Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > newbie question on long distance shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 02:01 AM   #11
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2195 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

6 years total US Army and served as an LE SWAT Sniper and Instructor for over 16.5 years. LE SWAT Sniper Team Commander for 4 yrs. while I was also Range Master and Assistant Training Director for a Metro PD. While on the LE SWAT Team was when I acquired the 40X Custom Sniper Rifle while I was on the gun on SWAT and at the Remington Armorer School in Ilion NY. My grandfather is responsible for my addicted to the long gun since 5 yoa. I now am a grandfather myself (not prehistoric ) and all of my children 4 ea. and 5 of the 7 grandchildren have their own weapons and shoot on occasion. The boys all got a new Ruger 10-22 three years ago. The girls have some revolvers and psitols. I tried my best to pass on the addiction!!!! So far I have been successful!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 02-16-2012, 04:47 PM   #12

congrats on the grandchildren, and as for your resume, that's quite the years of service I'm quite honoured to ask you questions, thanks for the input into my questions

Old 02-16-2012, 09:17 PM   #13
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2195 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

werger,

My friend that is what most of us are here on the FTF. Is to not only share but also to learn ourselves. The day I stop learning, I need to hang it up! It was my pleasure to share with you. Looking forward to hearing from you in the future. Good Luck with your rifle selection in the future.
Maybe what we need to do is start a Sniper Rifle Picture Thread of the rifles owned by our members. I am sure there are some fantastic rifles to enjoy!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 02-16-2012 at 09:19 PM.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:08 PM   #14

werger,
Looks like some good suggestions to your interest in long range shooting. Another site that deals with this subject is Longrangeshooting.com Even if not interested in the hunting aspect, there's a wealth of information regarding the subject, rifles, calibers, reloading, optics and this site has numorious highly qualified gunsmiths that deal with long range shooting.

I might also sugest searching for books, magazines, etc. that are deciated to this challeging but extremely fun sport.

I got hooked some 25 years ago and am still learning ways to become a more accomplished long range shooter.

Good luck,

Old 03-22-2012, 10:44 PM   #15

Default B.S.A Majestic as action build

Quote:
Originally Posted by werger_9 View Post
Hey guys/girls

New to the forms was interested into getting into long range rife shooting, I live in Canada and have a non-restricted license, and am wondering what would be a good rife to get into shooting/ learning how to shoot a mile+, i have been shooting for a few years now and have always loved the long shot. Any ideas/comments on a first rife that I should be looking into to get to my goal of shooting at a mile? have a limited "student" budget. Any hints on getting me to where i want be?
thanks for the input

** shoot safe, long and accurate**
Hi I am in a similar position but have been a target shooter for a good while and have just got hold of a B.S.a majestic action and wondered since it was made when quality was a watch word if it would make an f-class rifle