IPSC hopeful, need advice
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > IPSC hopeful, need advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2009, 09:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default IPSC hopeful, need advice

Ok, Here's what I got. I own a Sig P229 (.40), a S&W model 659 9mm, and a Ruger P345. I'm interested in IPSC, and after a few people on here explained a few things, I realize that the Ruger is out for this style of shooting. Now, what would you all suggest as for which I should use, and why? Also, for the 9mm, does anyone here know about modifications I should make to it for this style of competition?
A competition newby here seeking help! lol
Thanks

dscn5921.jpg   dscn5922.jpg  

"When trouble comes, they come not in single spies, but in battalions."
William Shakespeare

Gun control means using BOTH hands.

Guns don't kill people, Strained Peas do...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-06-2009, 09:40 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

You'll need a well tuned 1911 in .38 Super and thousands of rounds of practice with it.

[/thread]

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Last edited by matt g; 01-06-2009 at 09:44 PM.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:49 PM   #3

ok, then what type of competition do you suggest I go for, given these two weapons and my ruger P345 are the only weapons I have and I can't get another anytime soon?
I know practice is a necessity, but I don't need thousands of rounds simply for practice. I need a few hundred rounds to orient myself with a new weapon, but I am accustomed to all 3 of these guns and only need a few hundred rounds to get used to a specific type of competition. After that, it's just maintaining my skills for that competition. i am competent shooter with all of my weapons and shoot regularly, drilling myself in everything from shooting and moving to transitioning targets, transitioning weapons and shooting around barriers. Are there any other drill types you would suggest as well to help me hone and refine my skills while still in preparation for a specific competition?

William Shakespeare

Old 01-06-2009, 09:56 PM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Why can't you use a Ruger in IPSC?

Old 01-06-2009, 10:09 PM   #5

Alot of people I've talked to on other threads suggested against it. Most go with the 1911 for a recommendation. Mainly, i know that an important mod I would need is a wider magwell, which can't really be done on the Ruger. I know it's not a must, but it sure makes reloading faster.

by the way, nice 1911 in your pic. lol i wish I never got rid of mine. I had an old Remington-Rand, gave it to Dad as a B-day present because I heard he was looking for one.

William Shakespeare

Old 01-06-2009, 10:14 PM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

As long as you like the feel of the 1911, then go for it.

If you don't then you can try out something like a CZ75, or some people run Glocks.

The 1911 is the most popular. I would try out your Ruger just for kicks. Don't go off other people's opinions too much. If you are really good with the Ruger, or S&W or the SIG, then use them. As long as the range rules permit it, try it out.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:27 PM   #7

rgr that, thanks alot man

William Shakespeare

Old 01-06-2009, 10:45 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

1911s are popular in races for the same reason the Jeeps are popular in rock crawling. They're what works and because of that, that is what the aftermarket gives the most support to.

Because of your initial post, I assumed that you wanted to shoot IPSC pistol in the Production division. It's a very competitive class in most areas. I've never competed personally, but I've watched a few matches.

You comment that it might take you a few hundred rounds to get acquainted. There are guys that shoot at these things that fire several thousands of rounds per month. Again, in order to even be competitive, you have to do the same thing that everyone else does, only do it better.

Both the Ruger and Sig are approved for production class, the Smith isn't.

Any other class than the production class would require a 1911 to remain competitive.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Old 01-07-2009, 05:56 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2872 Times on 1496 Posts
Likes Given: 257

I just checked the list of approved guns for production class and the 659 IS approved. The design is a bit dated though (I know the 1911 is A LOT older but calling it a dated design would be heresy).

The second generation Smith's had several shorcomings. I would be inclined to use the Sig even though, in production class, you will be scored minor (like a 9mm). You clould use the Sig in Limited or Limited-10 also.

You will be scored against other unclassified shooters so you have every opportunity to shine. Just remember to listen to the instructions, keep your finger out of the trigger guard when reloading or moving and shoot accurately. Speed will come with time.

You can't miss fast enough to win.

Shoot as fast as you can, as slow as you must.

Fast is fine, but accurate is final.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:09 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I just checked the list of approved guns for production class and the 659 IS approved. The design is a bit dated though (I know the 1911 is A LOT older but calling it a dated design would be heresy).

The second generation Smith's had several shorcomings. I would be inclined to use the Sig even though, in production class, you will be scored minor (like a 9mm). You clould use the Sig in Limited or Limited-10 also.

You will be scored against other unclassified shooters so you have every opportunity to shine. Just remember to listen to the instructions, keep your finger out of the trigger guard when reloading or moving and shoot accurately. Speed will come with time.

You can't miss fast enough to win.

Shoot as fast as you can, as slow as you must.

Fast is fine, but accurate is final.
I must have overlooked the Smith in the list of approved guns.

Roger Waters