Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > Gun for IDPA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2009, 03:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Default Gun for IDPA

My local pin shoot group sponsors regular IDPA matches and I'm toying with giving it a go. As I burn a lot of .45 on other shoots, I'm toying with picking up a nice 9mm for IDPA. Traded away my last 9mm a while ago but just looked and I have nearly 800 rounds of it tucked away.

OK IDPA folks - what's a good one for this type of match? I know different guns go into different classes - and I want to be in the "newbie, I probably suck" class...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-24-2009, 03:56 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

GLOCK 17, 19, or 34

Springfield XD

Smith and Wesson M&P.

Any of those should put you in the Stock Service Pistol category.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:02 PM   #3

Could I use a P99 in Stock Service Pistol?

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
- Napoleon Bonaparte

Old 09-24-2009, 04:20 PM   #4

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_sxt View Post
GLOCK 17, 19, or 34

Springfield XD

Smith and Wesson M&P.

Any of those should put you in the Stock Service Pistol category.

Affirmative, excellent choices, maybe a Para Ordnance SSP 1911 9MM also, and yea, even them Glocks.

Jack the Man

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 09-24-2009, 04:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
My local pin shoot group sponsors regular IDPA matches and I'm toying with giving it a go. As I burn a lot of .45 on other shoots, I'm toying with picking up a nice 9mm for IDPA. Traded away my last 9mm a while ago but just looked and I have nearly 800 rounds of it tucked away.

OK IDPA folks - what's a good one for this type of match? I know different guns go into different classes - and I want to be in the "newbie, I probably suck" class...
if you look on the idpa website, they have a list of qualified pistols for each division. there is also a rule that the pistol must fit "in the box" and lists dimensions of what the box is. you can draw a box on paper to see if the pistol will fit, and as long as it adheres to the other rules, your good to go.

the newbie sucks catagory is stock service pistol- basically use whatever comes off the shelf within the size limit and shot capacity

Old 09-25-2009, 01:57 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I too like to shoot in IDPA. Depending on how you approach it, IDPA is good competition or basic defensive gun training. Either way it is fun and you can meet some wonderful (and some not so wonderful) people.
The CDP division is the domain of the 45 ACP, mostly 1911's. That is my favorite gun and the division I like to shoot in the most. That said, 45 ACP ammo has gone up in price and finding it in stock can seem like an Easter egg hunt. Like you I have turned more and more to the 9mm for competition (actually I have no issues with the 9mm for personal defense, but that's another topic). Getting back on track, I shoot a 9mm 1911 in the ESP division. Some shooters refer to the 9mm 1911 as a "cheaters gun"! The mass of a 1911 turns a 9mm into a soft shooter. With practice, you can turn yourself into a fast and accurate shooter. For even more practice you can change your 45 out with a 22 conversion kit and practice for a fraction of the price of a 45, or even a 9mm, session.
I guess what I'm trying to say is, look at a 9mm 1911. Smith & Wesson and Springfield Armory both make a good quality gun (I think Kimber is still making one also). If your budget will stand it, I think a lot of Nighthawk Custom and Wilson Combat.
9mm and 45 ACP 1911. Two guns, two divisions, one set of carry gear, no muscle retraining - sounds like a winner to me.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 09-26-2009, 12:53 AM   #7

1st choice;
Get a 1911 in 9mm, all the ben's of a 1911 with cheaper easier to shoot 9mm ammo.

2nd;
SIG 226, the Navy SEALS know a good "service" gun when they shoot it!

Old 09-26-2009, 02:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1911 View Post
1st choice;
Get a 1911 in 9mm, all the ben's of a 1911 with cheaper easier to shoot 9mm ammo.

2nd;
SIG 226, the Navy SEALS know a good "service" gun when they shoot it!
Not sure where you heard this about the Navy SEALs, but most of them carry HK USP tactical for their sidearm. The MP5N was the 9mm weapon of choice.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:44 PM   #9

Are you serious or just joking?

I'm sure you could do a simple web search to verify that the SEALs have used the SIG and that they are still in service, but here's a little qoute from THEIR own website,.........

NavySEALS.com;
The M11 Sig Sauer P-228 was introduced in 1989. It is a compact version of the Sig P-226, just 7.1 inches long and only 1.5 inches wide. The Navy SEALs and Special Boat Teams consider it a favorite, and use it as their standard carry pistol as it is small, light, durable, accurate and easy to conceal. The M11 is a recoil-operated, semi-automatic pistol that fires a 9mm NATO round in both single- and double-action modes from a 13-round magazine.

In 2004, SIGARMS of Exeter, NH released a limited edition of specially serialized P-226 pistols produced to the exact same specifications as those which have been the official sidearm of the Navy SEALs since 1986. Designated SIG P226-9-NAVY, this unique version includes special phosphate corrosion-resistant finish on internal parts, contrast sights, a slide engraved with an anchor to designate them as Naval Special Warfare pistols, a unique serial # starting with NSW 0001, and certificate of authenticity.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:48 PM   #10

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1911 View Post
Are you serious or just joking?

I'm sure you could do a simple web search to verify that the SEALs have used the SIG and that they are still in service, but here's a little qoute from THEIR own website,.........

NavySEALS.com;
Are you serious or just joking? That is a freaking mall ninja website and it has nothing to do with the SEALs at all...