Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > IDPA Shooters...what do you use?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2011, 04:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default IDPA Shooters...what do you use?

So...I realize this is probably equivalent to asking the best beer, but what caliber/type firearm do you use for your IDPA competitions? The reason I specifically ask that, instead of competition guns, is because IDPA pretty much uses stock, and most other competitions use customs.
I find it an interesting sport.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-07-2011, 01:36 AM   #2

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I started in SSP with gen 2 G17, went to a gen 3 G20, now its G34.
I've got another G34 that I've bastardized for ESP.

bladetech pistol and mag holsters.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 10-07-2011, 01:41 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

For IDPA...I use my everyday carry Glock 22 RTF. My feeling is that since IDPA is for carry guns and gear...that's what I use.

I carry in a leather pancake holster with matching dual magazine pouch made for me by another retired cop.

I use a simple Casual Male canvas vest, or fleece jacket (in winter) for my cover garment.

I use what I would normally carry/wear daily for IDPA matches.

I will NOT use my competition sweetened Glock 17 3rd Gen with the Ghost Rocket trigger and high speed low drag holster and million mags. There are a few "gamers" sneaking in who have tricked their IDPA guns out to the max allowed by the rules and loopholes, and I won't buy into that. That mentality is what ruined IPSC years ago IMO.

Old 10-07-2011, 04:19 PM   #4

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaLawman View Post
For IDPA....
I will NOT use my competition sweetened Glock 17 3rd Gen with the Ghost Rocket trigger and high speed low drag holster and million mags. There are a few "gamers" sneaking in who have tricked their IDPA guns out to the max allowed by the rules and loopholes, and I won't buy into that. That mentality is what ruined IPSC years ago IMO.
Wow.

IDPA IS A GAME. Just as IPSC is a game. Different classes for different guns. You wouldn't run your g22 against Matt Hopkins' open CZ gun because class limitations wouldn't allow for it.

My SSP gun is stock Glock. My ESP gun is WAY NOT stock. Magwell, 2# trigger with no take up and a 1911 reset. Completely resprung, steel guide rod, sevigny comp fiber sight.

But this is exactly why classes exist.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 10-07-2011, 05:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
Wow.

IDPA IS A GAME. Just as IPSC is a game. Different classes for different guns. You wouldn't run your g22 against Matt Hopkins' open CZ gun because class limitations wouldn't allow for it.

My SSP gun is stock Glock. My ESP gun is WAY NOT stock. Magwell, 2# trigger with no take up and a 1911 reset. Completely resprung, steel guide rod, sevigny comp fiber sight.

Do you acknowledge that when you sign up and compete in the custom class?

Old 10-07-2011, 06:00 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
Wow.

I know...I agree...I could have posted my reply better. Yes, classes DO exist for a reason, and I should have clarified that MY own choice in IDPA is strictly "shoot what I carry" as I consider IDPA the best competition around for self defense based shooting, that's why I really dig on our BUG only matches.

I shot IPSC when hi-tech was a beavertail...then "all the crap you can hang on your gun" came into vogue and I stopped for a LONG time. Similarly...I shoot USPSA (steel shooting) with my slick as hell Glock 17 with Aro Tek sights, Ghost Rocket, Mag Well, Wolff Springs, etc..etc..etc...BUT...I also shoot USPSA with a stock revolver in the summer, and in PRODUCTION CLASS once a month with my carry gun.

I am not whizzing on anyone's choice, just stating my own preference for ME and why I shoot IDPA.

Also, the guys who say that "competition will ruin your tactical shooting" etc...etc...are probably pretty crappy at tactical shooting if competitioon will ruin their tactical shooting. Shooting ANY discipline that promotes safety, trigger control, marksmanship, shooting and moving, can't be a bad thing.

Last month at Tuesday Night Steel I was talking with Leatham about that very thing.

When it boils right down to it...have fun and shoot.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:08 PM   #7

Quote:
I know...I agree...I could have posted my reply better. Yes, classes DO exist for a reason, and I should have clarified that MY own choice in IDPA is strictly "shoot what I carry" as I consider IDPA the best competition around for self defense based shooting, that's why I really dig on our BUG only matches.

I shot IPSC when hi-tech was a beavertail...then "all the crap you can hang on your gun" came into vogue and I stopped for a LONG time. Similarly...I shoot USPSA (steel shooting) with my slick as hell Glock 17 with Aro Tek sights, Ghost Rocket, Mag Well, Wolff Springs, etc..etc..etc...BUT...I also shoot USPSA with a stock revolver in the summer, and in PRODUCTION CLASS once a month with my carry gun.

I am not whizzing on anyone's choice, just stating my own preference for ME and why I shoot IDPA.

Also, the guys who say that "competition will ruin your tactical shooting" etc...etc...are probably pretty crappy at tactical shooting if competitioon will ruin their tactical shooting. Shooting ANY discipline that promotes safety, trigger control, marksmanship, shooting and moving, can't be a bad thing.

Last month at Tuesday Night Steel I was talking with Leatham about that very thing.

When it boils right down to it...have fun and shoot.
You're talking about the Leatham that shoots for Springfield Arms? Watched his videos the other day. Man is dead on target.
I'm still finding info on IDPA, and getting set up for it when I get a new pistol. Steel sounds fun as well, but, similarly, it would be production only.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:10 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby View Post
You're talking about the Leatham that shoots for Springfield Arms? Watched his videos the other day. Man is dead on target.
I'm still finding info on IDPA, and getting set up for it when I get a new pistol. Steel sounds fun as well, but, similarly, it would be production only.
Yeah Rob Leatham. His home range is where I shoot on Tuesday nights. Rio Salado. I have shot with/against Rob for 20+ years. Of course, I have never BEAT Rob! I came close to him on ONE stage some years ago when I was having one of those "perfect nights" for me and he was recovering from double knee surgery...LOL. I was within 3 seconds of his time. I call it the best night I had, versus one of the worst he ever had...LOL.

He shoots LIMITED out there. XDm out of Safariland gear.

Rob is THE BEST.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Yeah Rob Leatham. His home range is where I shoot on Tuesday nights. Rio Salado. I have shot with/against Rob for 20+ years. Of course, I have never BEAT Rob! I came close to him on ONE stage some years ago when I was having one of those "perfect nights" for me and he was recovering from double knee surgery...LOL. I was within 3 seconds of his time. I call it the best night I had, versus one of the worst he ever had...LOL.

He shoots LIMITED out there. XDm out of Safariland gear.

Rob is THE BEST.
His videos, although they are 'sales pitches' are a hell of a lot less irritating than some of the others, so I wound up watching like ten of them last night on the XD(M).
Bad part is, he makes it look so easy.
And even coming close to beating him equates to being on hell of a good shot as far as I am concerned.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:39 PM   #10

Arizona, what is a 'bug only shoot'?