Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Competition Shooting (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f48/)
-   -   Like to start comp shooting! question is HOW? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f48/like-start-comp-shooting-question-how-27462/)

Azdoc 05-23-2010 03:07 AM

Like to start comp shooting! question is HOW?

I would like to start competetion shooting. I would like to use my AR15/M4. what leagues or clubs are out there for that.

danf_fl 05-23-2010 08:49 AM

Most national organizations will have date, times, locations on their websites. Local ranges that sponsor competitions should have info. Chat with range patrons. Show up at the first one with what gear you have (you may be asked to join in), but be prepared to look, learn, listen, and volunteer to paste targets, clean up brass, etc. If there is not competition in your local area, you may also want to see if you can start on at your local range. As with most organizations, "A few will end up doing the work of many.", so take that in account. Volunteers are always needed. Good Luck

UnderFire 05-23-2010 03:57 PM

Azdoc welcome!!

Not knowing where you're from if local gun stores and gun ranges can't help, I would go a google search of your area and see what comes up.

Azdoc 05-23-2010 04:36 PM

Underfire
thanks for the help. I'm a rural area of upstate New York Watertown hope that helps. maybe you can give a direction to go in.. Like websites, gear, ammo, targets. thanks for any information you might have ..

UnderFire 05-23-2010 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azdoc (Post 289126)
Underfire
thanks for the help. I'm a rural area of upstate New York Watertown hope that helps. maybe you can give a direction to go in.. Like websites, gear, ammo, targets. thanks for any information you might have ..

Azdoc,
Now knowing that you're from New York some of the other members from New York will chime in.

AR15/M4 competitions are getting more & more popular.
Even in my little redneck area of Florida the local range is going to start having Action AR15 competitions. As far as targets & ammo the organizer of the competition will dictate what is to be used. As far as websites you'll have to google some for your local area.

Can local gun stores & gun ranges help?
Also practice as much as possible because if you can't meet the organizers criteria for hitting the target you'll have to stand on the sidelines.
For example: I shoot long distance rifle competition from time to time.
Before the meet the shooters have to qualify. Targets are set at 500yrds.
The shooter has to be able to hit the designated target with all 5 shots.
The competition is from 600yrds to 1000yrds, qualification is 500yrds.
That's just for that particular competition in my area. Qualification criteria will differ depending on event & organizer.

I wish I could be more help.
Good Luck!!

Last Crow 05-23-2010 09:38 PM

This is a link to CMP to NY from the CMP Club and Competition tracker. There is not a listing for a club in Watertown, but maybe you can find one close.
Club Search Submit
You don’t have to be a member of a gun club to shoot on there CMP shoot. They charge a range fee to both members and non members. One club I shoot at some times charges $10 to non members the club I belong to charges $3 to members. Many clubs also sell ammo.
I was in Watertown a few years back when I had a summer camp at Ft Drum.

SGT_Calle 05-23-2010 10:17 PM

I wish you luck finding shooting opportunities in Watertown. I just left there back in November and at the time was not an avid shooter. Getting back to the south has made all things "gun" much easier.
Enjoy your time in the beautiful north country.

Azdoc 05-23-2010 11:46 PM

Last Crow, UnderFire, SGT Calle
thank you so much for the Infomation. I will help me get on the way. Sorry to bug you all I'm full of question. what is a good tartget to shoot, type of ammo. Hearing protection. Things like that.. or a good place to buy those things so I can practices

mrm14 05-24-2010 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azdoc (Post 288894)
I would like to start competetion shooting. I would like to use my AR15/M4. what leagues or clubs are out there for that.

Go to the gun range that you go to; Find the clubs that go to that range and shoot these AR type rifles in competition and meet and greet them; Start with their practice sessions and local matches and shoot. Shoot all they have to offer local and then go from there. It doesn't matter if in the begining you finish last in these matches. It's shooting time under the match constraints (usually time and accuracy) that's going to make you better. The more you do it the better you will get and the more fun you will have.

I guess that I'm saying to just get into it and do it if thats really what you want to do. Be warned, however, it can become very addictive as well as spendy. But, IMO, it's some of the best fun you can have regardless of addiction and expense.

bgeddes 05-24-2010 12:40 AM

AZDoc,

Check this out:

http://internationalbenchrest.com/downloads/AR%20IBS%20Final%20Rules.pdf

I have shot in one match thus far. It is crazy fun.