Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > How "realistically" should I compete?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2011, 05:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default How "realistically" should I compete?

For the sake of speed, I have the option of leaving my holster unstapped and I can tuck the retention straps of my speedloader pouches away. I'd imagine in a 6-reload course, these things might save me 3 seconds or so. I will be competing just for fun and for weapon-handling practice, and not just for score. I won't be investing in any kinds of ghost-holsters or anything like that. However, I was just wondering what your opinions are as far as the above goes. Finishing a bit higher up in the running might do a bit for my pride, but if my main goal is decent quality "training," should I just suck it up and use the retention straps?

My main concern is simply developing (too many) unrealistic muscle memories. Obviously, in a serious situation if I didn't have the loaders or weapon strapped in place, I'd be a dive away from losing half my gear. Do you think I would be okay competing with my gear in "game mode" (no straps), and then simply training with the straps at home, or do you think I should continually develop only those realistic movements (popping the retention straps) in competition, so my subconscious gets used to those motions under simulated stress?

I guess another way to ask would be, how easily can one develop poor muscle habits from games (so not including things like reloading without moving, not using cover, etc), and how hard would it be to break those habits if they are made?

I've done the motion of retrieving a speedloader from under a fastened retention strap probably over 1000 times, so it is pretty second-nature. Do you think I would hinder my real-world performance by eliminating these straps during games?

Thanks guys.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-03-2011, 06:05 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5121 Times on 2667 Posts
Likes Given: 310

You fight like you practice. If thepoint of competition for you is a psuedo realistic training experience i think you already know the answer

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-03-2011, 08:04 PM   #3

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Train as you will fight. Fight as you were trained.

Your main goal is to be able to pull that gun, be on point stance and ready, to access your target and shoot.

Do this as quickly, smoothly and flawlessly as possible. Do this until it becomes all one fluid motion and a just a natural gross memory muscle motor skill.

Then train on it some more.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-04-2011, 12:47 AM   #4

Liked 1641 Times on 926 Posts
Likes Given: 1093

I use my competition gun exactly the same way I carry it.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:19 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Good enough for me . Retention straps it is!

Thanks guys.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:06 AM   #6

You should do what makes you happy. I like to game my IDPA matches but thats not for everyone.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:18 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I agree if it is for practice and fun then have it like you'd use it.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:51 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Shoot the way you are most comfortable.

27 Words keep us "free"