Gun for IDPA - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > Gun for IDPA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2009, 12:29 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKimber View Post

That is a list of organizations and groups that at one time may have used the Sigs, but no longer, including SEAL teams and others still do. As I stated before, yes SEALs used Sigs at one time, late 80's, but they do not use them anymore, the same with SOF teams. My issued side arm was a Berretta 92F, 9mm, but I preferred and carried a Colt 1911, with extra mags and what ever else I wanted to use and what the weapons Sargent had to issue out at the time.

The HK MK 23 pistols were developed specifically for the US Special Operations Command (USSOCOM), the organization that directs the activities of America's most elite military units, including the Navy SEALs and the Army Special Forces. May 1, 1996, the first HK MK 23 pistols were delivered to the US Special Operations Command for operational deployment, making the MK 23 the first .45 ACP pistol to enter American military service since the venerable Government Model 1911A1. They are still the issued sidearms at present.

Now, that cleared up, getting back to IDPA competition use, both the Sig226 and the HK MK 23 pistils would be excellent choices for IDPA competition shoots, if desired. Now I will admit that the Sig's have a slightly better clear edge in ergonomics, grip and trigger pull for some than the HK's but that is personal preference and individual hand feel. Both are very well made pieces and both are over priced IMO, but consider them both equally accurate and reliability as far as I am concerned.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 10-01-2009, 02:22 AM   #32

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

To chime in late in the game......

I believe there is no better platform for this sport than a Glock. Simple, reliable, not finicky with ammo.

I'm currently shooting as a sharpshooter SSP, but will likely reclassify as a master.

I've tried lots of my guns, HK USP 4", Taurus 92AFS, Glock 20, Glock 17, Kimber stainless target 10mm, Taurus 24/7, Springfield 1911 .45, and so on.

I've settled on, and shoot best with my G20. I roll my own 155gr FP's over IMR 4756 and Unique.

All of our best shooters run Glocks. Proof enough.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 10-02-2009, 01:08 AM   #33

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Y'all flat crack me up! Just get a Glock 17 and be done with it. It's what everyone all over the world should be carrying in peace, or at war.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:53 AM   #34

Liked 205 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Nbig

I'm an old coot also, but shoot IDPA for fun. There are three classes, SSP, ESP and I beleive it's CDP.

The class you shoot will depend on the type of gun you use the reg's can be found at IDPA.com at the bottom of the page "2005 Rule Book".

DON't get a glock or XD they will lock you into one class that you can shoot in. The other issue is power factor and min is 9 mm. Most people shoot 9mm's in IDPA some 40's and some 45's, but mostly 9mm.

Expect to expend 120 rounds per match and spend 3 hours on your feet. Mine are feeling the effects of my age.

Any good 9mm will do, just make sure you have 3 mags and a 2 mag holder for your belt, that it has a manual safety, a good size mag well, and will hold at least 11 rounds. You are limited to 10 rounds per mag except for your first mag you can have 10 plus one in the chamber (that's why I said 11). You will need a concelment holster OWB or IWB will do, but no comp holsters anything you would use for CCW and a vest or jacket. The weapon must be fully covered at time of draw.

I use a PT92 or my Baretta PX4 Storm for 9 mm and just picked up a FNP-40 for shooting 40 S&W in the matches.

Good luck and have fun.
Jim

Last edited by bigjim; 10-29-2009 at 05:04 AM.

Old 12-19-2009, 04:44 AM   #35

Default Sti 1911

Check out the STI 1911 web sight! I have one in 45 and they also have them in 9mm. I have won two league comps both 1st place.I shot all 10 weeks in the high 50's out of possible 60 ). Just a thought. I tried to get a kimber grand rapter and 8 months later said for get it! Had the STI in my hand in less than 2 weeks after ordering it!! Also the rock island 45 or 9mm 1911 by armscore is made by kahr now and very accurate! Its under $400 bucks ( when I got it back in August 09 ). It groups within 1 1/2 in at 50 ft! easy! Or all in the black ring on a B2 target. All in the 9- 10 ring. Its smooth and not much recoil as a M&P 9 . The smith & wesson M&P is also very accurate too fyi. The nice thing about it is that it holds 12 and 1 ! vrs 1911 @ 7 and 1!
I still prefer to pack my rock island 45 though. Kinda like the difference between a switch and a baseball bat LOL.

Old 12-21-2009, 03:38 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Nothing says I SUCK and can't shoot with the big boys like a Glock.

I am just saying.

JD
you listen here mall ninjette! Glocks are awesome shooting guns! Why don't you go put another coat of polish on that 1911 before you put it to bed on it's embroidered terry cloth towel. Mean while, we'll just throw more cheap ammo down the G spot and get the same results... muh... I might clean it one day.

HA!

Old 12-21-2009, 11:44 PM   #37

I was just joshin buddy...

Old 12-22-2009, 05:31 AM   #38

Default thats ok..

Thats ok, my favorite target shooter for rimfire is PURPLE! and has won me three in a row This one was before I re did the trigger and put the center point on it. The target was done with blazers at 50ft.