Getting started in IDPA

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > Getting started in IDPA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2009, 02:10 AM   #1
THT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Getting started in IDPA

So I've decided that I'd like to start competitive shooting. I'm considering starting with IDPA as it focuses on developing the shooter rather than favoring who has the best gear. Anyone have any suggestions or tips for an IDPA newbie? Will probably go to my first match in a few weeks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-23-2009, 12:34 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by THT View Post
So I've decided that I'd like to start competitive shooting. I'm considering starting with IDPA as it focuses on developing the shooter rather than favoring who has the best gear. Anyone have any suggestions or tips for an IDPA newbie? Will probably go to my first match in a few weeks.
First go here.

http://www.idpa.com/clublist.asp?state=IL

This will give you the clubs in your State.

You will only be allowed to shoot a club level match, once, without being a member of IDPA.

Use the equipment that you have. A holster needs to cover the trigger guard, a double mag pouch - assuming an auto - 3 mags minimum and a vest that will conceal the gun and holster when your arms are outstreached to the side.

Also, consider your Power Floor, 125 for minor (9mm and 38Sp) and 165 for major.

Download and read the rule book.

Have fun.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:26 PM   #3

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RePete View Post
First go here.

International Defensive Pistol Association - Affiliated Club Contact Information

This will give you the clubs in your State.

You will only be allowed to shoot a club level match, once, without being a member of IDPA.

Use the equipment that you have. A holster needs to cover the trigger guard, a double mag pouch - assuming an auto - 3 mags minimum and a vest that will conceal the gun and holster when your arms are outstreached to the side.

Also, consider your Power Floor, 125 for minor (9mm and 38Sp) and 165 for major.

Download and read the rule book.

Have fun.

doesnt have to be a vest, a cover garment, includes shirts.

I shot 6 club level matches before joining.

And for the OP, powerfloor is set out there for the handloaders, it is a sum of feet per second multiplied by bullet weight in grains. Most commercial loads will surpass the minimum.

I was shooting Sinterfire frangible 90 gr +p 9mm for a while. Lots of the guys complained that it might not meet minimum. Factory loaded at 1440 fps.

So, 1440 fps x 90 gr= 129600 129600/1000= 129.6

Gives it a 129.6 power factor.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:11 AM   #4

Default Start with drills

Definitely find some drills to get acclimated to what they do - there are IDPA and IPSC drills online.

PDF to download:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/HandgunDrills.pdf

Site to search:

Search for Drills