My retirement gift to myself - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > My retirement gift to myself

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2012, 07:14 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What makes it a bench rest rifle? Or is that a model?

Old 05-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Congratulations on the retirement! (lucky bas… s fishermen) Excellent gift selection for yourself … who knows better?

“Life’s tough … it’s even tougher if you’re stupid.”
John Wayne

Old 05-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 33 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedennis View Post
What makes it a bench rest rifle? Or is that a model?
This particular gun is considered an F-Class benchrest rifle. Not all model 12's are but this one was purpose built for long distance benchrest shooting.

An artical I came across concerning this rifle: http://www.chuckhawks.com/savage_M12-Fclass.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjgnwdc View Post
Congratulations on the retirement! (lucky bas… s fishermen) Excellent gift selection for yourself … who knows better?
Thanks on both parts.. Once I saw this on the rack I knew it had to come home with me.. Just had to convince the wife

NRA Life Member, Georgia Gun Owners
www.RCGunworksllc.com

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Politicians ignore the others"

Last edited by TheOldMan; 05-11-2012 at 04:45 PM.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:39 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan

This particular gun is considered an F-Class benchrest rifle. Not all model 12's are but this one was purpose built for long distance benchrest shooting.
Thanks for clearing that up. That was a great article about it as well.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan View Post

An artical I came across concerning this rifle: http://www.chuckhawks.com/savage_M12-Fclass.htm

Thanks on both parts.. Once I saw this on the rack I knew it had to come home with me.. Just had to convince the wife
I know what you're sayin on both accounts

“Life’s tough … it’s even tougher if you’re stupid.”
John Wayne

Old 07-17-2012, 02:20 PM   #16

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

That rifle looks familiar! This is my Savage Model 12-F/TR I picked up a couple of years ago. It's one of my most accurate pieces. I topped it with a Bushnell 3200 Elite Tactical, 5-15X 40 MM in Burris Signature Zee Rings. I almost have to try to make this gun shoot bad. Accuracy is superb with just about any handload I shoot in it. The 30" Stainless Steel barrel squeezes every ounce of velocity out of the .308 round. For an accurate rifle off the bench, this one is hard to beat.

I didn't install the cheek piece on the stock because you cannot remove the bolt with it in place. I didn't want to keep removing and installing the short wood screws they give you with it every time I clean the barrel. I wish they would have provided threaded steel inserts in the stock. Other than that, I can't find fault with it. Enjoy your retirement! I'll be joining you in just a couple years!

Old 07-19-2012, 12:59 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Nice gift indeed

Old 07-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
That rifle looks familiar! This is my Savage Model 12-F/TR I picked up a couple of years ago. It's one of my most accurate pieces. I topped it with a Bushnell 3200 Elite Tactical, 5-15X 40 MM in Burris Signature Zee Rings. I almost have to try to make this gun shoot bad. Accuracy is superb with just about any handload I shoot in it. The 30" Stainless Steel barrel squeezes every ounce of velocity out of the .308 round. For an accurate rifle off the bench, this one is hard to beat.

I didn't install the cheek piece on the stock because you cannot remove the bolt with it in place. I didn't want to keep removing and installing the short wood screws they give you with it every time I clean the barrel. I wish they would have provided threaded steel inserts in the stock. Other than that, I can't find fault with it. Enjoy your retirement! I'll be joining you in just a couple years!
A while back, I posted a rather inept range report from my day at the DNR range ... So after being accepted into my new gun club, I'm preparring to go out and file a true range report on my rifles accuracy Your pictures have inspired me. Everything I've seen and read on these rifles show them to be exceptional.. The weather here in the Middle Georgia area has been like hell on earth so I'm waiting for a cooler day to take this rifle out.

www.RCGunworksllc.com

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Politicians ignore the others"

Old 07-27-2012, 12:30 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachelle View Post
Nice gift indeed
Thank you.. Just happened to be in the right place at the right time. It was there calling out to me to buy and I had a good excuse to give to my wife to buy it ( retirement gift )

www.RCGunworksllc.com

Old 07-28-2012, 12:06 AM   #20

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

On the bench i prefer not to touch the gun more then i have to. I put my thumb behind the trigger guard and pinch the trigger, palm the rear bag and thats it. That cheek pad make you feel loved by the gun? ( dont take this as me being a smarta$$ im just asking why) Seems to me the more contact you have with the gun the more chance you have of doing something wrong. I know you military guys were trained to grope the gun so dont flip out on me : P

Badshot