Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Competition Shooting (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f48/)
-   -   IDPA Safety Question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f48/idpa-safety-question-89718/)

danf_fl 04-28-2013 10:41 AM

IDPA Safety Question

I was out at the local range test firing some guns.

On another range, I observed an IDPA competition going on.

One course of fire had the shooter:
Start in a box with firearm loaded, on beep,
Engage 3 targets while walking from a box to a podium,
Change magazines at podium,
Engage 3 targets while walking backwards from the targets with cease fire when shooter got to second box.

In my years as IPSC and USPSA course designer, one rule was never to set up a course of fire where the shooter is walking backwards. The reasoning was that the shooter could trip and have a possible ND.

I understand the IDPA rules of "making the course of fire as realistic as possible within reason", but would walking backwards while engaging targets not be a safety consideration?

NobleEagle 05-10-2013 05:45 AM

There is a way to walk backwards tactically. The course should be set up where the ground is somewhat flat, but you're still walking on the balls of your feet. that is so if there is a small obstacles like a stick or two by four, you're actually stepping over it rather than on it and tripping. In addition, the person that is watching the shooter, is a esentially another set of eyes for safety. It is a very fun sport to do as well as watch.

danf_fl 05-11-2013 11:28 AM

Okay.
I just have a hard time trusting someone else to watch where I am moving to as I am firing.

After all, I am the one responsible for my movement and shooting.

bigjim 05-11-2013 12:47 PM

If I understand you correctly, the last part is engaging targets while retreating? Is this realistic, I would think so. You have to have an understanding of your surroundings and a plan of retreat, also foot work going forward or backward is essential for getting "hits" on target unless you plan to stay in one place and be a target yourself. Movement is essential for all stages in a IDPA match. Foot work in my opinion is just as important as keeping the front sight on target no mater if you are going forward, backward or side to side.

But this is just one opinion.
Jim

royabbott123 07-16-2013 05:41 AM

Re:IDPA Safety Question

Can someone guide me with the safety measures that we need to take during this competition.

Rick1967 07-16-2013 05:49 AM

The main safety rules are,

Treat every gun as if it is loaded.

Finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target

Keep your muzzle in a safe direction/Know your target and what is behind it.

Do not point a gun anything you are not willing to destroy.

I shoot IDPA on a regular basis. I have fired on targets while retreating many, many times. I have seen many, many other people doing it. I have never seen an accident while doing it.

nitestalker 07-16-2013 06:43 AM

Shooting combat games are incredible fun. In real life retreating under-fire or "Charging" in another direction may not be practical. But shooting and backing with an over heated 1911 is a kick. It seems to me Americans have lost so much over concerns for personal safety. After all the reason for handguns and combat training is, this is an unsafe world.:eek:

John_Deer 07-19-2013 01:27 AM

I see courses of fire where the shooter has to back up quite often in IDPA. Remember, IDPA courses are not meant to be physical. They are designed so senior citizens in good health can complete them. Usually if there is a car for cover you will have to shoot backing up and make shots from the back of the car in the prone position.