Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   Competition Shooting (
-   -   My First USPSA Match (

Jesse17 04-18-2011 05:41 PM

My First USPSA Match
So shot in my First USPSA classifier match Sat. thanks to a guy I met on another forum who invited me and loaned me a bunch of gear. Here's my report about what I learned...

1. If you ever get mugged by someone wearing a jacket, hat, etc., that says USPSA on it don't bother drawing on him. Just hand him your wallet, hang your head, and ask, "Can I get you anything else, Sir?" Because those guys will have a mag emptied into your COM and have already done a reload before you have the safety off. (If you're as slow as me at getting out your CCW)

2. If you've ever thought you might want to try something like this, DO IT, and don't be intimidated by #1. Those are only the guys that have been doing it forever, and are in the open class using 'race guns' that will never see use outside of a match. (So much for United States Practical Shooting Association). Really they have classes and levels for everyone and really go out of there way to make the new guy feel welcomed and know what's going on.

3. Tactical Reloads...I've heard them mentioned over and over on here, but never fully realized the benefits. The biggest being that your gun is NEVER empty during the reload as there is still a round in the chamber while you're changing out mags, and the second being that you don't have to rack the slide if you reload before you get to slide lock (because of that said round in the chamber).

4. I need to practice reloads.

5. I need to practice sidestep movement between shots.

danf_fl 04-18-2011 05:52 PM

The biggest factor is to have fun.

USPSA does post scores, but in the long run, it is you shooting against yourself for score and time.

Improvement will come with practice.

I'm glad you tried it.

Jesse17 04-18-2011 06:14 PM

Thanks. I had an absolute blast! It's a good thing they only shoot once per month and now until Oct. 'cause I'm definitely addicted now! :)

IGETEVEN 04-18-2011 10:21 PM

Not gonna say.....

:D :cool:

ocpd806 06-03-2011 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jesse17 (Post 489072)
Thanks. I had an absolute blast! It's a good thing they only shoot once per month and now until Oct. 'cause I'm definitely addicted now! :)

I dont know where you live, but around here there are 6-8 match's per weekend. And like others said you are really just competing against yourself. The more match's you shoot the better you will get. Then depending on what division you are shooting, modifications to the gun will improve your score. What was your score on the classifier?