IDPA is it worth it - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > IDPA is it worth it

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 09:53 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1588 Times on 1085 Posts
Likes Given: 550

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
That was not an accidental discharge, it was a negligent discharge. ND means shooter error, and IDPA rules state that shooter is disqualified.

I hope you're man enough to admit fault and go back to play the best game that exists.
I an an AVID IDPA shooter with many, many, many local, state and national/world matches attended across the US.

be careful, take your time. That's the most important advice for the new shooter. Make safety a habit.

BTW, I was wrongly disqualified at a state match this year for an AD by malfunction. My G34 slamfired at load and make ready. The SO told me to take my finger off the trigger. I held the gun up to his face showing him my finger was safely rested on the SLIDE. The entire squad saw my finger sagely located.

He had already marked the scoresheet, I refused to sign, match director was called to officiate, and wrongly agreed to an incorrect call.

It sucks, but I will go back.
The part about getting disqualified is not my issue. My issue is they have no venue for training. No way to get some range time so I am not like a cat on a hot tin roof. It's compete or stay away. Well, I have issues with that.

I am pretty sure one of the officers will help me out so I have good range manners. I might shoot other IDPA events.

The range I was at today needs to come up with a way to introduce new shooters to IDPA. It's their bread and butter. If you can't bring new players into your game it will die. It is dying now. This same two day event had 240 shooters last year. They had around 60 this year. This year they had wonderful weather.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:17 PM   #12
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21582 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
The part about getting disqualified is not my issue. My issue is they have no venue for training. No way to get some range time so I am not like a cat on a hot tin roof. It's compete or stay away. Well, I have issues with that.

I am pretty sure one of the officers will help me out so I have good range manners. I might shoot other IDPA events.

The range I was at today needs to come up with a way to introduce new shooters to IDPA. It's their bread and butter. If you can't bring new players into your game it will die. It is dying now. This same two day event had 240 shooters last year. They had around 60 this year. This year they had wonderful weather.
first of all, you might hang out and get to know some of the local shooters. these guys practice somewheres, as they don't usually just show up and compete. nobody gets better without practice, even very competitive shooters.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:26 PM   #13

Liked 15 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer

This is the exact reason I don't shoot IDPA at my local range. They have absolutely no type of "introduction" to IDPA. Kinda frustrating.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:22 PM   #14

Liked 2190 Times on 1291 Posts
Likes Given: 475

The IDPA in Jacksonville, FL made a new shooter division where they put some of their more experienced range safety officers and add a couple more experienced shooters in with the group to do some coaching. They expect people to go a bit slower in those brackets. It allows for some instant feed back from the more experienced shooters. It also drops the pressure level a bit on the new shooters, so they don't have the number of nerve related incidents.

Your suggestion is a very good one and more chapters should give it considration.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:06 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Another thing that could be done is allow new shooters to shoot the match without their score being logged. That way if their score was enhanced by bending the rules a bit it wouldn't qualify the new shooter for matches they don't belong in. Lets be honest, a shooter that has never shot in a pistol match can't comprehend the IDPA rules. I read the rules several times before shooting a match. There was a lot of language in the rule book I didn't understand until I shot the match. I am not new to competitive shooting. I have shot skeet and sporting clays in some pretty high class matches. If I didn't understand the language in the rule book the average shooter isn't going to get it.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:47 AM   #16

Liked 1839 Times on 1025 Posts
Likes Given: 1214

I shoot IDPA. I love it. The first time I did it I got a bunch of procedurals. I was dropping loaded mags on the ground. Once I reloaded while not behind cover. My score sucked on the first time. But I was safe. That was what was important. If you used your decocker instead of dry firing you would have been walking around with a hot gun instead of shooing it into the backstop.

People make mistakes. We all do. That is why we have these rules. Dont be embarassed. Dont give up either. Just go into it to have a good time. As far as rules go, just worry about the safety stuff. You will lose a few procedural points in the begining. Dont sweat that. Just be safe and have a good time.

By the way if the safety officer did not check the chamber before saying "Slide Forward" then it is as much their fault as yours. But you still get the DQ.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:50 AM   #17

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Regardless of your score in a local match, it "qualifies" you for nothing.

You go back, take your time, follow SO instruction, keep your finger off the trigger while transitioning, take your time, don't get in a hurry, take your time....

And listen to commands.

Show me clear- this can only be done with the magazine removed.
Slide forward hammer down- this can only be done after showing clear
holster.

Just slow down and take your time.

AND, if you think it was harrowing for you as the new shooter, imagine how the SO feels. I've looked down the barrel of SO MANY guns while running the timer, I've lost count. Its somewhat nerve racking. I've never had anyone I was running fall down or drop a gun, but I've seen it.
Last year we had a new guy show up, he attended the new shooter orientation, borrowed a holster and shot.
He was awkward, shot very poorly, but kept trying.
After the mag change I was giving him basic instruction to improve his abilities. I told him "look, you didn't do great, but it wasn't horrible. I regularly see worse from people who have been shooting as long as I have"

He said "I thought I did great for it being the first time I've ever shot a pistol.

Holeeeey ****. That's what I said out loud.

He was encouraged to find a handgun intro course before coming back.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Last edited by willfully armed; 12-11-2012 at 04:00 AM.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:35 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

If I shoot another IPDA event I will shoot it with a revolver. No one can ask me to do anything I am not used to doing or I have to think about. As for requiring me to use the decocker that was unnecessary. The rules clearly state hammer down. There is not a single word about using the safety or decocker in the rule book.

I also made the mistake of using a real concealment holster. I have a "bucket" holster for lack of a better term. I read an article by Massad Ayoob about getting the most from an IDPA event. He said you should use the holster you carry your gun in every day. That is great if you have shot enough events that you don't have to think about the rules. If you are just starting out make every thing as easy as possible.

The next event I shoot will likely be at another range that requires shooters to have a safety card to do anything. By the time I get my safety card I will know the ins and outs of shooting pistol events. My only previous pistol competition has been impromptu silhouette matches at a skeet club. There were no safety rules other than common sense.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #19

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Hammer down is NEVER done by decocker. If an SO advised you to do this, Idpa corporate needs to know.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 12-11-2012, 01:56 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
Hammer down is NEVER done by decocker. If an SO advised you to do this, Idpa corporate needs to know.
They had me drawing my gun with the decocker engaged. I would never carry the gun like that. The P95 is issued by the military. The army doesn't even train with the decocker engaged. It's faster to draw the gun and chamber a round than fool around with the decocker. In fact, that is exactly what the army is training officers who carry the P95 to do.

The only rule for drawing a SA/DA pistol is the hammer must be down. Virtually all DA/SA guns have a heavy trigger pull like a revolver in DA. The safety or decocker is just to make a lawyer happy. I have yet to see anyone other than someone who carries a 1911 cocked and locked use the safety.