Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Competition Shooting (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f48/)
-   -   How "realistically" should I compete? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f48/how-realistically-should-i-compete-46206/)

Lindenwood 08-03-2011 05:43 PM

How "realistically" should I compete?

For the sake of speed, I have the option of leaving my holster unstapped and I can tuck the retention straps of my speedloader pouches away. I'd imagine in a 6-reload course, these things might save me 3 seconds or so. I will be competing just for fun and for weapon-handling practice, and not just for score. I won't be investing in any kinds of ghost-holsters or anything like that. However, I was just wondering what your opinions are as far as the above goes. Finishing a bit higher up in the running might do a bit for my pride, but if my main goal is decent quality "training," should I just suck it up and use the retention straps?

My main concern is simply developing (too many) unrealistic muscle memories. Obviously, in a serious situation if I didn't have the loaders or weapon strapped in place, I'd be a dive away from losing half my gear. Do you think I would be okay competing with my gear in "game mode" (no straps), and then simply training with the straps at home, or do you think I should continually develop only those realistic movements (popping the retention straps) in competition, so my subconscious gets used to those motions under simulated stress?

I guess another way to ask would be, how easily can one develop poor muscle habits from games (so not including things like reloading without moving, not using cover, etc), and how hard would it be to break those habits if they are made?

I've done the motion of retrieving a speedloader from under a fastened retention strap probably over 1000 times, so it is pretty second-nature. Do you think I would hinder my real-world performance by eliminating these straps during games?

Thanks guys.

JonM 08-03-2011 06:05 PM

You fight like you practice. If thepoint of competition for you is a psuedo realistic training experience i think you already know the answer

IGETEVEN 08-03-2011 08:04 PM

Train as you will fight. Fight as you were trained.

Your main goal is to be able to pull that gun, be on point stance and ready, to access your target and shoot.

Do this as quickly, smoothly and flawlessly as possible. Do this until it becomes all one fluid motion and a just a natural gross memory muscle motor skill.

Then train on it some more. :cool:

Rick1967 08-04-2011 12:47 AM

I use my competition gun exactly the same way I carry it.

Lindenwood 08-04-2011 02:19 AM

Good enough for me :) . Retention straps it is!

Thanks guys.

bongsao1 08-04-2011 04:06 AM

You should do what makes you happy. I like to game my IDPA matches but thats not for everyone.

MrGrumpy89 08-04-2011 08:18 PM

I agree if it is for practice and fun then have it like you'd use it.

Glockanista 08-09-2011 06:51 PM

Shoot the way you are most comfortable.