Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > How do you do that?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default How do you do that?

My questions is how exactly does someone get a 1" group at 100 yds? I have a browning X-bolt in 7mm mag, a 4.5x14-44 Zeiss Scope and in general at the range I am able to get 100 yd groups at 3" if I really concentrate, but it is very easy to let a shot go astray. My best technique is to use sandbags to support my forearm, hold the rifle tight against my shoulder and squeeze the trigger with the tip of my finger. At 100yds it is very difficult for me to say that I am even aiming at a point within a 1/2" radius each time, so it seems to me without some device that actually holds the aim true for each shot, it would nearly physically impossible to place 3 shots within a 1" diameter.
So I'm just wondering, I see a lost of posts from guys claiming sub moa groups, especially with a rifle like a 7mm mag or larger are they using some sort of aid?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-12-2012, 01:36 PM   #2

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I sighted my 308 in using a Caldwell Lead Sled. Holds the rifle very steady and absorbs a lot of recoil. I can shoot sub MOA at 100y using this setup. In the field, this rifle is crazy accurate. Your 7mag should do much better than 3" at 100y. Lots of variables come into play. Could be the gun, ammo, or shooter.

Winchester 100 .243; Marlin XS7 .308; Stevens 200 .223; Rossi 92 .45LC; Marlin 1894C .357M; Marlin 30AS .30-30; NEF Pardner Pump 12ga; Mossberg 500 Turkey 20ga; Winchester 1200 20ga; Savage Mark II F .22LR; Henry H001 .22LR; Marlin 60SB .22LR; Ruger 10/22 DSP .22LR; Browning SA-22 .22LR; Savage 93R17 GV .17HMR; Remington Genesis .50 cal ML; Ruger SR1911 .45ACP; Ruger Vaquero .45LC; Ruger Blackhawk .357M; Ruger SR9c 9mm; Ruger Single-Six .22LR; Browning Buck Mark Camper .22LR

Old 03-12-2012, 01:40 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

7mm Rem. Mag's. excel at long ranges like 400, 500 and even 600 yards. It's a very flat shooting round. At close ranges like 100 yards, my old Savage 116 with the factory Burris 3-9X40 scope on it, off of a Harris Bipod prints little cloverleaf shaped groups all touching each other using 160 grain bullets. I don't really have to do anything special, the gun does it all. I will say that the Savage has a crisp 3 lb. trigger pull that breaks like glass with no overtravel. I didn't do anything to it, it just came that way. I will agree with you, it has a healthy recoil on it, but it is amazingly accuarate despite that. Even at 200 yards, it is around 1" in its grouping.

Last edited by Snakedriver; 03-12-2012 at 01:43 PM.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:50 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 987 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 1779

practice practice practice is what I say . However you might try different ammo also , different weights and different manufacturers all shoot differently
I shoot sub 1" @ 100yd groups with my savage .223 with cheapo remington UMCs.
Set up a video camera while your shooting and make sure your not flinching , or pulling the trigger instead of squeezing . 7mm has alot of kick and some tend to tense up on the squeeze . Control your breathing . I dont squeeze the trigger until Im calm and my heart rate is low , I try to shoot at the end of my exhale and in between heartbeats but I dont always accomplish that , its tough to do that without alot of practice, and I try to practice it with a snap cap in dry firing on the bipod in my garage on my shooting table . I dont know if you can see it or not with a 14X but at 24X you can see your heart beat making the scope move .
Buy a couple snap caps and practice alot

Old 03-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #5

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Like others stated....practice and practice some more. Try a 22lr at 50y to sharpen your skills. Easier on the shoulder and the wallet.

Winchester 100 .243; Marlin XS7 .308; Stevens 200 .223; Rossi 92 .45LC; Marlin 1894C .357M; Marlin 30AS .30-30; NEF Pardner Pump 12ga; Mossberg 500 Turkey 20ga; Winchester 1200 20ga; Savage Mark II F .22LR; Henry H001 .22LR; Marlin 60SB .22LR; Ruger 10/22 DSP .22LR; Browning SA-22 .22LR; Savage 93R17 GV .17HMR; Remington Genesis .50 cal ML; Ruger SR1911 .45ACP; Ruger Vaquero .45LC; Ruger Blackhawk .357M; Ruger SR9c 9mm; Ruger Single-Six .22LR; Browning Buck Mark Camper .22LR

Old 03-12-2012, 02:33 PM   #6

Liked 629 Times on 408 Posts
Likes Given: 207

Most rifles are not capable of 1" groups at 100 yards. Look at rifles tests many shoot larger than 1" and that is with VERY experienced shooters. Yes many rifles can shoot good but many can not. Also shooting small groups often means a lot of practice. Don't blame the gun until you have an experienced shooter try it first. Some guns are particular about what ammo they shoot. So try different ammo. Scopes/mounts can cause larger groups. There are many many variables in precision shooting. Shooter, ammo, gun, sights, and range conditions play a role in putting the hole in the right place.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:38 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1455 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 1209

Here are some things to try:

Different ammunition to determine if there is something your rifle ‘likes’ better.
If so, it’s the ammo.

Different shooter to determine if there is someone your rifle ‘likes’ better.
If so, it’s you.

Different rifle to determine if there is another rifle you like better.
If so, it’s the rifle.

KG7IL Likes This 
Old 03-12-2012, 05:52 PM   #8

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

One thing stands out on what you said about aiming.
Quote: At 100yds it is very difficult for me to say that I am even aiming at a point within a 1/2" radius each time

With the magnification you have available on your scope you should be able to pick out any particular spot on the target you want. Make sure you shoot to that spot for each shot. You may be changint point of aim to bullet hole from a previous shot and shooting at the point of impact as opposed to the point of aim you are trying to achieve.

If shooting from a rest you should achieve at least close to 1 moa. 1.5 isn't bad, but a 3" group is pretty large if you are aiming and firing correctly.

Make sure the stock is on the front rest you are using. Do not rest the barrel on anything. use your firing hand to only keep the cheek weld where you want it and to press the trigger. Use your off side hand to keep the rifle against your shoulder and to make elevation and windage movements to get the reticle on target. Breathe normally, and exhale slowly when making the shot. Only take the shot when you have the reticle exactly where you want it. You cannot make adjustments or assumptions as to problems unless you are doing that. Good luck.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 03-12-2012, 08:24 PM   #9

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts

Practice...I just shot a 5 shot .308 group at 100 yards that is probably around a .8". I haven't measured with a caliper. First time out with any bolt gun I shot a .684" 5 shot group with my previous Remington in .223.

I've only shot a bolt action 4 times in my life so i'm still new to this. I find any little bit of anticpation, breathing, etc. can really throw the shot off.

I shot these groups off the bench with the bipod extended, no bags or rests.

What do I shoot with? Canon gear of course

Last edited by jamesb; 03-12-2012 at 08:31 PM.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:42 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

First of all thanks for the feedback, I would say that the biggest factor is most likely the shooter in my case. I say that because at 50 yds I am easily able to get 1" group, so you'd think if I were consistent I would be able to get 2" at 100. I am now planning to buy a another rifle such as a 22 to simply practice shooting, as somewhere between 30 and 40 rounds with the 7mm RM, I generally have had enough. I have tried a few different types of ammo, it seems that Hornady boat tails shoot the best, either 154 gr or 162 gr - BTs.

I go to the range about once a month, so I'll update the post and let you know.