Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > Market for a Steel Frame Beretta 92F

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2011, 03:33 AM   #1
KAG
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Market for a Steel Frame Beretta 92F

I was wondering what the demand would be for an aftermarket frame made from 4140 steel to replace the aluminum frame of the Beretta 92F. Please share your thoughts and what you think would be a reasonable MSRP.

I made a couple for myself and I really love it. Its a little bit heavier but just by ~2.5 lbs and I can get back on target faster.

TIA

KAG

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-22-2011, 03:39 AM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAG View Post
I was wondering what the demand would be for an aftermarket frame made from 4140 steel to replace the aluminum frame of the Beretta 92F. Please share your thoughts and what you think would be a reasonable MSRP.

I made a couple for myself and I really love it. Its a little bit heavier but just by ~2.5 lbs and I can get back on target faster.

TIA

KAG
2.5 lbs heavier than a standard Beretta 92F? Dude, that's like adding a 1911 to the weight of the already heavy 92F...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 06-22-2011, 04:00 AM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

So? You want to make a Steel Frame for the 92F?

I would set my sights a little lower, or lighter in this case, for something other than STEEL.

I owned an original Beretta 92F. We bought one shortly after watching\
Lethal Weapon 1 way back before the military was interested in them. My old man "gifted it" to me and I shot it for several years before selling it off.

I have to say NO to the idea of a stainless, or bulk, steel frame, but if you can find something stronger than the aluminum that is lighter than steel, you will have a monster seller on your hands.

Good luck.

JD

Old 06-22-2011, 04:08 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You could make it out of Titanium. It's light AND strong AND it's rare enough that people would pay a premium for it. The biggest problem is price and machining.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:43 AM   #5
KAG

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Machining difficulty of Titanium plus the high complexity of the 92f/fs frame....... that makes me want to cry.... haha

I will see what I can do.

Thanks for all the responses, and any more input would be great.

What about replacement frames from 7075-T6 Alum?

Old 06-23-2011, 04:50 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I think the biggest question is: Did you REALLY mean 2.5 POUNDS?? The entire gun used to weigh 32/34oz. 2.5 pounds means an extra 40 ounces. Did you maybe mean 2.5lbs all-up weight?

Old 06-23-2011, 05:17 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Maybe competitive shooters could use an all-steel model to strengthen relevant muscles during extended practice shoots. I would think extended practice would be when most of the wear on the OEM frames would occur; this could be prevented by using the heavier steel frame just for practice while retaining the light-weight OEM frame for competition. Similar idea to those donut weights for baseball bats.

That sounds like a fairly limited market though. Of course, CZ sells enough of their "kadet kits" for practice plinking to keep making them, so...

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:24 PM   #8
KAG

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Ill re weigh it. I thought it was 2.5lbs more, but thinking about it that doesnt not seem right.

I picked up a 2.5lb lifting weight and it does not weight that much more. My guess is 1lb but I dont have a scale to weight the frame at home. Ill weight it on monday

Old 06-25-2011, 07:31 PM   #9

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 764

i have a 96 .40cal . it weighs a lil more than the 92,maybe?might be a lil more snappier then the 92 in 9mm,but i can hit anything i point it at

a heavier pistol might be a good thing for recoil,unless your just very weak...9mm's dont bite/kick that hard in recoil.kinda like a 1911 in 9mm?

i thought of the same thing....making an all steel frame/slide out of those pop metal pistols like the jennings;now cobra arms...lorcin:now ????.there isnt any complex machining involved,being its a blowback design & the trigger group could be made with any scrap iron,using a die grinder,sharpie,vise

if you have the right mill & can think it....

a good starting price...to me $200.00USD

Last edited by m72law; 06-25-2011 at 07:33 PM.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:24 AM   #10
KAG

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for the input!

It takes my machine 30 min to make an ar15 lower out of a forging. However, I dont have a monster Haas like most folks and it took me a total of 32 machine hours to make the one frame.

If you tear the gun down there is a very complex pocket in the back where hammer and D-Spring goes. That makes it pretty complicated. I know beretta uses (used) CNC and manual milling and broaching operations back in the 80's 90's.

Also, all the slides I have seen are made from steel.

My thought was that the steel frame would allow a longer life for the pistol while maintaining accuracy (for the competitive shooter who puts many more rounds through a gun than most folks). My retail to break-even would have to be set at ~$700 with a lifetime warranty. Dealer would get a discount on buys of 8 or more. (~$500).

This is not in stone but I really want to do this. Ill post pics and an accurate weight when I can later this week.

Thanks, and keep the replies coming!

KAG