Real rifle competition..
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > Real rifle competition..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2010, 07:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Default Real rifle competition..

Hey all,

Looking to start some kind of "Average Man's " match up here in the northwest. No scopes. No sand bags. No contraption to hold the rifle for the shooter. If the rifle has a bi-pod, fine. Shoot off the bench or ground. But the shooter has to be the the one actually holding the rifle. No scopes. No red dot sights.
Has to be open sights. Iron sights to us old farts.

Real shooters. Real rifles. 50 yd. target. 50 rounds. 100 yd target. 25 rounds.

I'm talking AK's to M4's to SKS's to Mosin Nagants to Lee Enfields. Real firearms that most of us have.
Of course semi and bolt classes would be different. Maybe a lever action class.
Other parts of the country have these match's. But not up here in Wa. State. There are some events that host 1000 yd. shots.
But lets get real. 16 inch barrel with open sights.. Not..

Whatcha think ??

Gunpowder Addict For 40 Years Now

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-04-2010, 09:40 AM   #2

Sounds like some form of Bullseye competition? I'm for any/all kinds of shooting competition.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:54 AM   #3

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Shooting off of a bi-pod is an advantage over someone holding or resting on a bench. I use a sand bag mainly because it doesn't mar my finish. I would never set my rifle on a bench to shoot. A log with soft bark or some such I will use too.

Do you mean no peep sights? Many consider peeps not "open." 2 of the oldest and best iron sight rifles I own have peeps. That is what they came with.

The reason I don't enter the competitions I know of, is I would have to abuse my rifle to compete. If there was some sort of event where competitors get one shot at several targets at unknown distances, where they wouldn't have to shoot each shot back to back; that might have a greater appeal.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:11 PM   #4

Liked 355 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesicarry View Post
But the shooter has to be the the one actually holding the rifle.
Sounds to me like you need to loose the bipod and maybe allow the use of a sling instead. Otherwise it's just a bench rest match if you are using a bipod. JMHO.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kid View Post
The reason I don't enter the competitions I know of, is I would have to abuse my rifle to compete.
Could you explain further? I don't understand the abuse. rapid fire? barrel heat? or...?
I quoted the bottom so that your statement wasn't taken out of context.
Quote:
If there was some sort of event where competitors get one shot at several targets at unknown distances, where they wouldn't have to shoot each shot back to back; that might have a greater appeal.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:40 AM   #6

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderFire View Post
Could you explain further? I don't understand the abuse. rapid fire? barrel heat? or...?
I quoted the bottom so that your statement wasn't taken out of context.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=dw0&q=overheating+barrel+erosion&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&oq=
I know many of you have a lot of money and are able to shoot a lot of rounds, buy lots of guns and the best barrels. I don't. Unless I am load developing, or trying groups or some such, I'll shoot one, maybe 2 shots a day. Even when shooting 2 shots, I'll let my barrel cool.

I'll get 10,000 shots, where someone else will get 3000 from the same rifle.

My firearms are tools, each and every one is vital to my loved ones survival. I will not abuse them to win a game; my loved ones are way more important to me than any game.

I am assuming there are others that are of the same school of thought. Just a suggestion for one of the events.

Additionally; a true test would be one shot at an unknown distance. This way doping of wind and distance play a part. Taking 50 shots you only need to know where the first shot hit, then adjust. In a true life situation, if you miss, your deer ran away or the sniper shot you; there is no second chance.

A true marksman needs to hit the target the first shot in any and all conditions.

Last edited by The_Kid; 02-05-2010 at 09:45 AM. Reason: forgot html doesn't work

Old 02-06-2010, 01:48 PM   #7

Quote:
overheating barrel erosion

I know many of you have a lot of money and are able to shoot a lot of rounds, buy lots of guns and the best barrels. I don't. Unless I am load developing, or trying groups or some such, I'll shoot one, maybe 2 shots a day. Even when shooting 2 shots, I'll let my barrel cool.

My firearms are tools, each and every one is vital to my loved ones survival. I will not abuse them to win a game; my loved ones are way more important to me than any game.

I am assuming there are others that are of the same school of thought. Just a suggestion for one of the events.

Additionally; a true test would be one shot at an unknown distance. This way doping of wind and distance play a part. Taking 50 shots you only need to know where the first shot hit, then adjust. In a true life situation, if you miss, your deer ran away or the sniper shot you; there is no second chance.

A true marksman needs to hit the target the first shot in any and all conditions. Observe.
No need to google it. I thought that's what you were getting at. That's why I listed a couple of adverse affects after my question to you. Rapid Fire accelerates throat erosion. Barrel Heat causes it's problems plus diminishes accuracy. I was wondering if you knew of other elements that I wasn't aware of.

I've debated this issue on other forums...
Some say if you use ammo that travels 1300fps or slower you won't get erosion. I say the only way to stop erosion & other adverse affects is that the barrel has to be made stronger & built with better materials. I believe that is why MFG's started making reinforced barrels for their rifles and started using better quality materials.

Quote:
Your stats are debatable. I believe with the proper care & precautions a competition rifle will last longer than 3000 rounds. But that is a whole different matter in itself.

Last edited by UnderFire; 02-06-2010 at 02:54 PM.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:00 AM   #8

Real rifle shooting is 85 grains of Swiss 1 1/2 black power behind a 550 grain home cast lead bullet travelling at 1,300 fps out of a 12 pound single shot rifle with a 34" barrel at a target that is 1000 yards away. I believe that there are a few clubs up in your area. Check them out - you might become interested.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:42 AM   #9

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Yesicarry your type of "competition" doesnt sound like much competiton. And Grayowl your type of competition sounds like to much competition.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:47 AM   #10

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

where at in the northwest would this be held? I would be all for it.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.