My first time shooting in competition today.

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > My first time shooting in competition today.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2010, 11:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default My first time shooting in competition today.

Today I tried something new to me. My father-in-law was a long time shooter in the International Benchrest Shooters. He lost his fight with leukemia this winter. He wanted me to shoot with him this year. Well, the IBS did me a favor. They are trying an AR class this year.

Because I already owned an AR, and I'd like to see the class stay, I chose to shoot in this class. I ordered a new match upper and added a fancy NM trigger to my lower.

The gun shoots better than I can, I stunk today. This shoot was a score shoot. Five relays of five shots for score. A perfect shot is a 10-X. The x is a dot in the middle of the 10 ring. Many experienced shooters shot 250 points and 20 Xs. I shot in the 230s with 6 Xs. It was a real struggle, and I was the only AR (so I won, hehe), but it was a blast.

I would encourage anyone with a fine shooting rifle to find a match. They have a factory class, that is just like it sounds, a great shooting factory gun, that no one was shooting. Many people could shoot in this class with a gun they already own, either AR or a varmint type gun.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-17-2010, 12:31 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2878 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

Some people say that a competition is you against others. I agree in a way, but I also believe it is you against your past scores. Try your hand at other competitions, but be careful. It can become a full time hobby. Congrats.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-17-2010, 01:30 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sounds like a lot of fun! If I had more time I would love to get into competition. I need to take a trip to the range on my next day off!

Old 05-17-2010, 02:22 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I'm glad you had the experience and it was a fitting tribute to your Father in law. How you shot doesn't matter in the least. You honored his memory and that's what means something.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 05-17-2010, 01:09 PM   #5

That isn't a bad score for your first time. Now you can go back & work on getting a better one. The first time at anything is a hard thing to do. I'll bet your father in law would be proud of you.

If you're riding' ahead of the herd, take a look back every now and then to make sure it's still there.

Will Rogers

Old 05-17-2010, 08:51 PM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Some people say that a competition is you against others. I agree in a way, but I also believe it is you against your past scores. Try your hand at other competitions, but be careful. It can become a full time hobby. Congrats.

Personally I take the view that it is a competition against yourself in trying to improve...besides, I would just get too disheartened if I decided to compare myself against others too closely, heh.

Glad you had fun; I'm sure your father-in-law would have been happy

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 06-06-2010, 03:50 AM   #7

Default Update....

So I shot an IBS group match today, and I brought the suk. Good gracious did I shoot poorly.

FYI, score shoots (the first one I shot) are at 5 bulls eyes, groups are just like they sound, small groups.

The groups are 5 rounds. Mine were all three, 'plus two you did its' until the last of 5 relays, which was still disrespectful to my rifle.

I am still learning, but my message to all shooters is get out there and shoot against a standard. The folks that have been doing it for 100 years will likely beat you in the competition, but trying to reach a defined goal at the range is one of the most satisfying thing I have ever done with a gun.