Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > Protecting a match grade stainless barrel?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2009, 05:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Protecting a match grade stainless barrel?

Lots of opinions in previous threads regarding general practices for cleaning and maintenance, but I'd appreciate opinions on premium tools and supplies and the methods to use them. I'm a newbie to competition and don't want to screw up my brand new barrel before I even get started or affect my ability to score. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-31-2009, 09:59 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8406 Times on 3642 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

this says it quite well. Note the term PUSH with patches, not push/pull.

Barrel Cleaning and Break-In - L. Bengtson Arms Co.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 11-01-2009, 02:45 AM   #3

Very good article. Thanks. Can I use a copper brush on a S/S barrel, or should I use a nylon or other synthetic brush?

Old 11-01-2009, 07:05 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

I know of no reason NOT to use a bronze brush on a s/s bbl. Steel of the barrel is several times harder than the bronze brush. Fouling starts to accumulate in the corners of the grooves- it takes a brush to get it out. A lot of folks are fans of the boresnake, but that is not going to fully cover the depth/ width of the grooves.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:33 AM   #5

Liked 200 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 162

c3shooter speaks the truth.

A couple of things I would reiterate from that article is:

Use a coated one piece cleaning rod. Do NOT use a sectional or "jointed" rod! I prefer the Dewey brand cleaning rods myself...

Also use a bore guide, and clean from the chamber end of the barrel. (If at all possible.)

Never dip your bore brushes in your bottle of bore solvent. Use a squirt bottle or similar to apply the solvent to your brushes and patches. That prevents contaminating your solvent supply...

I also clean my brushes after use, to remove any abrasive particles / fouling and to flush the solvent from the bristles & core. The ammonia in your bore cleaner will continue to eat away the copper contained in your cleaning brush - just as it attacks the copper fouling in your barrel.

A quick spray with some carb / brake cleaner or "bore scrubber" will do the job and make your brushes last longer, as well as prevent re-introduction of old fouling back into your barrel at your next cleaning.

JMHO.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:38 PM   #6

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

My match grade SS barrel never sees a brush. most of the bench rest guys don't ever use brushes. Many use GM top end engine cleaner for the carbon fouling.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:53 PM   #7

Liked 200 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 162

I started out that way too - until I bore scoped my new Krieger after the first several trips to the range. I only shoot moly coated Sierra's in that one, and only cleaned with patches in the beginning. The barrel looked squeaky clean to the naked eye. But the scope showed me that I was getting a moly buildup in the corners, so I do run a brush through it now and then to clear out the black "fillets".

Besides -- benchrest shooters are a strange bunch....

Old 11-02-2009, 02:42 AM   #8

Thanks. I read a good routine on the Shilen website FAQ's. I figure they must know what they're doing. If I read it right it sounds something like this:

Assuming 20 rounds fired through the barrel, run a bronze brush with powder solvent 20 "cycles" (one back and forth in the barrel per round fired). Then remove the brush reapply the solvent and 20 more cycles. Then one dry patch through the barrel and out the muzzle. Then another patch back and forth and out the muzzle (3 strokes) Do that again. Lastly push a lightly oiled patch through and out the muzzle. That's it. Sound right?

Old 11-02-2009, 04:11 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Not bad. As Highpower said- right rod, with bore guide, don't dip brush into solvent, etc. Also WIPE the rod with a clean patch after you take it out of the bore- keeps crud on rod from being used as an abrasive.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:02 AM   #10

Jag or slotted patch loop? Brass or nylon?