Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > My First USPSA Match

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2011, 04:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default My First USPSA Match

So shot in my First USPSA classifier match Sat. thanks to a guy I met on another forum who invited me and loaned me a bunch of gear. Here's my report about what I learned...

1. If you ever get mugged by someone wearing a jacket, hat, etc., that says USPSA on it don't bother drawing on him. Just hand him your wallet, hang your head, and ask, "Can I get you anything else, Sir?" Because those guys will have a mag emptied into your COM and have already done a reload before you have the safety off. (If you're as slow as me at getting out your CCW)

2. If you've ever thought you might want to try something like this, DO IT, and don't be intimidated by #1. Those are only the guys that have been doing it forever, and are in the open class using 'race guns' that will never see use outside of a match. (So much for United States Practical Shooting Association). Really they have classes and levels for everyone and really go out of there way to make the new guy feel welcomed and know what's going on.

3. Tactical Reloads...I've heard them mentioned over and over on here, but never fully realized the benefits. The biggest being that your gun is NEVER empty during the reload as there is still a round in the chamber while you're changing out mags, and the second being that you don't have to rack the slide if you reload before you get to slide lock (because of that said round in the chamber).

4. I need to practice reloads.

5. I need to practice sidestep movement between shots.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-18-2011, 04:52 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2759 Times on 1598 Posts
Likes Given: 1205

The biggest factor is to have fun.

USPSA does post scores, but in the long run, it is you shooting against yourself for score and time.

Improvement will come with practice.

I'm glad you tried it.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-18-2011, 05:14 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks. I had an absolute blast! It's a good thing they only shoot once per month and now until Oct. 'cause I'm definitely addicted now!

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 04-18-2011, 09:21 PM   #4

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Not gonna say.....

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 06-03-2011, 07:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse17 View Post
Thanks. I had an absolute blast! It's a good thing they only shoot once per month and now until Oct. 'cause I'm definitely addicted now!
I dont know where you live, but around here there are 6-8 match's per weekend. And like others said you are really just competing against yourself. The more match's you shoot the better you will get. Then depending on what division you are shooting, modifications to the gun will improve your score. What was your score on the classifier?