Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Competition Shooting (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f48/)
-   -   IPSC confusion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f48/ipsc-confusion-30041/)

zhuk 08-04-2010 09:35 AM

IPSC confusion

Not sure how many members here are into IPSC (dunno, IDPA might seem a better option for those Stateside), but I have a confusing dilemma. After trying out the XD 5" and finding the grip not as good as I'd remembered it & the recoil wasn't great for my increasingly dodgy wrist :( I managed to give the M&P a 2nd try...this time with the small backstrap. And damn if it didn't fit like a glove.

Remembered some advice here previously that if I was going to go the Smith route, to stick with the Pro model as its trigger wasn't quite so uh, painful compared to the 9L stock...

And I know gunshops have the MP in stock right now...unlike the HS which could be on a container ship anywhere between Croatia and here for all I know lol...guy at that range I went to didn't seem too optimistic about them getting here anytime soon.

So, checking out the Pro's specs...the trigger is rated at anywhere between 4-5 lbs pull...and Production division states 5lbs min for the first shot. THEN I find the "official" list and the Pro IS mentioned :confused:

Don't know what the hell to think now. If anyone has an idea why this discrepancy should be so, throw your .2c in. Otherwise please allow this thread to die it's dignified death :o

Flint Rock 08-04-2010 12:17 PM

I can offer no insights as to the rules of IPSC. I do have an M&P Pro that I often shoot in IDPA. I can say the gun was ready right out of the box. The sights and trigger were sweet. I know two guys who went the 9mm XDM route. Both had to send their guns off to a gunsmith and get the sights replaced and the trigger "worked" on. My friends got their XDM's cheaper than the M&P but after that gunsmith work and shipping back and forth, the XDM cost more than the M&P.
I also sometimes shoot a Glock 34. That gun might also be one you should look at. There are some very smooth and fast shooters out there running the Glock 34 and 35.

zhuk 08-04-2010 01:34 PM

Thanks for the reply Flint. Knew it was a bit of a long-shot question; I guess I was just (inevitably!) confusing myself via google & wondered if anyone had an idea...

Does seem a bit weird how there seem to be two contradictory statements, I'm just going to have to have a bit of patience before I can ask someone in my club. Never been very good at patience, heh.

As far as I know, 'trigger jobs' aren't allowed for IPSC Production (like most mods appear not to be either). IDPA seems to be more tolerant in areas like that & no min trigger pull either from what I've read. Of course, IDPA cannot be legal here as it's 'defensive orientated' :rolleyes:

I would be interested in the XDm but the min barrel length in Aus is 5", and I'm afraid glocks feel like the proverbial "caulking gun" to my hands :p and all but the G17L are out anyway due .40 cal illegal evilness & a 10 rnd mag limit.

Appreciate the reply though, I honestly though this obscure question would go unnoticed :D

robocop10mm 08-04-2010 05:03 PM

Here in the States, the only time anyone really checks for compliance with the rules is during an "Area" match or higher level. Local matches are generally on the honor system. As long as you are not trying to shoot an STI, dot sighted, compensated barrel race gun in Production class you should be fine here. Check with your local club to see how strictly they "check" for compliance.

danf_fl 08-04-2010 05:22 PM

Uh.. normally the policy is "Don't ask, don't tell":)

zhuk 08-05-2010 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 325838)
Here in the States, the only time anyone really checks for compliance with the rules is during an "Area" match or higher level. Local matches are generally on the honor system. As long as you are not trying to shoot an STI, dot sighted, compensated barrel race gun in Production class you should be fine here. Check with your local club to see how strictly they "check" for compliance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 325853)
Uh.. normally the policy is "Don't ask, don't tell":)

^heh

Sounds probably about right, robo. But there's been such a lot of political crap happening re our range atm (plus ongoing "issues" including a pending court case with the overseeing range lessee) that I think my club would be pretty toey about not doing everything 'by the book'. We only just got our pistol range time back after a 3 month hiatus due to a whole lot of spurious accusations...there would be those who are just waiting for us to 'slip up'. So yeah I wouldn't want to rock any boats on that score :rolleyes:

Will definately ask our Secretary who runs the pistols comps this Saturday :)

Many thanks for your replies guys.

zhuk 08-05-2010 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpha (Post 326374)
You want in a nutshell. Stay with IDPA and forget about IPSC. I find IDPA a more practical match, with less hassles and rules than IPSC. I personally think IPSC are a bunch of premadonna's:D Have you seen their Tournament Rules for 3 gun? 26 pages of rules just to shoot your gun downrange? YIKES!!!:eek:

Yeah not surprised, its pretty rule-heavy. We also had to read what seemed like a small book when being examined for the compulsory 'Safety and Holster Proficiency Course' - a mouthful in itself :p

IDPA is not legal in Australia, due to its "defensive nature" (no possibility of encountering self-defense scenarios and real life encounters in this country - well not armed anyway lol) So unless you want to do Metallic Silhouette, ISSF or Cowboy Action revolver....it's IPSC or nothing.

You can't legally possess a handgun just to go out and 'plink', you must be a competition shooter to have that necessary 'legal and genuine' reason.

danf_fl 08-05-2010 08:19 AM

That is THE main reason I will not visit your country. What started as a penal / exile colony, should not be today.

DrumJunkie 08-05-2010 08:33 AM

...,you said penal ;)..heh

Keep up the good fight zhuk! Show them that you can be a gun owner and not have rabies, plague and feel like your dog is telling you to do bad things (Though we know that the hound IS trying to influence you).

Who knows, maybe one day they will find the magic tweezers that can remove that wild hair that has them blame inanimate objects for the actions of the people holding them.

Oh, and I think they list the M&P as a 5# trigger for the use you are thinking about using it as. I'd imagine that if it weighed in a little low it would not be too much to get it to 5#

zhuk 08-06-2010 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 326388)
That is THE main reason I will not visit your country. What started as a penal / exile colony, should not be today.

Actually, I think this was pretty much the genesis of the problem, why we have the difference in culture re guns today. Aroung 1790 the first gun control laws were enacted, 2 years after British settlement - you can hardly blame the Govt being a bit uh, leery of those (recently released) convicts having ready access to firearms :p

So the country as a whole does not have the culture of widespread ownership, and will never do so. Its truly a mindset thing that you can't turn back the clock regarding, just as much as armed self defence is ingrained in the hearts of Americans. Bit more acceptance as a rural necessity for vermin control/putting down injured stock etc...but in urban areas? Not a chance. Which is why the sporting shooter is constantly up against it justifying our activities.

I can't kid myself that we can ever be like the US here...there would never be the (even vaguely near enough) public support which would be necessary for the concept to fly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrumJunkie (Post 326392)
...,you said penal ...heh

Keep up the good fight zhuk! Show them that you can be a gun owner and not have rabies, plague and feel like your dog is telling you to do bad things (Though we know that the hound IS trying to influence you).

Who knows, maybe one day they will find the magic tweezers that can remove that wild hair that has them blame inanimate objects for the actions of the people holding them.

Oh, and I think they list the M&P as a 5# trigger for the use you are thinking about using it as. I'd imagine that if it weighed in a little low it would not be too much to get it to 5#

Hey we're giving it our best shot drum. All you can do is present some sort of reasoned argument to counter the cacophany of antis nonsense which the Greens etc spend so much time & $$ propagating. But its really a case of pushing sh1t uphill, ever since PM Howard's monumental scare-mongering efforts in the 90s...which considering his primary position in the nation, was pretty f*cking considerable! :mad:

I DO of course live in hope that sense may prevail...you really have to think that. No matter what!

As for the M&P...had a word with our club captain today; he reckons adjustable sights are the way to go, since I have to sight the gun in at 25m. I believe being a defensive/service pistol the factory would set them about 7m? I could use the Pro in Open Division (re sub-5lb trigger), but there's a lot more scope for Production comps. Plus, I'm used to 3-dot and would be more expense + god knows how much time to get the F/O-fixed swapped for dot sights. Pistol gunsmiths are pretty thin on the ground here.

So, looks like the 9L will be it :) Going to check it out at the importer next Wed...will get the whole thing set up lefty (mag release) just to be sure re fit etc. Can forsee a sh1tload of dry firing in my future to work out that trigger lol

(not complaining, mind :p)