Like to start comp shooting! question is HOW?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > Like to start comp shooting! question is HOW?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2010, 02:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Like to start comp shooting! question is HOW?

I would like to start competetion shooting. I would like to use my AR15/M4. what leagues or clubs are out there for that.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-23-2010, 07:49 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2962 Times on 1708 Posts
Likes Given: 1272

Most national organizations will have date, times, locations on their websites. Local ranges that sponsor competitions should have info. Chat with range patrons. Show up at the first one with what gear you have (you may be asked to join in), but be prepared to look, learn, listen, and volunteer to paste targets, clean up brass, etc. If there is not competition in your local area, you may also want to see if you can start on at your local range. As with most organizations, "A few will end up doing the work of many.", so take that in account. Volunteers are always needed. Good Luck

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-23-2010, 02:57 PM   #3

Azdoc welcome!!

Not knowing where you're from if local gun stores and gun ranges can't help, I would go a google search of your area and see what comes up.

Old 05-23-2010, 03:36 PM   #4

Underfire
thanks for the help. I'm a rural area of upstate New York Watertown hope that helps. maybe you can give a direction to go in.. Like websites, gear, ammo, targets. thanks for any information you might have ..

Old 05-23-2010, 04:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azdoc View Post
Underfire
thanks for the help. I'm a rural area of upstate New York Watertown hope that helps. maybe you can give a direction to go in.. Like websites, gear, ammo, targets. thanks for any information you might have ..
Azdoc,
Now knowing that you're from New York some of the other members from New York will chime in.

AR15/M4 competitions are getting more & more popular.
Even in my little redneck area of Florida the local range is going to start having Action AR15 competitions. As far as targets & ammo the organizer of the competition will dictate what is to be used. As far as websites you'll have to google some for your local area.

Can local gun stores & gun ranges help?
Also practice as much as possible because if you can't meet the organizers criteria for hitting the target you'll have to stand on the sidelines.
For example: I shoot long distance rifle competition from time to time.
Before the meet the shooters have to qualify. Targets are set at 500yrds.
The shooter has to be able to hit the designated target with all 5 shots.
The competition is from 600yrds to 1000yrds, qualification is 500yrds.
That's just for that particular competition in my area. Qualification criteria will differ depending on event & organizer.

I wish I could be more help.
Good Luck!!

Old 05-23-2010, 08:38 PM   #6

This is a link to CMP to NY from the CMP Club and Competition tracker. There is not a listing for a club in Watertown, but maybe you can find one close.
Club Search Submit
You don’t have to be a member of a gun club to shoot on there CMP shoot. They charge a range fee to both members and non members. One club I shoot at some times charges $10 to non members the club I belong to charges $3 to members. Many clubs also sell ammo.
I was in Watertown a few years back when I had a summer camp at Ft Drum.

Death By Gun Control The Mother of All Stats
In the 20th Century, at least 170,000,000 people were murdered by their own governments -- more killed than by crime – more than killed by war.
http://jpfo.org/index.htm

Last edited by Last Crow; 05-23-2010 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Added information

Old 05-23-2010, 09:17 PM   #7

I wish you luck finding shooting opportunities in Watertown. I just left there back in November and at the time was not an avid shooter. Getting back to the south has made all things "gun" much easier.
Enjoy your time in the beautiful north country.

Evil Conservative Hate-monger.

Calle

Old 05-23-2010, 10:46 PM   #8

Last Crow, UnderFire, SGT Calle
thank you so much for the Infomation. I will help me get on the way. Sorry to bug you all I'm full of question. what is a good tartget to shoot, type of ammo. Hearing protection. Things like that.. or a good place to buy those things so I can practices

Old 05-23-2010, 11:16 PM   #9

Liked 314 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azdoc View Post
I would like to start competetion shooting. I would like to use my AR15/M4. what leagues or clubs are out there for that.
Go to the gun range that you go to; Find the clubs that go to that range and shoot these AR type rifles in competition and meet and greet them; Start with their practice sessions and local matches and shoot. Shoot all they have to offer local and then go from there. It doesn't matter if in the begining you finish last in these matches. It's shooting time under the match constraints (usually time and accuracy) that's going to make you better. The more you do it the better you will get and the more fun you will have.

I guess that I'm saying to just get into it and do it if thats really what you want to do. Be warned, however, it can become very addictive as well as spendy. But, IMO, it's some of the best fun you can have regardless of addiction and expense.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:40 PM   #10

AZDoc,

Check this out:

http://internationalbenchrest.com/downloads/AR%20IBS%20Final%20Rules.pdf

I have shot in one match thus far. It is crazy fun.