Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > grain count?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2012, 12:13 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default grain count?

What's better for target shooting a higher or lower grain count?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-29-2012, 12:37 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Looking forward to hearing responses on this myself. I'm going to guess it's a combination of 1) what your particular firearm seems to shoot well and 2) what's inexpensive enough to support doing it more (I.e. more opportunity to practice and get better.)

Old 03-29-2012, 12:50 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2206 Times on 1134 Posts
Likes Given: 196

Grains of what? Powder? Bullet?
Caliber?
Rifle? Rate of twist in your barrel?
Pistol?
Discipline? i.e. What are you shooting at? Rapid fire? Slow?

NRA Life Member

"Why can't I just eat my waffle?" B. H. Obama. (Sort of representative of his whole tenure, when you think about it.)

Last edited by Overkill0084; 03-29-2012 at 12:53 AM.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:53 AM   #4

Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 15

You had me confused for a second as to what you were asking lol. Bullet weight for punching paper? What ever is cheap but when using my carry weapon I always use the same grain bullet that I carry.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:07 AM   #5

Just in general LOL nothing specific just something that's been in the back of my mind for a while so I thought I'd ask

Old 03-29-2012, 02:54 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2281 Times on 1196 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Rifle; tactical, benchrest, D-class, long range? Handgun; IPSC, IDPA, SASS, Bianchi Cup, PPC, metallic sillouette?

More questions than answers at this point.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-29-2012, 04:18 AM   #7
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7402 Times on 4277 Posts
Likes Given: 9527

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Rifle; tactical, benchrest, D-class, long range? Handgun; IPSC, IDPA, SASS, Bianchi Cup, PPC, metallic sillouette?

More questions than answers at this point.
Like he said

At 100 yards 45gr Hornady V-Max with H-335 powder (charge is not gonna be revealed, but it is within the recommendations in the Hornady manual) in a Savage model 12. If I go heavier or lighter the groups open up considerably. 60 grains and you might as well use a slingshot.

Each and every individual firearm will "like" something different. Even the particular powder will vary from one gun to the next. I know a guy who does bench-rest and he will adjust his loads from one lot of powder to the next. He had been using a secret stash of powder for years until it started getting hinky on him (he said it was from a stash in Arizona left over from WW2). Presumably that was dead-on consistent for decades.

So, it all depends on virtually everything. Not such a simple question. If you are not going to start reloading then I would recommend you bu a box of all of the different weights that you can find and do some testing. You will find that your gun "likes" a certain brand and a certain weight.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #8

Liked 341 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I think the OP is asking about bullet weight. And every gun likes to shoot a specific weight of bullet. You need to get a bunch of different ammo and experiment for yourself. It might even come down to how big you are and how hard you hold the gun. The bottom line about bullet weight in pistols is to do your own experiments.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2206 Times on 1134 Posts
Likes Given: 196

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Tire View Post
I think the OP is asking about bullet weight. And every gun likes to shoot a specific weight of bullet. You need to get a bunch of different ammo and experiment for yourself. It might even come down to how big you are and how hard you hold the gun. The bottom line about bullet weight in pistols is to do your own experiments.
I'm sure you're right.
However knowing what caliber and type of gun would go a long way to helping everyone answer the question. We are presuming that he means handguns, but I can't really be sure.
I prefer heavy for (handgun) caliber bullets for most uses, but what do I know? If one's needs are precise enough to care, it will eventually boil down to what your particular gun works with the best (as previously noted).
Every gun is different and sometimes they will surprise you.

My XD40SC shoots particularly bad with Wal-Mart Federal 180s. WWB 180 gr is dramatically better. Cast reloads work better still.
My CZ doesn't seem to care what it's fed. El Cheapo 115 gr ammo or 147 cast reloads, it will shoot the all reliably and accurately.
My standard .45 acp cast load shoots accurately in all my guns. Of the factory stuff I've used, the Wal-mart Federal 230 gr was less than inspiring in my Springfield. The Witness liked it.
Buy some ammo and some sandbag rests and test your gun and see what works best.
NRA Life Member

"Why can't I just eat my waffle?" B. H. Obama. (Sort of representative of his whole tenure, when you think about it.)

Old 03-30-2012, 02:26 AM   #10

Ruger p95 9mm is wat I own so far but I Just put a down payment on a m&p 15 .22