Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > how often to practice for casual competition

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 01:34 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
Figures you'd call me on that one

local competitions with limited prizes, more fun than anything else... as opposed to regional competitions where 99 bullseyes are the norm, or the national competitions where 100 bullets have to go through the same hole
I knew what you were talkin' about, just pullin' your chain part2.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-18-2012, 01:46 AM   #12

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
It's not as much about cost as time Club range is free, but only open on the weekend.
its both lack of time ,25 mile drive (to the close one) 16 cent a target for trap plus shells or to shoot sporting 60 to 80 mile drive 30 to 45 cent a target 10.00 cart rental unless i tow mine . and at least most of a sat or sun then you have to listen to the wife .why aint the grass cut or the garage cleaned out , weeds in the flower bed ect ect oh ya and the bushes need trimming . well hers aint eather so i think im shooting this weekend.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:02 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 739 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydewar View Post
well hers aint eather so i think im shooting this weekend.
ok then, enjoy the shooting

Old 04-18-2012, 08:40 AM   #14

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Try an air pistol.It'll more than likely improve your scores a little.They have a way of forcing you to buckle down on some key elements.Get the proper slow fire NRA targets.Keep your score.....you'll see it ramp up,mainly because of muscle memory.But also because you're really concentrating.....then scores will level off.

Once they plateau,you'll be tempted to just quit or think thats as good as it gets.I still use this getting ready for hunting.IOWs,I know where my scores "should" be.....it takes a few days of practice to get them back up there.But in anycase....once scores level off,you're going to come to a crossroads of sorts.Your decisions on which direction to go(continue to improve vs being satisfied),can be alot of fun.

Any decent single shot airgun will work.My favorite is a 50 yo Benjamin.....shooting cheap pellets.So it dosen't have to cost an arm N a leg.You can shoot indoors.....a fireplace with a bullet trap inside makes a dandy backstop.You'll be amazed at how much better a pistol shot you'll become.Shopdog

Old 04-18-2012, 02:21 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 739 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Shopdog,

I have noticed my cheap airpistol having an impact, especially on trigger control. Two weeks ago, before the weekly plate shoot, While waiting for SWMBO to get home from work, I shot a few magazines with the airpistol. First round that night, went against one of the clubs better shooters, and we tied. Reshoot, I got a little too anxious and lost. Through luck of the draw, I was scheduled to shoot against him in the losers round, when the compitetion got cancelled

Old 04-22-2012, 04:33 PM   #16

Does anyone know how shooting an air pistol stacks against dry firing? I have been tempted to get an air pistol. I dry fire with A Zoom now.

" No one ever won a war by dying for his country, wars are won by making the other dumb bastard die fir his" Gen. Patton

Old 04-23-2012, 11:53 AM   #17

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 16

For me,its the brrl time.

Pellets are relatively slow......my Benjamin has a longish brrl.The brrl time forces me to maintain sight picture.......reckon you could call it follow through?Dry fire,and am very responsible/dedicated to it,works more on the initial sight pic and trigger control.Yes I try to maintain sight pic as hammer drops...it just shows up more(if I don't)when shooting air gun.

And I don't plink with the airgun....its paper targets,keeping score....or it dosn't get shot.Shopnut