Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > IDPA Shooters...what do you use?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2011, 11:04 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
willfully armed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Olathe,JOCO KS
Posts: 1,998
Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby View Post
Arizona, what is a 'bug only shoot'?
Back
Up
Gun.




Ben, what gun are you planning on using? It will decide what class you shoot.
__________________

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

willfully armed is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:44 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BenLuby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Douglasville,Georgia
Posts: 2,169
Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Leaning heavily toward the XDm .40.

__________________
BenLuby is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:24 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ArizonaLawman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florence,AZ
Posts: 463
Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby View Post
His videos, although they are 'sales pitches' are a hell of a lot less irritating than some of the others, so I wound up watching like ten of them last night on the XD(M).
Bad part is, he makes it look so easy.
And even coming close to beating him equates to being on hell of a good shot as far as I am concerned.
Robbie IS The Great One....period. He DOES make it look easy. Rob is one of those guys who just runs his gun like it's a part of him...or he is part of the gun. Either way, it is truly like watching the master.

Like I said....I was having my best day ever, and he was recovering from double knee surgery, and he still won the stage and match (we're all used to that out there). I have never seen anyone beat him on a stage except Doug Koenig, and some of the best shooters in the southwest shoot Rio.

We joke that above MASTER, they ought to have a new class simply called LEATHAM.
__________________
"If you take your hands off the back of my cruiser one more time...I will make your birth certificate a worthless document!"
ArizonaLawman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:41 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BenLuby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Douglasville,Georgia
Posts: 2,169
Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaLawman View Post
Robbie IS The Great One....period. He DOES make it look easy. Rob is one of those guys who just runs his gun like it's a part of him...or he is part of the gun. Either way, it is truly like watching the master.

Like I said....I was having my best day ever, and he was recovering from double knee surgery, and he still won the stage and match (we're all used to that out there). I have never seen anyone beat him on a stage except Doug Koenig, and some of the best shooters in the southwest shoot Rio.

We joke that above MASTER, they ought to have a new class simply called LEATHAM.
In other words, you don't compete for first place. You're all fighting over second!!
I've only seen a couple of people shoot that way, where it's almost like pointing a finger and boom. Target is hit, every time.
I'll have to see if I can find some videos of him competing at home and watch.
__________________
BenLuby is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 03:17 PM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ArizonaLawman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florence,AZ
Posts: 463
Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby View Post
In other words, you don't compete for first place. You're all fighting over second!!
I've only seen a couple of people shoot that way, where it's almost like pointing a finger and boom. Target is hit, every time.
I'll have to see if I can find some videos of him competing at home and watch.
...or third....or fourth....

The most competitive classes are B and C though. Guys are really fighting to move up (3 wins in your class) and most of the shooters out there are in B and C. I just like the comraderie out there in the shooting community.

NO one (with the exception of some of the boutique gun shop snobs who wear all the stylish gear and have $4k guns and can't shoot 'em anyway) out there is a snob and EVERYONE is willing to help out, coach, loan equipment, and generally try our best to include everyone in the sport. I have seen guys lend their own guns to someone who's gun has failed so they can finish the match. I have my spare gun in my bag at all times, and will freely lend it, mags, holster, and mag pouches to someone in need. There is usually one or two Glock armorers there (me included) who will install parts or sights on someone's gun for free. All in all, it's a GREAT place to shoot and compete.

No one is a better coach or ambassador than Leatham himself. If he knows you....he will kid you mercilessly...if you're a new shooter, he will offer advice and never be condescending.
__________________
"If you take your hands off the back of my cruiser one more time...I will make your birth certificate a worthless document!"
ArizonaLawman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 03:29 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BenLuby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Douglasville,Georgia
Posts: 2,169
Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Realistically, that is why I am really leaning toward the IDPA. Leaning hell. I'm going to get into it. Even if I just go and watch for a while as a member, until I decide to go shoot.
Watched numerous videos on it (Gail Pepin is scary good, but Massad Ayoob is just a freak with a firearm, and that book you recommended? Ordered it, fantastic read. Gonna make my sons read it.) and was impressed with the way they go about it.
Just looks like fun. I won't run the classifier for a while.
Son's want me to order the online gunsmithing course for them, so I'm going to do that so we can all learn more about the guts of them.
But I just missed the firearms community as a whole. Now that I'm getting back into it, my wife and sons have jumped on board as well.

__________________
BenLuby is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:28 PM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ArizonaLawman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florence,AZ
Posts: 463
Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby View Post
Realistically, that is why I am really leaning toward the IDPA. Leaning hell. I'm going to get into it. Even if I just go and watch for a while as a member, until I decide to go shoot.
Watched numerous videos on it (Gail Pepin is scary good, but Massad Ayoob is just a freak with a firearm, and that book you recommended? Ordered it, fantastic read. Gonna make my sons read it.) and was impressed with the way they go about it.
Just looks like fun. I won't run the classifier for a while.
Son's want me to order the online gunsmithing course for them, so I'm going to do that so we can all learn more about the guts of them.
But I just missed the firearms community as a whole. Now that I'm getting back into it, my wife and sons have jumped on board as well.
That's good to hear...about the family. My wife has gone from "scared of guns" whwn we first met, to enthusiastic shooter and competitor. My daughter, who is 7, just picked out her new Sig Mosquito .22lr pistol for her next birthday.

As for competition: Remember this...ANY sport that teaches you how to run the gun, instead of the gun running you is good. Even stand-up bullseye teaches ALL the fundamentals. Steel shooting really teaches shooting on the move, and reloading. IDPA gives you the opportunity to solve "confrontational issues" with a gun. Remember though...shoot the way you would ON THE STREET, not to WIN the competition.
__________________
"If you take your hands off the back of my cruiser one more time...I will make your birth certificate a worthless document!"
ArizonaLawman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:22 PM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BenLuby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Douglasville,Georgia
Posts: 2,169
Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaLawman View Post
That's good to hear...about the family. My wife has gone from "scared of guns" whwn we first met, to enthusiastic shooter and competitor. My daughter, who is 7, just picked out her new Sig Mosquito .22lr pistol for her next birthday.

As for competition: Remember this...ANY sport that teaches you how to run the gun, instead of the gun running you is good. Even stand-up bullseye teaches ALL the fundamentals. Steel shooting really teaches shooting on the move, and reloading. IDPA gives you the opportunity to solve "confrontational issues" with a gun. Remember though...shoot the way you would ON THE STREET, not to WIN the competition.
Not shooting to win. Shooting to practice. The adrenaline during competition is about as close to 'real world' as you can get, which is why I'm going to get involved in it.
Also going to look into getting into steel in a while. Don't want to jump into ten puddles at once, right?
Wife started off with her .22 JR Higgins I bought her, bolt action, and her .380 Semi. She loves both. Then she shot my Savage Axis .270. Now? She has her own (a Remington .270) and wants to go deer hunting!!
Still looking for a place to take her to do some around here.
I've done the tactics shootings before, when I was in the service, and still remember most of it, but after watching several videos, I've realized some of the fundamentals have been changed.
Sons need to learn a skill. Reality is, we're getting short on gunsmiths, even those that do the rudimentary 'parts swap' and annual 'deep clean' on firearms, and there's work to be had.
So...let them learn a skill they like.
__________________
BenLuby is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:59 PM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bongsao1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: orlando,florida
Posts: 28
Default

There are clearly 3 types of people that shoot IDPA. Theres those guys that are not in any hurry, and just want to have a good time, nothin wrong with that. There's those guys that want to be as tactical as possible to practice as close to self defense as possible, nothing wrong with that. Laste theres those guys like me who love to compete , we upgrade our equipment within the rules and truly want to win, again nothing wrong with that.
I shoot a S&W M&P 9L with a Apex trigger kit and fiber optic comp sights. I want to do the best I can. Play the game how you want to, its your entry fee, time and ammo. Most important be safe and have fun. If someone wants to get butthurt because "your doing it wrong" in there oppinion, thats there problem.

__________________
http://www.makingmasterclass.com
bongsao1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:14 PM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BenLuby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Douglasville,Georgia
Posts: 2,169
Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongsao1 View Post
There are clearly 3 types of people that shoot IDPA. Theres those guys that are not in any hurry, and just want to have a good time, nothin wrong with that. There's those guys that want to be as tactical as possible to practice as close to self defense as possible, nothing wrong with that. Laste theres those guys like me who love to compete , we upgrade our equipment within the rules and truly want to win, again nothing wrong with that.
I shoot a S&W M&P 9L with a Apex trigger kit and fiber optic comp sights. I want to do the best I can. Play the game how you want to, its your entry fee, time and ammo. Most important be safe and have fun. If someone wants to get butthurt because "your doing it wrong" in there oppinion, thats there problem.
In my opinion 'doing it wrong' is sitting at home on my arse watching figure skating.
__________________
BenLuby is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
new gun for IDPA jbd Competition Shooting 7 01-30-2010 09:53 PM
Gun for IDPA NGIB Competition Shooting 37 12-22-2009 05:31 AM
First IDPA match NGIB Competition Shooting 7 12-14-2009 05:59 PM
Idpa thornybird Competition Shooting 0 06-05-2007 05:23 PM