Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > new gun for IDPA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2010, 10:32 PM   #1
jbd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default new gun for IDPA

what do u guys think of the beretta 92fs for idpa. thanks for any info.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-30-2010, 12:51 AM   #2

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Fits in the box. Likely the most important factor.

Hogue grips make it comfy. 5" barrel and long sight radius is good. reliable, accurate, all + for the gun.

Carries like a brick.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 01-30-2010, 01:16 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The Beretta will do fine in IDPA.......... if you can master the transition from the long double action pull on the first shot to the shorter pull on the second shot. It's no fault of the gun, it's an issue all shooters of DA/SA guns have to face in IDPA. That is one of the reasons why striker fired guns and 1911's are the most common guns in IDPA.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Rock View Post
if you can master the transition from the long double action pull on the first shot to the shorter pull on the second shot. It's no fault of the gun, it's an issue all shooters of DA/SA guns have to face in IDPA. That is one of the reasons why striker fired guns and 1911's are the most common guns in IDPA.
SSP if he uses it double action fist shot.
ESP if he cocks and locks for first shot.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Old 01-30-2010, 12:20 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
SSP if he uses it double action fist shot.
ESP if he cocks and locks for first shot.
The Beretta must start with the hammer down in any class. Only guns with a safety that can be engaged with the hammer back (i.e., 1911's, USP's, BHP's, and such) can start "cocked and locked" ("locked" being the important word there). You may cock the hammer back with your thumb after you draw (I don't think any Safety Officer would have an issue with that, I wouldn't).

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:12 PM   #6

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
The Beretta will do fine in IDPA.......... if you can master the transition from the long double action pull on the first shot to the shorter pull on the second shot. It's no fault of the gun, it's an issue all shooters of DA/SA guns have to face in IDPA. That is one of the reasons why striker fired guns and 1911's are the most common guns in IDPA.
Indeed.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 01-30-2010, 07:24 PM   #7

Quote:
The Beretta must start with the hammer down in any class. Only guns with a safety that can be engaged with the hammer back (i.e., 1911's, USP's, BHP's, and such) can start "cocked and locked" ("locked" being the important word there). You may cock the hammer back with your thumb after you draw (I don't think any Safety Officer would have an issue with that, I wouldn't).
Um, how many berettas have you seen that dont have either a frame or slide mounted safety?

Theyve had safeties since the 92S

Last edited by willfully armed; 01-30-2010 at 07:26 PM.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:53 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
Um, how many berettas have you seen that dont have either a frame or slide mounted safety?

Theyve had safeties since the 92S
Show me a 92 that lets you carry cocked and locked. Any 92, made any year. Show me that 92. The 92 has a safety on the slide that drops the hammer when engaged. Please, for my education and information, post a picture of the Beretta 92 with the frame mounted safety that lets you carry it cocked and locked.
I know the Taurus version has a frame safety that will let you carry cocked and locked, but as you said, we are talking Beretta 92 here. So show me this 92. I really want to see it.