Lasik Surgery

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > Lasik Surgery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2009, 03:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Lasik Surgery

I am thinking of getting this done, but I want some opinions from other idpa/uspsa/ipsc shooters. I wear glasses for distance (including shooting). I sit at a desk most of the day reading paperwork without using glasses. My eye doctor discussed having monovision lasik surger for me where one eye would be setup for distance and the other for close. I typically shoot with just my right eye open (I know I could/should learn to shoot with both eyes open). If I get the right eye done for distance, am I gonna have a hard time seeing my front sight? Has anyone experienced this? Any input would be appreciated.

Another option is to have both eyes setup for distance and wear glasses for reading if need be...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-21-2009, 11:06 AM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

I had lasiks done in 2000 and it was a great experience and worth every penny. At the time I was wearing bifocals and I was just tired of the heavy glasses. My case was different than yours as I have lazy eye in my right eye so they couldn't go the monovision route. I chose to have my distance vision improved and wear cheap reading glasses.

I know quite a few folks that went the monovision route and all are happy. One piece of advice, get it done by a certified corneal surgeon. A little more costly than the "walmart" offerings but much less risky in my book. The Dr that did mine (University of SC Medical Center) was one of the original folks that worked to get lasiks "approved" by the AMA...

Last edited by NGIB; 08-21-2009 at 11:09 AM.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:48 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

A friend of mine had both his eye's repaired within 6 weeks this summer. He loves it, but he also said this is a one-time deal and eventually vision will again degrade. He's 69 so it's not a concern for him. I guess it's not surgery for young un's...

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-22-2009, 03:03 AM   #4

Sounds like you have presbyopia - that's a fancy term for what often happens as we get older where you are nearsighted but also can't focus up close. With glasses the typical solution is bifocals.

A couple years ago I was considering getting Lasik done. My doctor recommends monovision, and he suggested I try it out with contacts for a while. I suggest you do the same before you commit to any permanent change to your eyes. What I have found is that monovision is a 85-90% solution for me. Most of the time I am perfectly happy with monovision, but there are times when I can't deal with it and go back to glasses. YMMV, big time. I know many people who are very happy with monovision.

Now, about shooting and monovision. I am right eye dominant/right handed. I generally shoot with both eyes open. In my case we started with my right/dominant eye corrected for distance (typical monovision setup). I was finding that I was not able to get a crisp sight picture with my monovision contacts. I talked with my doctor about that and we switched to a bifocal contact in my dominant eye that gives me a little better near vision in that eye (funny story for another time about me sitting in the chair at the eye doctor's using a prop gun to test out different contact options). It works acceptably well now for shooting, but I still get a better sight picture with my glasses.

We've taken some firearms training from a guy who is a very experienced shooter, a LEO, who has monovision. His advice is to get your dominant eye corrected for near vision if you do monovision Lasik. So that is backwards from what they normally do. Just one opinion.

I think this is greatly dependent on your vision. To some extent with monovision both eyes end up being corrected to some compromise level. My doctor tells me its common to have some mid-range distances where you can't focus completely well. I definitely have found that to be the case. For most activities that isn't a problem. I am fine reading or sitting in front of the computer, and just walking around where I am mostly dealing with distance vision I have no problem. But, there are certain activities I do where those mid range distances are important, and my front sight happens to fall in that range. You can sacrifice a bit of visual acuity at either near or far to get better mid range vision, but then it like I said it ends up being a compromise.

I'm probably rambling here, but suffice to say I strongly recommend you use contacts to mimic whatever you are planning to do with Lasik before you commit to the permanent solution.

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation

Old 08-22-2009, 04:53 AM   #5

Liked 314 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 27

A couple of guys I've worked with some years ago had lasic surgery and it worked out great for them, however they still needed mild strength reading glasses. Another guy I know after pretesting for this procedure didnt qualify to have it done and still wears glasses when working and contacts the rest of the time.

Old 10-17-2009, 06:43 PM   #6

Higher-order aberrations are visual problems that cannot be diagnosed using a traditional eye exam which tests only for acuteness of vision. Severe aberrations can cause significant vision impairment. These aberrations include star bursts, double vision, and a number of other post-operative complications.

Old 10-18-2009, 01:02 AM   #7

Likes Given: 2

Default Lasik Surgery

I had lasik done a couple of years ago. I opted for the monovision as that's how I wore my contacts and it worked great. My distance vision has degraded somewhat (they warned me it would) since then but my close vision is the same. The only side effect I have from the surgery is that my night vision isn't what it was. Other than that, I'm quite happy with it.

Old 12-19-2009, 04:07 AM   #8

Default lasicks

I had my right eye done and its been fine so far. The only thing I have noticed is my close up sight is getting further away! So I use 1.25 readers or as my kids call it granny glasses. But as far as shooting no problems at all! By the way I leave both eyes open weather its a scope, red dot, iron sights or even my bow sights and do just fine. It was only hurting , like sand in my eye, the first day. After that I had no pain or impaired vision. I used the drops they gave me until they were gone. They even fixed an old cornia injusry too while they were at it. Hope this helps! Amie