Looking to get into small bore shooting sports
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > Looking to get into small bore shooting sports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2010, 07:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Looking to get into small bore shooting sports

I am currently already on the Trap and skeet team at my college, and was thinking of shooting some other events other than shotgun. I am not very knowledgeable about the competition shooting world that is not shotgun. I am thinking that mainly will be shooting for fun just to try it out. Can someone give me a lowdown of the sport and what it entails.

Thanks
Travis

Last edited by t-rav; 11-15-2010 at 07:33 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-17-2010, 07:07 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

By small bore I assume you mean .22 rimfire. There are several good comation .22 rifles on the market. They start around $ 500 without sights. Iron sight are around $ 200 and scopes from there up. Match ammo starts around $ 35 a brick ( 500 ) and up to over $ 100 a brick. If your talking center fire it`s more costly. Gun and scope at least $ 1,300 for anything competive. Then you`ll need a compation reloading press and dies, $ 300 plus. You will also need a case trimer and a neck turner, another $ 100. Brass will run 50 cents to $1 ea. and you will need at least 100 pieces of brass to sort through and get 20 or so that are close enough to use in compation. Hope this helps alittle.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 11-18-2010, 11:22 PM   #3

yea i was thinking .22 rimfire to start with to get my feet wet then eventually move up into centerfire. I want to add rifles into my competition list along side shotguns.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:35 AM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Sorry for this late thread-bump, only just noticed it.

If you're interested in .22 competitions, rimfire metallic silhouette is a very challenging yet entertaining branch of the shooting sports. Offhand only, shooting at metal cutouts representing game animals at varying distances - rams, turkeys, pigs, and chickens - cut to different scales but they all have an "apparent" similar size at the stated yardage.

Looks a LOT easier than it is. Master grade service rifle shooters in my club still often get a maximum of maybe 15-25/50 on a very good day. I got 10 down last weekend, first time I've managed double-figures.

You can also do a centrefire version, in which case the ram silhouettes measure almost a metre across And you gotta hit that sucker at 500m, offhand lol

http://www.ssaa.org.au/competition-info/posters/rifle-metallic-silhouette.pdf

Rimfire comps will also help improve your regular rifle shooting significantly. If you haven't considered Service Rifle, that might also be of interest.

http://www.ssaa.org.au/competition-info/posters/combined-military-rifle.pdf

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 01-02-2011, 01:21 PM   #5

You can get into 22 rimfire shooting with nothing more than a good Savage .22 RF.
Have Scott at Savagegunsmithing do an accuracy job on the rifle and it will shoot right with the very high priced rifles.

Scott will even get the rifle, scope if you want on, mounts and rings for you at his cost if you have him do his accuracy package to the rifle. It's about $190.

My BRJ shoots .1" 5 shot groups so far at 50 yds. I know it shoots even better in hands other than mine.

Scott is a master rifle smith and will do a 1st class job for you.

Savage sells one of their rifles with target sites. It just might be the way to get started without having to break the bank

SavageGunsmithing, he's done right by all who have had them work on their rifles.

John K

Old 01-02-2011, 02:35 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Ruger started a rimfire competition series a couple of years ago. They involve rifle and pistol in a format similar to Steel Challenge.

According to their website, the 2011 schedule is being assembled. But you can check out rules, etc., here: Ruger® Rimfire Shooting Competitions.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 01-27-2011, 06:14 PM   #7

Thanks for the information guys, I do however have a final question is there any of y'all on the forum around the east Texas scene and shoot these events?