Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > Pin shoots again

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2011, 06:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Default Pin shoots again

It's been nearly a year since our local group had a bowling pin shoot. With the 3rd ID deployed we just didn't have enough folks to shoot. Got an email on Sunday that we're going to hold one on Jan 17th. Really looking forward to getting back into these again - need practice though...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-04-2011, 06:13 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

That sounds good Dave. I'm glad you have the chance to get back to doing something that you enjoy. Post some pics for us at some point.

I'd like to try it myself one of these days.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-05-2011, 01:36 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2666 Times on 1552 Posts
Likes Given: 1184

You lucky dog. It's been awhile since I've shot pins. Too bad I'm working on other people's weekends.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-05-2011, 06:35 PM   #4

Real rush and powder burning fun. Do not have to run thus very good for retired cowboys.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:42 PM   #5

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hey NGIB,

What do you use for a pin shoot? I like my Smith 625 myself.

Scubie

Old 01-06-2011, 07:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzscubie View Post
Hey NGIB,

What do you use for a pin shoot? I like my Smith 625 myself.

Scubie
Two of our old regulars used 625s - never won but always competitive. My usual is a 1911 with 230gr ball as it works well for me. Sometime that evening I'm going to shoot a pin with the .460 - just to see what it'll do. I'll probably use this one at the next match as I've been shooting it very well...

Old 01-19-2011, 10:53 PM   #7

Well we had 10 folks show up tonight - mostly our regulars. It was fun to get back to killing pins; however, the rust was pretty thick for me. Cleared a few tables but never really got in a groove so I went out pretty early. My buddy and fellow FTF'r Silentghost was shooting well and was still in the hunt when I left to feed the dog.

Practice before the next one is really necessary. Shot both the long slide and the ported gun about equally well...

Old 01-19-2011, 10:59 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Thanks Dave.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-19-2011, 11:13 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

This sounds like a lot of fun but how do you keep score? Anyone use anything besides a 45?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 01-19-2011, 11:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
This sounds like a lot of fun but how do you keep score? Anyone use anything besides a 45?
Some matches you shoot for time and low score wins. In this type, you shoot one at a time. Down here, we shoot head to head against someone and the first to clear the table (pins have to hit the floor) wins and a match is best 2 of 3 tables.

Tonight we had a wide range of guns used: about half of us shot 1911s, one shot a Sig 229 in .357, a couple of Glocks (a .45 and a 9mm), and one fella shot a .38 Special S&W revolver. Generally, .45s tend to dominate as a big slow bullet usually moves the pins better. Folks shooting 9mm generally have a tough time actually knocking the pins off the table - they'll tip it over but it stays on the table. A lot on 9mm shooters use JHP for extra punch.

It's seriously fun and if you get a chance - do it...