idpa - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > idpa

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013, 02:23 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 186 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 501

IPSC/USPSA is, indeed, an equipment race, but, shoot in the class you want and don't worry what the Grand Masters shoot.
In IPSC/USPSA, time is everything! We have an old saying...'if you're shooting all A's, you're going too slow!'
In IDPA, one still needs to hurry, but accuracy is better. In either genre, 'you can't miss fast enough to win!'
Some facilities are better than others. Pick the ones you like and forget the rest.
As far as scary is concerned...do you mean unsafe?
You'll find that IPSC/USPSA matches are a little more laid back as far as the rules are concerned (not safety rules) while IDPA is a bit constipated with rules. With a little flexibility on your part, either one will provide a safe, fun way to shoot!
― The Rukh
"Ignorance is treatable - stupidity is terminal."
― The Rukh

Old 10-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #12

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I am in Ohio. I have the proper equipment. I have plenty of those. Im no stranger to shooting. Im just intrested in the training aspect. Dont wanna do it to try to outbuild someones supper gun. That and I just love to shoot. I dont have the room or money to set up the senarios they run. All the videos Ive seen look like it would be a lotta fun. To me it doesnt much matter long as I got rounds going down range Im having a good day. Safety is a must. I always take the propper steps to make sure no ones gets hurt. Thats one of the things the Marines drilled into my head. Thanks for all the input. The closest range invited to check it already so after I heal and the winter months. They dont shoot in the cold no more. I think I will give it a try.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:08 PM   #13

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

I've been interested for awhile now. It does look fun and looks like great training

Old 11-30-2013, 02:33 AM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've been thinking about trying it too I think my biggest hold up is just looking for someone who can kinda lead me and help me along the way.
"... I simply cannot stand by and watch a right guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States come under attack from those who either can't understand it, don't like the sound of it, or find themselves too philosophically squeamish to see why it remains the first among equals: Because it is the right we turn to when all else fails. That's why the Second Amendment is America's first freedom. ..."
Charlton Heston
Speech to National Press club
September, 1997

Old 11-30-2013, 05:51 AM   #15

Liked 420 Times on 244 Posts

I do IDPA here in Indiana about 5 or 6 times a year. I really enjoy it. I've met nice people along the way as well. It's good training. I use a Glock 34.

Old 11-30-2013, 02:55 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 186 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Default Try it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasperUSMC View Post
I am in Ohio. I have the proper equipment. I have plenty of those. Im no stranger to shooting. Im just intrested in the training aspect. Dont wanna do it to try to outbuild someones supper gun. That and I just love to shoot. I dont have the room or money to set up the senarios they run. All the videos Ive seen look like it would be a lotta fun. To me it doesnt much matter long as I got rounds going down range Im having a good day. Safety is a must. I always take the propper steps to make sure no ones gets hurt. Thats one of the things the Marines drilled into my head. Thanks for all the input. The closest range invited to check it already so after I heal and the winter months. They dont shoot in the cold no more. I think I will give it a try.
Please do give it a try! If you find yourself near the southeastern part of Ohio, let me know & we can go to Ft. Harmar, the birthplace of IDPA, also the birthplace of Combat Pistol shooting (precursor of IPSC) east of the Mississippi. I am teaching practical pistol shooting to a retired iron worker now and also working with students in a shooting club from Marietta College & Ohio University. You are welcome to PM me and come along to one of our IDPA outings next spring. Hope you get to shooting where ever you can!
― The Rukh
"Ignorance is treatable - stupidity is terminal."
― The Rukh

Old 12-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #17

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I stay on the opposite side of the state. I am intrested though. Anyone else who wants to try it out if u r from ohio hit me up. Maybe we could get statrted together

Old 12-04-2013, 01:03 AM   #18

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I had a hard time getting started in IDPA on my own. Everywhere I went on my own I had bad experiences. Then I finally showed up at a place where people I have known and shot with in the past were competing. I have had a blast at that given range. What is weird is people who have given me grief at other ranges act like they are my best friend at this range. They say forgive and forget but it is going to take some time before I can forget.

When you are first starting out if someone gives you grief for no good reason don't return to that range no matter how nice the facility might be.

I have shot in a lot of skeet competitions and I never caught any grief from anyone, even when I was a green competitor. You just have a better class of people at shotgun ranges.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:06 PM   #19

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

Me running around look'in like an idiot is what I feared most but them I remembered my poor shooting should be the 1st on my embarrassment level

Old 12-05-2013, 04:29 AM   #20

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Hey Casper, I live right on the Ohio-WV border. If you're ever over in the Huntington area shoot me a pm and we'll do some shooting.