Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Competition Shooting (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f48/)
-   -   Realistic Accuracy (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f48/realistic-accuracy-2092/)

NelsonMuntz 10-02-2007 03:58 PM

Realistic Accuracy

Given that the movies over time have skewed people's view of what is capable with pistols (revolvers from westerns) as far as accuracy, speed of shooting, etc, lets say that someone was the most accurate pistol shooter in the world, what would their maximum distance be from the target be to where they could shoot the bulls eye over and over (no optics). I am just looking for an understanding of general human limitations that are visible through competition

wtr100 10-02-2007 04:12 PM

how big is the bulls eye?

I saw a trick shooter break a balloon with a 45 ACP revolver (I think) at something on the order of 200 yards

Bidah 10-02-2007 05:01 PM

I have seen Bob Munden shoot a balloon with a derringer (almost zero barrel). He broke it first shot, and that was at I believe 100 yards.

-Bidah

billt 10-02-2007 07:37 PM

Bob Munden shot the balloon from 200 yards with a .38 Special snub nose revolver. The shot was somewhat of a trick. The balloon was taped to a much larger steel plate. Hitting the plate anywhere would have broken the balloon with the lead spatter from the bullet hitting the plate. Bill T.

rickrem700 10-03-2007 04:48 AM

Realistic accuracy

Quote:

Originally Posted by billt (Post 9148)
Bob Munden shot the balloon from 200 yards with a .38 Special snub nose revolver. The shot was somewhat of a trick. The balloon was taped to a much larger steel plate. Hitting the plate anywhere would have broken the balloon with the lead spatter from the bullet hitting the plate. Bill T.

At the same time hitting a steel plate at 200 yards with a snubnose revolver is no easy task!!!

vic777 10-03-2007 08:06 AM

Glock Accuracy

I have often wondered what is good accuracy for a Glock. I think 10 shots (in less than 10 minutes) in a 4 1/2" group at 25 yards is very good (handheld 2 hands no resting or support).
There are competions for Glocks, I am refering to the GSSF competitions.
I wish they would add 1 stage where you took 10 shots from 25yds. This would provide enough data and we would learn what "the stae of the art is", we would learn what the best shooters could group 10 shots at 25 yards.
The Industry seems "afraid" to reveal these statistics.

rickrem700 10-04-2007 06:11 PM

accuracy

I am assuming you meant 10 seconds instead of 10 minutes, that Is a fair rate of fire, I never timed myself, but pretty sure I could hit that mark!! I always wanted to put a red dot on a GLOCK and see what I could do, My buddy and I were on a job out in the country the other day, He sighted in on a squirrel at 75 yards ,and droped it like a bad habit, I know it was just dumb luck but it sure looked good, Every time I make a shot like that with a pistol there is never anybody around to see it!!! GLOCK 20 x 2. Rick.

crossfire 12-24-2007 10:27 PM

handgun accuracy

Talk to the varminteers and silhouetters. Anyone that can put a head shot on a prairie dog at 150 yards or shoot a clean silhouette round with open sights is not only a pretty decent shot, he's very familiar with his weapon and ammo.

matt g 12-26-2007 03:07 AM

I can drop a 7 round magazine into a 6" steel plate at 50 yards with my Kimber. Accuracy is attainable only through practice.

cpttango30 12-26-2007 03:57 PM

I can do 8 shots at 25 yards in side of 3" with my Kimber.

Now talking varmint hunting. My longest shot was a ground squirrel at 297 yards head shot with a Ruger m77 220 Swift shooting 52gr Sierra HPBT off of a sand bag in the crook of a jeep cherockee door.

My oddest shot was a ground hog on my rifle range at 100 yards with my 223 shooting 50gr Hornady V-max. One shot strung his guts out for ten feet behind him. The picture below is after i brought him home. Wife got a little upset about that not sure why I had him double bagged in trash bags when I carried him threw the house.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l134/a/SD530003.jpg