Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > IDPA Shooters...what do you use?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2011, 05:18 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby View Post
Not shooting to win. Shooting to practice. The adrenaline during competition is about as close to 'real world' as you can get, which is why I'm going to get involved in it.
Also going to look into getting into steel in a while. Don't want to jump into ten puddles at once, right?
Wife started off with her .22 JR Higgins I bought her, bolt action, and her .380 Semi. She loves both. Then she shot my Savage Axis .270. Now? She has her own (a Remington .270) and wants to go deer hunting!!
Still looking for a place to take her to do some around here.
I've done the tactics shootings before, when I was in the service, and still remember most of it, but after watching several videos, I've realized some of the fundamentals have been changed.
Sons need to learn a skill. Reality is, we're getting short on gunsmiths, even those that do the rudimentary 'parts swap' and annual 'deep clean' on firearms, and there's work to be had.
So...let them learn a skill they like.
I might have been more clear...yeah...shoot to win (just do it safely). I am having trouble with this one. Okay here goes....Don't make WINNING your number one goal until you are running the gun, and the gun isn't running you. Once you have the fundies down pat, and are on auto pilot with all that, then try to win against yourself. Make your goal to shoot better then YOU. Once you consistently shoot better than YOU...then try to shoot better than the other guys.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:22 PM   #22

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Oh, I fully understood what you said. I am shooting to beat myself. I want to be shooting at the point where I'm fighting myself over a 1/10th of a second, and shots are tight and close.
If I win the competition, that's nothing more than a bonus. I'm out to beat myself, be safe, and improve regularly. (We're actually looking at some acreage in our market area to purchase in the next year, so we can set up a private family range!)

Old 10-17-2011, 10:31 PM   #23

Sorry if I came off as rude in this thread. I just felt everybody has the right to approach a match from there own perspective. Hope I did not step on any toes.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:00 PM   #24

Liked 1090 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 276

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby View Post
Arizona, what is a 'bug only shoot'?
In Florida, in the Summertime, we have a kind of BUG only shoot, but that is because we have mosquitos that stand flat-footed to make love to turkeys. The firearm involved is usually a .12 ga. full choke.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 10-17-2011, 11:04 PM   #25

Liked 1090 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 276

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongsao1 View Post
There are clearly 3 types of people that shoot IDPA. Theres those guys that are not in any hurry, and just want to have a good time, nothin wrong with that. There's those guys that want to be as tactical as possible to practice as close to self defense as possible, nothing wrong with that. Laste theres those guys like me who love to compete , we upgrade our equipment within the rules and truly want to win, again nothing wrong with that.
I shoot a S&W M&P 9L with a Apex trigger kit and fiber optic comp sights. I want to do the best I can. Play the game how you want to, its your entry fee, time and ammo. Most important be safe and have fun. If someone wants to get butthurt because "your doing it wrong" in there oppinion, thats there problem.
What does it generally cost to participate in one of these matches?

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 10-18-2011, 03:29 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
What does it generally cost to participate in one of these matches?
Last I checked, the matches at Gateway (in Jacksonville) were $20. You can contact First Coast IDPA for current info.

These look like good matches, but I haven't shot in one (I frequently work on the first Saturday of the month).

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 10-20-2011, 12:36 AM   #27

Default Idpa

I've been shooting my Beretta 92FS.
But am putting together a 9mm 1911 to shoot.