Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > Pistol Competition Equipment and Training

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2010, 02:17 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Pistol Competition Equipment and Training

I have been getting the bug the past few months to try out some pistol competitions, so about a month ago I went and bought a CZ SP-01 for this purpose. I love the pistol and think it should work out great for what I need, but I have a few questions. I've got 550 rounds through it so far, and wouldn't change or polish any parts till I hit at least 1000 rounds, but my question is this. I noticed that some competition organizations had different divisions classified by the pistol used, whether it was productions, open, limited, etc. I would assume that the higher classification you get into, the shooters get better as well. So if this is true, would I be better to leave the pistol as is and compete in the production division?

Also, for those of you who have competed, what type of holster do you prefer? I know everyone's preferences will be different, but I would just like to get a better idea of some that people like.

Other than just regular range shooting, which I try to do at least once a week, what else can I start doing to up my game? One thing I've been doing is practicing my mag changes, but that's it. Should I be practicing shooting while moving, shooting around objects, that sort of thing? Also, what are some other things I can start working on?

Once again, thanks in advance for any and all info.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-21-2010, 02:44 AM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
I have been getting the bug the past few months to try out some pistol competitions, so about a month ago I went and bought a CZ SP-01 for this purpose. I love the pistol and think it should work out great for what I need, but I have a few questions. I've got 550 rounds through it so far, and wouldn't change or polish any parts till I hit at least 1000 rounds, but my question is this. I noticed that some competition organizations had different divisions classified by the pistol used, whether it was productions, open, limited, etc. I would assume that the higher classification you get into, the shooters get better as well. So if this is true, would I be better to leave the pistol as is and compete in the production division?

Also, for those of you who have competed, what type of holster do you prefer? I know everyone's preferences will be different, but I would just like to get a better idea of some that people like.

Other than just regular range shooting, which I try to do at least once a week, what else can I start doing to up my game? One thing I've been doing is practicing my mag changes, but that's it. Should I be practicing shooting while moving, shooting around objects, that sort of thing? Also, what are some other things I can start working on?

Once again, thanks in advance for any and all info.

-Fred
IDPA has different classes of pistol, then each shooter qualifies at a level within their class. There is no real correlation to qualifying level and type of gun used, except that some gun are better suited for competitive shooting out of the box.

IDPA shooting involves shooting from stance, while moving, from cover and one-handed weak and strong side shooting, so yes practice all of it to get your times down.

International Defensive Pistol Association - Classifier Course of Fire Information

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 09-21-2010, 03:07 AM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

In USPSA there will be great shooters in all divisions.
Its all in what you want to shoot, some of the best shooters shoot production, but a lot of new guys shoot there as well because its the gun they already own, ammo is cheap, and it is very competitive(as are all the other divisions).
You will earn a classification based on your shooting of some standardized classifier stages in your first few matches.
While you will be ultimately competing against all the shooters for the high overall score in your division, you will also be competing against shooters in the same class as yourself.
For example you are a "C" class shooter in production division, and you get beat in the production overall by a Grand Master, 2 Masters, 5 "A's" and 6 "B's".
That would put you in 15th overall, but you win your class as the High C shooter, and try not to smile too hard the first time you best an "A" shooter because it feels great!
There are also other sub-catagories such as Lady, Senior, & Super Senior.
Confused yet?

I was too a few months ago, don't be concerned. Just go shoot, be safe, have a great time and then see where you place. Pay attention to the guys that are beating you and by how much and use that as a way to track your improvement from match to match. And YOU WILL IMPROVE!

Your CZ is a great gun for production! That's probably where it'll be most at home. I am thinking hard about buying one myself. Production does allow you to do some internal improvements (such as trigger jobs) just make sure you leave all the safeties intact such as the firing pin block. It also limits you to 10 rounds per magazine, so practice those reloads!

You also could load your mags all the way up and shoot in Limited Division if you choose, but you will be shooting against a lot of guys shooting Major power factor in custom built pistols, so your 9mm will be at a slight scoring disadvantage.
If you've been thinking about trying it, just do it! I wish I'd had started a long time ago

United States Practical Shooting Association

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Last edited by Gatekeeper; 09-21-2010 at 03:10 AM.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:58 AM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
In USPSA there will be great shooters in all divisions.
Its all in what you want to shoot, some of the best shooters shoot production, but a lot of new guys shoot there as well because its the gun they already own, ammo is cheap, and it is very competitive(as are all the other divisions).
You will earn a classification based on your shooting of some standardized classifier stages in your first few matches.
While you will be ultimately competing against all the shooters for the high overall score in your division, you will also be competing against shooters in the same class as yourself.
For example you are a "C" class shooter in production division, and you get beat in the production overall by a Grand Master, 2 Masters, 5 "A's" and 6 "B's".
That would put you in 15th overall, but you win your class as the High C shooter, and try not to smile too hard the first time you best an "A" shooter because it feels great!
There are also other sub-catagories such as Lady, Senior, & Super Senior.
Confused yet?

I was too a few months ago, don't be concerned. Just go shoot, be safe, have a great time and then see where you place. Pay attention to the guys that are beating you and by how much and use that as a way to track your improvement from match to match. And YOU WILL IMPROVE!

Your CZ is a great gun for production! That's probably where it'll be most at home. I am thinking hard about buying one myself. Production does allow you to do some internal improvements (such as trigger jobs) just make sure you leave all the safeties intact such as the firing pin block. It also limits you to 10 rounds per magazine, so practice those reloads!

You also could load your mags all the way up and shoot in Limited Division if you choose, but you will be shooting against a lot of guys shooting Major power factor in custom built pistols, so your 9mm will be at a slight scoring disadvantage.
If you've been thinking about trying it, just do it! I wish I'd had started a long time ago

Yeah, just because Production division contains the least 'tricked out' guns does not mean that highly experienced and skilled shooters do not compete in it. In Aust there is such a miniscule pool of available pistol shooters anyway that the majority shoot Production.

IPSC however, does not allow hardly anything in the way of modifications - pretty much restricted to changing your open sights (ie iron to F/O or visa versa) and grip taping. Certainly not trigger jobs with the 5lb minimum rule, alas. We are also limited to 10 rnd mags for all civillian use, no matter the division...so I suggest obtaining 5-6 mags. Not suggesting you would get as many misses as I do lol but it helps on more complex stages and you have that comfort of knowing if you do crash n burn there's some in reserve.

+1 on the CZ. I would have strongly considered a Shadow, were it not for the necessity for polymer due to my dodgy wrist.

As for holsters - coincidently, I received mine in the post yesterday. Bladetech LH...can't believe it cost $120

That's aussie pricing for you lol

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 09-22-2010, 04:29 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You gotta get out and try some USPSA or IDPA ASAP. It will change your life. You will wonder why you shot standing still for so long.

My Videos

Accurate Iron Custom STI Edge 5 | Accurate Iron Benelli M2 Shotgun | Stag Arms Model 3G | Accurate Iron Glock 34 | Accurate Iron Glock 35 | DPMS Panther LR 308

Old 09-22-2010, 08:23 PM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtischauser View Post
You gotta get out and try some USPSA or IDPA ASAP. It will change your life. You will wonder why you shot standing still for so long.

Hell yeah. There are few things more fun than shooting & moving...

Makes a nice contrast with the purely static nature of rifle competition. I wish I'd been shooting back in the days when IPSC rifle was legal...that would have been the pinnacle of awesome

Quote:
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 09-22-2010, 08:29 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuk View Post
Hell yeah. There are few things more fun than shooting & moving...

Makes a nice contrast with the purely static nature of rifle competition. I wish I'd been shooting back in the days when IPSC rifle was legal...that would have been the pinnacle of awesome
Back in the day. You mean today...

We shoot them all the time. Next year we are going to have a "major" match hopefully.

My Videos

Accurate Iron Custom STI Edge 5 | Accurate Iron Benelli M2 Shotgun | Stag Arms Model 3G | Accurate Iron Glock 34 | Accurate Iron Glock 35 | DPMS Panther LR 308

Old 09-22-2010, 10:51 PM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Back in the day. You mean today...

OKC Gun Club rifle match

We shoot them all the time. Next year we are going to have a "major" match hopefully.

Not in my country Don't think bolt actions would cut it really, lol

Nice bit of envy-provoking video there, thanks.

Quote:

Old 09-22-2010, 11:26 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Oh man thats a bummer! I didn't realize where u were at or I wouldn't have teased you with that video. It makes sense now that you said IPSC instead of USPSA.

My Videos

Last edited by jtischauser; 09-23-2010 at 12:32 AM.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:51 PM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Oh man thats a bummer! I didn't realize where u were at or I wouldn't have teased you with that video. It makes sense now that you said ziOSX instead of USPSA.

Hey no worries, I don't hold it against ya Was a very cool vid with the gun-cam-view, I enjoyed it.

Actually I'm lucky in one way - was talking to our club's pistol RO the other week, and he mentioned the very nice semi-auto rifles he had all tricked-up and modified just how he wanted them. And then to think they went into a furnace/crusher for NO REASON

Think that would be worse than my position of never having any to begin with.

Quote: