-06-2008 01:58 AM

..Ole Lord...

..were back in the western-days now..LOL my friend once tossed
up a iner-tube and i shot the middle right out..LOL all jokes aside
the History Channel never lies..:eek: :eek: :eek:

Zappa 03-08-2008 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fluffo63 (Post 18251)
all jokes aside the History Channel never lies

That's right. I saw the movie "Planet of The Apes" on The History Channel, and it starred our former President Charleton "Cold Dead Hands" Heston, so it MUST be true :D

Ed21 03-08-2008 02:00 PM

While in the army, I think it was AIT (Advanced Individual Training) right after basic, we had a program called "Quick Kill." We were taken to the woods and issued daisy BB guns without front sights. These were the lever action rifles we all grew up with. The idea was to point and shoot without aiming. We had little plastic soldiers sitting on the ground and we would cock the rifle, point and shoot as fast as possible. We would then move on to throwing slugs (fake coins) of different sizes into the air and quick shoot them. Getting progressively smaller. It was not uncommon for some of us to throw a BB in the air and hit it. Maybe not every time but most of the time. The last part of the training we would put on goggles and facemasks and hunt each other in the woods. They used to have entire foot lockers full of BBs. It was pretty fun. This was in 1969 and I have not ever talked to anyone else who ever did this.