long range shooting - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > long range shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 06:40 PM   #11
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Look people, I don't care what you do to a hunting rifle it will not be as accurate as a dedicated target rifle. Quit making yourselves look foolish by recommending that someone get involved in competition with a hunting rifle. Honestly, if you don't know there is a difference between a hunting rifle and a target rifle you should refrain from commenting.
please explain these differences then.

and tell us why a hunting rifle can't be as accurate as target rifle.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:49 PM   #12
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Can a target rifle not be used for hunting?
I can't hunt with a rifle in my state and I only shoot competitively with bp and hand guns.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:03 PM   #13

Liked 314 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 27

http://centralalabamagunclub.com/main/files/5613/2632/3413/F-Class-Rifle-Rules.pdf

Old 10-25-2013, 01:46 AM   #14

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts

One of the more popular long range competitions today is "F" class. "F" class is a class of shooting originally developed by a Canadian target shooter named George Farquharson (The "F" stands for Farquharson). George's intent was multifaceted. He wanted to extend the competitive lives of target shooters who had trouble using iron sights as they aged. He wanted to encourage new shooters to get into long range competition. He wanted to see more developement of rifles and cartridges. More than anything else, he wanted to bring more fun and comraderie into the fullbore arena. With these goals in mind the original rules essentially allowed for any rifle, in any caliber, with any sight, fired from any sort of rest but from the prone position. This class still exists today as the "F" Open class.
From the outset there were three or four approaches to building and shooting in "F" class. One approach was to simply scope your favourite target rifle, whether a 308 or 223, and put a bipod on it and shoot. A second approach was to use a thousand yard BR rifle; slightly modified for firing prone from a rest or bipod. A third approach was to use a slightly modified varmint rifle using a fast twist barrel to shoot the higher BC bullets needed for long range competition. A fourth approach was to build what would be considered to be a "tactical" rifle and go that way.
It didn't take long until it was pretty well established that rifles built along BR lines were most likely to produce top scores. This doesn't mean that other rifle configurations couldn't be competitive; just that a BR type rifle, usually in 6BR or one of the 6.5mm cartridges was easiest to shoot well. With this being the case, it wasn't long before "F" class began to be split up into open and restricted classes. The open class stuck pretty well to the original template while the restricted class ( F/TR) mandated a lighter rifle in one of the two NATO chamberings; 5.56 (223 Rem) or 7.62 (308 Win).
If I wanted to build a winning "F" class rifle today, I would build a rifle in 6BR. I would use one of the Remington clone actions (Stillers are a good choice) or any good BR action and glue it into a McMillan stock which was comfortable to shoot from prone. I prefer to shoot from a rest rather than a bipod. I would make the rifle to weigh about 16 pounds including the scope which would be either a fixed 24x or one of the high powered variables.
If I wanted to be able to compete in the restricted class, I would build the same rifle but chamber it in 308.
If I wanted to start out gently (on my pocketbook), I would buy a Savage "F" class rifle in 6BR, put a scope on it, and start going to matches.
The course of fire for "F" class varies according to what the facilities allow. When I first started shooting "F" class (about fifteen years ago), I was fortunate enough to be able to shoot at a range which ran all the way from 300 to 900 meters and it was an educational experience to learn what my rifle did at the various distances. My first rifle was a 6.5x55 which I built on a Winchester Model 70 action and a McMillan stock. This rifle is still reasonably competitive although, as I said, I would build something different if I was starting out today.
Costs are what you make them. The bare rifle will run from 1000 to 4000 dollars depending on your approach. A scope will run from 300 to 2000 dollars. Bipod or rest from ten to 400 dollars. Surprisingly enough, you can be absolutely competitive spending at the bottom end. The wind is a great equalizer!
Today, I have a few rifles. Some are 308's (three of them), one is a 22/250, one 223, one 6BR, one 6.5x55, one 7x57, a 30/40 Krag, a 300 WSM, and a 30/06. I can do pretty well with any of them. I've never spent more than 800 dollars on a scope but do admire those big bucks Nightforce units!
I have some rifles for which I have two stocks. One stock is made to be fired from a rest while the other allows me to shoot prone with a sling.
Some clubs promote a factory rifle class and some will have a class geared toward hunting-type rifles. In general, a hunting rifle will simply get too hot when firing strings of from ten to twenty shots. In addition, the recoil will wear on you after a while. GD

Old 02-08-2014, 06:42 AM   #15
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 236 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 381

Am buying a ticket asap, maybe then I can stop shopping.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:13 PM   #16
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Can a target rifle not be used for hunting?
I can't hunt with a rifle in my state and I only shoot competitively with bp and hand guns.
a target rifle could be used for hunting, but usually a dedicated target rifle is heavy to help absorb recoil in helping to aid in controlling recoil so as to aid in accuracy. heavy rifles are not usually the best choice for hunting if doing a lot of walking or hiking while hunting as they will tire your out. so yes, they could be used for hunting, but as a general rule, not the best choice. and vice versa, as hunting rifles can be used for target shooting, but they too are not the best choice for that either.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:48 PM   #17

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

This is my stock Remington 700 VTR .308 with nikons new m-308 scope with 800 yard reticle. Got it dialed in at 100 yards. Best group was 3 shots right at 1/2 inch groups. 3/4 average. Back up to 200 yards and getting 1 inch to 1-1/4 inch groups with Federal 168 grain match King BTHP. Going to move on out and shoot in a few weeks. Plan to go to a 1,000 yards if the rifle will go that far. I know a lot of people talk bad about the VTR but I think it is a damn accurate rifle! It's out shooting my sendaro 300 win mag!imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1395146914.777038.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 03-18-2014, 02:32 PM   #18

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts

Remington Model 700VS .308 bolt action rifle. This rifle is glass bedded with free-floating barrel topped with a Unertle 10X x 40mm (Vulture) reticule moving scope. It is very accurate with zeroes out to 1000 yards for the M852 168 grain Sierra HPBT Matchking bullet I have used it in several target matches and successfully bagged deer and black bear using my M852's with push pulled Sierra 165 grain Gameking projectiles. (my standing bear mount) and groundhogs with it.

[IMG][/IMG]
200lb black bear shot at 200 yards from a climbing stand 30ft. up a Georgia pine located on the edge of a cutover and a 40 acre bean field in eastern NC. (i could see as far as 600 yards in several directions).

Old 03-18-2014, 02:37 PM   #19

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts

I used the above rifle in "F" class matches (1000 yards) shooting in the 180's out of a possible 200.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:53 PM   #20

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Nice rifle!!

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk