Junior Shooters....
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > Junior Shooters....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 03:10 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Junior Shooters....

I am going to get a new pistol for my 10 y/o son. I have been looking to do this for a few months, and then I got the May/June issue of Front Sight with a heading of "Focus on Juniors." Needless to say, my son scooped it up as soon as I brought it in, and read the article.

I competed in USPSA for 4 or 5 years then hurt my back at work. Many procedures, and 3 surgeries later, I am on Disability now but am ready to get back into some matches. My son...he's chomping at the bit. He has a Ruger SR22, and a S&W M&P15-22 that he has been shooting for a year and a half. I told him that I will buy him a new pistol if he promises to get good grades (he's an A student), and practices a lot.

My question here is, "What pistol have you bought for your son or daughter?" I plan to start him in production....seems the logical choice, to me. But I would like to know what y'all have picked for your kids first centerfire pistol. Is that platform working out well? My son is 4' 10" tall at 10y/o. I am a 1911, and Glock guy. But the first pistol I thought of for him is a S&W M&P9. Thanks in advance for your input!

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"A man has got to know his limitations....." - Clint

NRA Life Member

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-28-2013, 03:13 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21985 Times on 12396 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeshoreShooter View Post
I am going to get a new pistol for my 10 y/o son. I have been looking to do this for a few months, and then I got the May/June issue of Front Sight with a heading of "Focus on Juniors." Needless to say, my son scooped it up as soon as I brought it in, and read the article.

I competed in USPSA for 4 or 5 years then hurt my back at work. Many procedures, and 3 surgeries later, I am on Disability now but am ready to get back into some matches. My son...he's chomping at the bit. He has a Ruger SR22, and a S&W M&P15-22 that he has been shooting for a year and a half. I told him that I will buy him a new pistol if he promises to get good grades (he's an A student), and practices a lot.

My question here is, "What pistol have you bought for your son or daughter?" I plan to start him in production....seems the logical choice, to me. But I would like to know what y'all have picked for your kids first centerfire pistol. Is that platform working out well? My son is 4' 10" tall at 10y/o. I am a 1911, and Glock guy. But the first pistol I thought of for him is a S&W M&P9. Thanks in advance for your input!
how about the Ruger Mk III 22/45 Target Model. adjustable sights, scope option with the supplied bases, very accurate and decently priced. i gave $275 for mine NIB last year. great pistol and a joy to shoot.

http://ruger.com/products/2245Target/models.html

Old 04-28-2013, 11:58 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yes indeed, I own a 22/45. He has a SR22 that he is efficient with. I'm looking to graduate him to a 9mm. Thanks for the input!

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

NRA Life Member

Old 04-29-2013, 12:15 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Glock 17 (or Glock 34) would work. Common, cheap mags, easy to work on
and tune up the trigger etc.

How big are his hands? A M&P or XD might be a better choice---they can
be tuned to hand size a little easier. Trigger work and magazines are a bit more
expensive.

Do you reload? If so, you might consider a 40 instead of a 9. Same basic
size. You can download 40 to minor and it's almost like cheating---then
later load it major and compete in L10 and Limited.

He already has a SR22? How about a SR9? It's on the Production gun
approved list. I can't say I've seen many of them at matches, but
I really haven't been paying attention to what people are shooting in
Production lately.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:16 AM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21985 Times on 12396 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeshoreShooter View Post
Yes indeed, I own a 22/45. He has a SR22 that he is efficient with. I'm looking to graduate him to a 9mm. Thanks for the input!
okay, i misunderstood about the moving him up to the 9mm.

how about a revolver in 38 special? might also check out the several that Smith and Wesson made in their Ladysmith line of pistols, revolvers and semi-autos. made for smaller hands, in 38 and 9mm.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:37 AM   #6

Liked 71 Times on 59 Posts

If I had to choose I'd say Ruger's new LC380. It seems to be a light recoiling handgun compared to the LCP ,which is from my experience too sharp for a 10/11yr. old. Let him feel what is most comfortable and easy to handle for him.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:13 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I'm going to make an assumption here---at 4'10" and 10 yrs old he has fairly small hands.

Since you are a 1911 guy, do you happen to have a 9mm 1911? If so, you might mod it
to shoot Single Stack/L10 minor like my wifes 1911's. She has really small hands.

Flat Mainspring housing
Thin grip panels (you have to use thin grip bushings)
Short trigger
Low pad thumb safety (Brownells)
Mitchell right side mag release

All reversible as he grows into the gun.

Load us some 147's at 130 power factor, grab some
Dawson or Tripp 10 rd mags and start shooting.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:33 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Took him to a couple gun shops and his top picks were the SR9, and the M&P9 Pro. There are a few factors playing in this choice. A....what fits his hand best, and being comfortable with the grip. B....his proficiency with this gun. Fact is, both of these pistols are on my list. So.....fiscally, the SR9 will come first, but they will both be in my safe soon. And depending on the fit and feel.....in my son's safe in a few months. Thanks for the input all!! Good stuff.

NRA Life Member