How do you do that? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > How do you do that?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2012, 08:43 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

image-1395761662.jpg

300 win mag group, it just takes lots of practice and a good rifle platform
KG7IL Likes This 
Old 03-13-2012, 02:45 AM   #12

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4Sunrise View Post
First of all thanks for the feedback, I would say that the biggest factor is most likely the shooter in my case. I say that because at 50 yds I am easily able to get 1" group, so you'd think if I were consistent I would be able to get 2" at 100. I am now planning to buy a another rifle such as a 22 to simply practice shooting, as somewhere between 30 and 40 rounds with the 7mm RM, I generally have had enough. I have tried a few different types of ammo, it seems that Hornady boat tails shoot the best, either 154 gr or 162 gr - BTs.

I go to the range about once a month, so I'll update the post and let you know.
buy yourself a .22 and let the 7mm set for now after about a 1000 rds of .22 practising not just blazing away(call your shots) try the big gun and check the easy stuff what kind of sights?hate to sound like a smart azz but you did not say if your scoped or iron sights need glasses?

Old 03-13-2012, 02:50 AM   #13

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 90

yes you did sorry go with the .22 and let someone else look over your setup just cause it just came from basspro ect dont mean its right

Old 03-13-2012, 03:21 AM   #14

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Make sure you time your shots. Keep the barrel temperture down. A hot barrel will often cause flyers.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #15

Liked 1151 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 2041

get comfortable also , I find that I shoot better prone " laying on my belly " w/ bipod than shooting off of a bench with a bipod , dont ask me why thats just how I shoot better and its comfortable for me . If your shooting off of a bench make sure your seat isnt too high or too low . I find my steadiest position prone , toes out , on elbows , left arm under stock resting on my right bicep. Different strokes for different folks though

Old 03-13-2012, 06:21 PM   #16
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2873 Times on 1579 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Get a book on proper shooting technique. There might be some good videos on Utube. Breathing and trigger control are critical.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:41 PM   #17

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a .22 setup like my high power rifle., and shoot 4x the rounds through it. .22lr is a great practice medium, cuts costs, and lots of walking too.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:38 PM   #18

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Sounds to me that it is a combination of bad technique and too much rifle for you to learn from.

The best way to learn is having a good teacher teach you. When i had no one to teach me, I watched videos on YouTube.

This guy knows what he is talking about.

Watch all the videos of his that you can, then try to imitate it.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:48 PM   #19

Liked 30 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I use my .22lr (Savage) with a cheap Bushnell to train for long range shooting. It will shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards all day with good wind and me doing what I need to do. Proper breathing technique and trigger pull are essential. I agree with you getting a .22lr to learn the fundamentals. Mine is zeroed at 100 yards and is a great practice tool. All of the techniques you learn on the .22 will transfer to any other rifle, it will cost less to learn too.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:45 PM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10551 Times on 4557 Posts
Likes Given: 1696

Sunrise, the 7mm Mag, in a bolt action, from a benchrest, is going to have a LOT of recoil. Frankly, you may be dreading that firing pin dropping, and flinching.

Have someone coach you- load your rifle with an empty mixed in with live amm at random spacing. If you flinch it will be apparent when the empty CLICKS and you jerk.

A good recoil pad will help. Also try something that does not cause PAIN when it goes bang. I shoot a moderate amount of heavy rifles- but use a Lead Sled when zeroing a scope from the bench.

Newest Threads