Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > Which for IDPA? More questions.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2011, 09:41 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
Not even for a day? NGIB has been very successful owning pistols for only a day.
Very true. As an active trader I keep an eye on what folks want. I really wanted the Tac Ops my buddy had and I knew I could get a trade together using the Glock as part of the package - hence I bought the 26 as it was priced right.

Over the years I've had a 19, 21, 23, 26, and 27 for short periods. I had the 21 the longest, probably 2 months as I really tried to "like" it but I just didn't shoot it well so it went away...

Last edited by NGIB; 04-02-2011 at 09:44 AM.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:17 PM   #12

Liked 123 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
While I do not shoot IDPA, I do know that it's focus is on a gun you'd carry every day. The scenarios they present are common defensive situations so long barrels and steel frames are not necessarily an advantage. My buddy Silentghost has shot a lot of IDPA matches and he used the Kimber Ultra Carry which was also the gun he carried every day (until I got it away from him). The goal as I see it is to improve your skill with your carry gun - so what kind of gun will you carry?

The other shooting venues like IPSC and USPSA tend to focus on more specialty types of guns and in many cases specialty loads as well. The one nice thing about IDPA is it focuses on the equipment you probably already have if you do carry a gun - like holsters, mag carriers, extra mags and so forth. If I were to start IDPA, I'd most likely use that same Kimber that served SG so well as it's the gun I carry and I have all the stuff for it already...

IDPA is a GAME. A game that makes great practice.

A M&PL with a trigger job is better than a pro. I'm running a G34 with some lone wolf and Warren tactical upgrades.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Last edited by willfully armed; 04-03-2011 at 02:30 PM.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:39 AM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

After talking with the guy that judges the matches I've decided to go with a CZ SP 01 Tactical. I'm on the hunt, but most places are out of order or way overpriced.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:31 PM   #14

Liked 123 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Some CZ's are not IDPA legal.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 04-03-2011, 11:17 PM   #15

The primise of IDPA may be to use your "carry gun" but go to one and try to find one person doing so(you wont).

I shoot a M&P9 compact and you would think I walked in there with 5 arms. Guys just cant figure out why I would shoot a compact.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:08 PM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
Some CZ's are not IDPA legal.
Which ones? How about the CZ SP 01 Tactical? I couldn't find any info out there??

Old 04-04-2011, 10:15 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Here's a link to the rules: http://idpa.com/Documents/IDPARuleBook2005.pdf.

They don't mention legal/illegal guns by model; they list things that a gun can and can't have (e.g., ported barrels). They also list minimum unit production of the gun and that it has to fit in a certain sized box.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 04-05-2011, 02:58 PM   #18

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb_carpenter View Post
The primise of IDPA may be to use your "carry gun" but go to one and try to find one person doing so(you wont).

I shoot a M&P9 compact and you would think I walked in there with 5 arms. Guys just cant figure out why I would shoot a compact.
Perhaps that is so where you are, not at the events in my area. Personally, I think it's kind of silly to shoot a defensive pistol scenario with a gun you don't carry...