Pistol Competition Equipment and Training - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting >

Pistol Competition Equipment and Training

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2010, 01:38 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm definitely gonna get started in it, hopefully around the beginning of next year or so. I was looking on the CZ Custom website and they have the Blade Tech Holsters and Mag Pouches, so Ill probably see about getting those for Christmas. I do have a couple questions though, do you guys prefer the regular holster or the DOH? As I've never used a holster much I don't see where one would have advantages over the other. Also, I see they have Tek-Lock, Loop, etc. I assume that loop is just regular belt loops, and from what I can tell, Tek-Lock is just a quick detachable system to allow you to take the holster on and off quickly, only leaving that small clip on the belt. Is this correct?

Zhuk, that's a big bummer about all the restrictions placed on you guys over there. I can't imagine how frustrating that must be. I can totally see what you mean about multiple mags, I can see myself missing a lot at first as I'm not that great at pistol shooting yet.

One question I have for everybody though, is whats the best way to get rid of a flinch while shooting? When I take my time at the range, I can slowly apply more and more pressure to the trigger and almost surprise myself with it, therefore eliminating the flinch, but once I start doing competitions this of course won't be an option. Other than just shooting and dry-firing, is there anything anyone recommends to help with the flinch?

-Fred

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 09-23-2010, 04:12 AM   #12

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
Thanks for all the info guys. I'm definitely gonna get started in it, hopefully around the beginning of next year or so. I was looking on the CZ Custom website and they have the Blade Tech Holsters and Mag Pouches, so Ill probably see about getting those for Christmas. I do have a couple questions though, do you guys prefer the regular holster or the DOH? As I've never used a holster much I don't see where one would have advantages over the other. Also, I see they have Tek-Lock, Loop, etc. I assume that loop is just regular belt loops, and from what I can tell, Tek-Lock is just a quick detachable system to allow you to take the holster on and off quickly, only leaving that small clip on the belt. Is this correct?

Zhuk, that's a big bummer about all the restrictions placed on you guys over there. I can't imagine how frustrating that must be. I can totally see what you mean about multiple mags, I can see myself missing a lot at first as I'm not that great at pistol shooting yet.

One question I have for everybody though, is whats the best way to get rid of a flinch while shooting? When I take my time at the range, I can slowly apply more and more pressure to the trigger and almost surprise myself with it, therefore eliminating the flinch, but once I start doing competitions this of course won't be an option. Other than just shooting and dry-firing, is there anything anyone recommends to help with the flinch?

-Fred

Fred,

Think you'll like competition shooting - both exciting and slightly nervewracking at the same time. I have an abnormally large amount of endogenous adrenalin which probably doesn't help lol...but its a lot of fun nonetheless.

My holster can be adjusted to drop down from its default position, also allows for adjustment re particular belt-width. Says Tek-lock on the back; pinch in the sides and unhinge to lift it right off:

Paddle holsters are available, however no one I know uses them - would think its gotta be more firmly anchored on a belt. Strongly advise you get a 'double' velcro belt: ie inner one threads thru pants loops, outer rigid one attaches to it onto which you thread the holster/mag pouches.

Far more immovable than a normal belt which you'll see helps immensely - as you draw and NOTHING MOVES. The outer belt I have is leather therefore extra rigid. This is a good thing.

As for mag pouches...I got Uncle Mikes double stacks. Might be a bit cheaper than Bladetech (if local prices are anything to go by)

On flinching: surprisingly, I haven't got that particular problem far as I know (my speciality appears to be jerking or slapping the trigger - evidence of my woeful trigger control). Have heared that putting a few snap caps alternating in your mags might help - may be recoil/noise that causes the flinch so having a 'surprise' dummy round ought to help you see if you're anticipating & therefore flinching when the trigger is pulled.

However in competition you're having to concentrate on a million things at once so maybe there won't be time to anticipate anything. Or, maybe that's just me. ha

Great forum for competitive resources here, if you're interested in reading up on some stuff prior Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If you're fortunate enough to get practice (hey wish we could) you should be able to get it sorted. The only time I can shoot is in competition...and with adrenal-overload...well, its never pretty lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 09-23-2010, 02:54 PM   #13

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Fred,

I see you're in central Florida. I don't know too many places outside of northeast Florida, but I do know there's a lot of competition in the Melbourne area. So if you're toward the eastern side of the state, that might be at least somewhat convenient for you.

As far as flinching, the snap cap idea works well to let you know that you're doing it. I would add that you should let someone else load the mags so it'll be a surprise when one shows up. It also lets you practice your tap-rack-shoot drill.

I saw an interesting drill on the Outdoor Channel last week that was designed to help shooters stop blinking, which then lets them focus on the front sight throughout recoil. You put up a blank silhouette (or a big blank piece of paper, etc.) nothing on the whole sheet to aim at. Then fire off 10 rounds, steadily, but quickly. After two or three rounds, your eyes stop blinking, and you can focus on the front sight throughout the rest of the string. I tried it myself, and it does work. If it helps with blinking, maybe it would also help with flinching.

If you ever start looking for places to compete in the top right part of the state, give me a shout.

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
William S. Burroughs

Old 09-23-2010, 05:25 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I had a flinching problem when I first started too. You have got to fix that so that you can watch the sights through the entire recoil cycle. It's the most important thing you can do to do well in action shooting. If you aren't seeing the sights you are gonna have a lot lower scores and less fun.

I started wearing foam plugs and a good set of electronic muffs at the same time. It dulls the sound a bunch. Another good drill I just learned in Phil Straders competition pistol class. Load up a full 15-20 round mag or whatever you have. Go over to within 2-3 yards of the berm and fire off the entire mag. You might have to go real fast or kinda fast. Your flinch mechanism will dictate the speed that it can handle. After a few shots the recoil jerk and loud noise will become normal and you will be able to keep both eyes open and in the sights. Watch the front sight move up and out of the rear sight and back into the rear sight. By the end if the mag it will look like a slow motion movie which is how it should look in a match.

The flinch will also go away more with time as you shoot more and more.

If you enjoy your first match and plan to shoot every month or more I would highly recommend getting a good competition training class. For $300-600 and 1000-1500 rounds you can learn so much and it will make all of your shooting so much more enjoyable.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:44 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Zhuk, that's actually the same holster I was looking at getting, only RH, Ill definitely give those mag holders and the double belt a look as well.

JT and UTF, Ill give both of those a try and see if it helps. I think I do blink like that which I need to work on also, but that's not the problem I was talking about. I probably used the wrong word for it. I guess recoil anticipation is a better term. When I fire somewhat quick at all, my shots are all over the place, but mostly low. And in some cases very low, like off the paper at 7 yards low. Any suggestions for this?

Thanks for all the help so far everyone.

-Fred

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 09-24-2010, 10:41 AM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That will definitely go away with more shooting. Make sure you grip the gun as tight as you can with both hands and lock out your wrists so the pistol moves as little as possible. Once you start concentrating hard on what the sights are doing while at the same time running around a stage recoil will be negligible to all the other sensory inputs.

Make sure you are prepping the trigger before you break the shot too. By prep I mean pull it back until it hits the wall prior to it firing. You should try to do this everytime especially on the 10+ yard stuff.

Last edited by jtischauser; 09-24-2010 at 11:44 AM.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:00 PM   #17

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Fred,

I knew what you meant. That was just the best thing I could think of to help. And the one I saw was demonstrated by the same guy jtischauser mentioned. I just saw him demonstrate it indoors, so he was using a blank silhouette target instead of a berm.

Now that you're on to the fact that you're anticipating, you'll start noticing it more while you're at the range. You'll catch yourself as soon as you do it, and sometimes just before. Then you'll be able to focus on it a little and concentrate on pressing the trigger straight back. It just takes practice.

Have fun!

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
William S. Burroughs

Old 09-27-2010, 03:47 AM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks guys. I figured practice was the answer. I was just hoping there was something else I could do to speed it up.

Darn! I guess that means Ill just have to spend more time at the range.

-Fred

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 09-27-2010, 08:47 AM   #19

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
Zhuk, that's actually the same holster I was looking at getting, only RH, Ill definitely give those mag holders and the double belt a look as well.

JT and UTF, Ill give both of those a try and see if it helps. I think I do blink like that which I need to work on also, but that's not the problem I was talking about. I probably used the wrong word for it. I guess recoil anticipation is a better term. When I fire somewhat quick at all, my shots are all over the place, but mostly low. And in some cases very low, like off the paper at 7 yards low. Any suggestions for this?

Thanks for all the help so far everyone.

-Fred

I'm going to try out the rapid fire idea when I get my gun and go to an indoor range for the 50-round break-in (since no chance of 'practice' at my range). My shots are often low to the right. Mainly at more than 20m, but if I'm doing fast shots - particularly strong hand only - it happens at 7m also.

If you are getting low left hits its most likely jerking/slapping instead of a nice, even steady pull straight back. I know I can feel how bad my trigger control is lol...can see much dry firing in my future...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtischauser View Post
That will definitely go away with more shooting. Make sure you grip the gun as tight as you can with both hands and lock out your wrists so the pistol moves as little as possible. Once you start concentrating hard on what the sights are doing while at the same time running around a stage recoil will be negligible to all the other sensory inputs.
+1

Yeah with all that is going on at once, noticing recoil will be the last thing on your mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D