Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Competition Shooting (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f48/)
-   -   My first time shooting in competition today. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f48/my-first-time-shooting-competition-today-27242/)

bgeddes 05-17-2010 12:40 AM

My first time shooting in competition today.

Today I tried something new to me. My father-in-law was a long time shooter in the International Benchrest Shooters. He lost his fight with leukemia this winter. He wanted me to shoot with him this year. Well, the IBS did me a favor. They are trying an AR class this year.

Because I already owned an AR, and I'd like to see the class stay, I chose to shoot in this class. I ordered a new match upper and added a fancy NM trigger to my lower.

The gun shoots better than I can, I stunk today. This shoot was a score shoot. Five relays of five shots for score. A perfect shot is a 10-X. The x is a dot in the middle of the 10 ring. Many experienced shooters shot 250 points and 20 Xs. I shot in the 230s with 6 Xs. It was a real struggle, and I was the only AR (so I won, hehe), but it was a blast.

I would encourage anyone with a fine shooting rifle to find a match. They have a factory class, that is just like it sounds, a great shooting factory gun, that no one was shooting. Many people could shoot in this class with a gun they already own, either AR or a varmint type gun.

danf_fl 05-17-2010 01:31 AM

Some people say that a competition is you against others. I agree in a way, but I also believe it is you against your past scores. Try your hand at other competitions, but be careful. It can become a full time hobby. Congrats.

ta1588 05-17-2010 02:30 AM

Sounds like a lot of fun! If I had more time I would love to get into competition. I need to take a trip to the range on my next day off!

CA357 05-17-2010 03:22 AM

I'm glad you had the experience and it was a fitting tribute to your Father in law. How you shot doesn't matter in the least. You honored his memory and that's what means something.

kansas45 05-17-2010 02:09 PM

That isn't a bad score for your first time. Now you can go back & work on getting a better one. The first time at anything is a hard thing to do. I'll bet your father in law would be proud of you.

zhuk 05-17-2010 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 285925)
Some people say that a competition is you against others. I agree in a way, but I also believe it is you against your past scores. Try your hand at other competitions, but be careful. It can become a full time hobby. Congrats.

Personally I take the view that it is a competition against yourself in trying to improve...besides, I would just get too disheartened if I decided to compare myself against others too closely, heh.

Glad you had fun; I'm sure your father-in-law would have been happy :)

bgeddes 06-06-2010 04:50 AM

Update....

So I shot an IBS group match today, and I brought the suk. Good gracious did I shoot poorly.

FYI, score shoots (the first one I shot) are at 5 bulls eyes, groups are just like they sound, small groups.

The groups are 5 rounds. Mine were all three, 'plus two you did its' until the last of 5 relays, which was still disrespectful to my rifle.

I am still learning, but my message to all shooters is get out there and shoot against a standard. The folks that have been doing it for 100 years will likely beat you in the competition, but trying to reach a defined goal at the range is one of the most satisfying thing I have ever done with a gun.