Introduction to 3-Gun Competition
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > Introduction to 3-Gun Competition

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2014, 02:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Introduction to 3-Gun Competition

The sport of 3-Gun is growing like mad right now. I wrote an article on the topic. So I figured I'd share it here to help anyone that's interested in getting started.

How To Get Started in 3-Gun Competition

Bidah Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-21-2014, 05:29 AM   #2

Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the info. Its encouraging because as a newb it can be intimidating, thanks for the post

Old 06-21-2014, 12:20 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARConquest View Post
Thanks for the info. Its encouraging because as a newb it can be intimidating, thanks for the post
It is very intimidating at first. Just remember by showing up you instantly have 20-300 (depending on the size of the match) new friends that are there to help you get going.

Old 06-23-2014, 03:39 PM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

it's too bad that they make everybody waste their time and money on the shotgun part. If you're carrying a rifle, you're not going to bother with a shotgun. Ifyou're carrying a shotgun, you'll only use it until you can take a rifle from a dead body(if you've got any sense, that is). the money spent on a shotgun will do you a lot more good if it's spent on a sound suppressor for your rifle. You can have a fine one made by a local machineshop for $100 (and some work that you do yourself), plus the $200 Federal tax stamp. So it's not that big a deal to have a "silencer" for your fighting rifle. You won't believe how much it helps you get swift hits (and what it does for you in the game fields).

Old 06-23-2014, 04:07 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uanda View Post
it's too bad that they make everybody waste their time and money on the shotgun part. If you're carrying a rifle, you're not going to bother with a shotgun. Ifyou're carrying a shotgun, you'll only use it until you can take a rifle from a dead body(if you've got any sense, that is). the money spent on a shotgun will do you a lot more good if it's spent on a sound suppressor for your rifle. You can have a fine one made by a local machineshop for $100 (and some work that you do yourself), plus the $200 Federal tax stamp. So it's not that big a deal to have a "silencer" for your fighting rifle. You won't believe how much it helps you get swift hits (and what it does for you in the game fields).
There is a 2-gun league call us carbine association. USCA. Good stuff!

The shotgun is a fun gun to learn and shoot. All the different shot, choke, and target types makes it very versatile. If you haven't tried tactical/action shot gunning you're missing out.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:58 AM   #6

Jesse

Are you allowed to run suppressors in 3 gun?

Old 06-24-2014, 08:36 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARConquest View Post
Jesse

Are you allowed to run suppressors in 3 gun?
There are some rules about compensator size for most divisions and a suppressor would count as a muzzle device. So you may only be lowed to run it in open division at a big match with prizes on the line. But at local match for fun I would think a match director would let you run it in any division. Hard part is making sure the timer picks up the last shot.

My Videos

Accurate Iron Custom STI Edge 5 | Accurate Iron Benelli M2 Shotgun | Stag Arms Model 3G | Accurate Iron Glock 34 | Accurate Iron Glock 35 | DPMS Panther LR 308

Old 06-24-2014, 05:27 PM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

At USPSA 3Gun matches they will not allow Suppressors, but as Jesse says, some Outlaw matches do. Our club does allow them in whatever division you shoot. We also have night matches and night vision is allowed in those too (as are lasers).

Really, if you want to give it a try, get some ammo and go. We have shooters show up with stuff you would never think of, even a bolt action .270 deer rifle last year. This year that same shooter has all upgraded gear since he found he liked it. In the competition shooting world I have found the 3Gun groups to be a great bunch.

-Bidah

ARConquest Likes This 
Old 07-11-2014, 12:52 AM   #9

Jesse,

I went and did some rifle training/practice and shot on a timer, which was the first time ever. It was awesome and added some feedback I hadn't experienced before. It was a blast and I did fairly well for my first time, I will be going again tomorrow.

Thanks for the encouragement for beginners, my goal is to shoot a match before the summer is up