Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > Match grade factory ammo for F class?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2009, 06:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Match grade factory ammo for F class?

Based on some excellent advice from forum members I've decided on a rifle, scope, and bipod for F/TR class to get started. Before getting into the reloading maze I would like to get familiar with the new gear using factory .308 ammo. As I'm new to the sport I thought I'd use something less expensive for short range familiarization and skill building at first then use high quality match grade factory for longer distances till I get a handle on what I need. Can anyone offer opinions on my factory options that would be suitable in competition? What is the most common bullet type and load for F/TR? Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-12-2009, 12:56 PM   #2

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Lightest bullet you want to use is 175gr Sierra Match King. There is a 155gr Palma SMK but you need a 32" barrel and handloads to get that puppy up to speed.

As far as factory loads. There are 2 that I would look into

Federal 175gr GMM http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=728886

Or Black Hills Factory NEW 175gr SMK Match AMMO.Black Hills Ammunition 308 Winchester 175 Grain Match Hollow Point Boat Tail Case of 500 (25 Boxes of 20) - MidwayUSA

Norma has a 190gr but a 1:10 or faster twist is needed for this. Depending on the bullet. Norma Diamond Line Ammunition 308 Winchester 190 Grain Moly MatchKing Box of 20 - MidwayUSA

Me I would go with the Black Hills stuff. At the f-class matches I have been to the black hills stuff was grouping better than the federal stuff.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:22 PM   #3

Thanks. Sounds like a perfect choice. I'll order some. When it arrives I'll need some ballistics info. I assume Black Hills will provide that info. Of the tables containing Velocity and Trajectory info I've seen there is no mention of barrel length and I'm assuming the 30" barrel of the rifle I will use will skew the tables. How do you deal with that?