IPSC hopeful, need advice - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > IPSC hopeful, need advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2009, 09:50 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2865 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 254

The list of S&W's is pretty extensive. I had to look carefully to see it there. It's OK Matt, I've got your six.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:36 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Go to a shoot, watch, and ask questions (or order an info pack from USPSA's website). It will un-confuse you. Most shooters are very welcoming to new people.

I need a 'bambalance!......Joe

Old 01-08-2009, 07:21 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2865 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 254

I have shot IPSC since 1999. I have count them to be a very open and inviting group of people in all that time I have only come across 2-3 people I would not invite to my house for dinner.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:30 PM   #14
JAB

LeprechaunGunLover shoot your smith or your sig for IPSC and have fun you will need a good holster that covers the trigger and will hold the firearm so it will not fall out and about 5 mags and 4 mag holders plus a stiff belt

Old 02-28-2009, 03:08 AM   #15

Realize this is over a month old but just recently discovered the forum and thought I'd offer a suggestion.

I would use either the Sig or the S&W in production division. I'd suggest you go with whichever one you're more comfortable with and already have equipment for. You'll need a minimum of 4-5 magazines, 3 mag pouches would get you by but I'd suggest 4 and a secure holster.

I've been shooting USPSA matches since 1991.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:16 PM   #16

Default New To IPSC

I know this post is a couple of years old but, instead of starting another post I figured I'd jump on this one. I have the same basic questions on what gun to use. My choices are Glock 19, Sig P250 compact in .40 S&W and lastly Para Ordnance P13. I shoot all adequately but, I need to know what to look for in a competition gun. I can’t afford a $3000 gun and probably never will and I am sure there are better guns than what I have for a more reasonable price but, for now I just want to out there and get started weather I compete or get slaughtered which is probably the more likely since I have never shot competitive. Ok now after I choose one of the guns I have listed above what is next. I am completely green so I am starting from the ground. As a beginner what would be your first move and so on. Thanks

Old 11-09-2011, 08:13 PM   #17
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2971 Times on 1714 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

njsportsman, see if there is a competition in your area. If so, go to it and watch the first match.
Bring your safety gear (ears and eye protection), and volunteer to help. The next time, you will have a better idea what the game is about.

But watching the first will teach you a lot without putting you in the "hot seat" and having to learn on the fly.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 11-10-2011, 11:28 AM   #18

Good info, I want to try IPSC some day as well.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:35 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

njsportsman,

You might also check with ranges in your area. Some ranges offer cheap or free clinics on competition. They are great for learning a little about the game and the rules, and they'll let you "get your feet wet" without having to do a whole match.

Of the guns you listed, my first choice would be the one I shoot best with. To win at IPSC/USPSA, you have to be accurate enough, as fast as you can. So hitting the target is important, but hitting it again and then hitting the next one and the next is vital.

If your abilities with each are the same, I'd probably go with the G19 because it's a 9mm. If you shoot in the Production division, you won't get scoring bonuses for heavier rounds anyway, and 9mm is cheaper to shoot.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 11-15-2011, 07:39 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
IShoot as fast as you can, as slow as you must.

Fast is fine, but accurate is final.
While true that scoring is a combination of accuracy and speed, speed is more important.

I've gotten all Alphas before and finished near the bottom.

Sped up and got Alphas, Charlies and Deltas and greatly improved my score.

Just don't get Mikes and No Shoots...