First time shotgun comp
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > First time shotgun comp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2009, 10:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default First time shotgun comp

Here's the wash-up of the weekend shotgun event...first attempt. Used basic 12 gauge with 28 grain ammo. Man I gotta say it was a definite challenge. Real enjoyable though (even if kinda frustrating!)

So unlike rifle shooting...and dammit its hard to get out of the habit, heh. I kept trying to aim instead of point-and-shoot. One guy said to me "You shoot rifle don't you...I can tell because you're aiming" lol

Leading was a also very strange concept in practice...at least a small amount of the time I kinda knew what I was meant to be doing, haha...the rest not so much. My final score an embarassing 13 for Saturday's comp, only 10 for Sunday. And yes, they are each out of 50 shots. Hmmm!

Yeah I know, only early days yet. All I have to do is relinquish one Saturday pistol shoot/month [not that easy to give up heh] and I can get some general instruction instead of not knowing the hell what I'm doing...

Anyway, here are the pics I got. Gonna take a while to get em all up with dialup so bear with me OK:

Saturday

5-stand on the benchrest range

waiting

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-25-2009, 10:58 AM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Continued...

George, RANRRC captain

clays

club guns

Sunday

Matt, RANRRC armourer & fanatical pig-shooter

Old 10-25-2009, 12:23 PM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Last lot

Highest score:

A grade - 45 Saturday, 42 Sunday

Old 10-25-2009, 02:36 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hang in there. You'll get it. It takes a lot of practice... I shot skeet a few weeks ago, and only hit 8 out of 24. First time shooting since last duck season.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:30 PM   #5

Liked 373 Times on 254 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Keep at it. It'll come to you in time. I know that where you are at it may be difficult getting practice time, but practice is what it is going to take. Also I learned in my early teens to keep bpth eyes open when shooting clays. It was very difficult to do this at first but when I got the hang of it I got real good at it.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:52 PM   #6

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

Looks like a fun weekend anyway. Keep praticing, mate. You'll get it. Gotta develop new habits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 10-25-2009, 11:14 PM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
Keep at it. It'll come to you in time. I know that where you are at it may be difficult getting practice time, but practice is what it is going to take. Also I learned in my early teens to keep bpth eyes open when shooting clays. It was very difficult to do this at first but when I got the hang of it I got real good at it.
Hear ya on that! Very hard not to shut one eye...tried keeping both open and was getting vision of two barrels (which was a bit uh, distracting )

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Looks like a fun weekend anyway. Keep praticing, mate. You'll get it. Gotta develop new habits.
Absolutely skull! Having been shooting rifle right-handed that's the side I chose to use on Saturday; in retrospect not such a great idea since now I have a bruise the size of Texas on my right shoulder due to poor mount position Sunday it was obviously out of action so I shot left handed (since I am lefty anyway) and yeah, hardly any as it felt natural

Should have realised that beforehand huh lol